What will you do if D* doesn't announce new national HD channels today???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Today is the day of the 'big' press announcement session at CES. So far none of the press releases haven't mentioned the turn up of any new national HD channels, such as TNT-HD, Cinemax-HD or Starz-HD.

If there aren't any new channels announced as available or coming soon, as in a couple of weeks, will you stick it out with D* or go to another provider? Just curious what the mood of the group is out there.

I have both Dish and Directv and I am going to choose one come May. I saw Dish's announced HD locals and hartford/new Haven is not listed. Thats a strike against. I like the 942 unit and the 622 is improving on that unit. However, I own 2 HD Tivos and right now, its the mainstay of the house.

I like the Voom stuff but overall, Tivo rules in my house. For me, its gonna come down to 2 things come May. Who has the most HD channels and the best MPEG4 hardware path. Right now, there are too many unknowns to make that decision. I am very curious about Directv and Media Center coming together. That may sway me to D* as I flirt with my Media Center and Xbox 360.

If Directv does announce a bunch of new HD channels, then I think we may have a winner.

I plan to jump off a bridge. Let me know when it happens because I don't want to be late for my jump. :)
-JustBob

Be pissed. Will I do anything about it? No because I don't have any other options. I already have E*'s HD package for TNT-HD (NASCAR) and could add the V* channels, but none of them interest me like a couple more movie channels such as MAX-HD or Starz-HD would.

Not leaving D* as long as my Tivo's work. When they no longer work, and if they haven't gotten the bugs out of the new ones, then maybe.

What about National Feeds?

I also know that National Geo. Channel is going HD by the end of the month, and the Outdoor Channel 2 is already in HD. There is also Playboy in HD, TNT HD, Cmax HD, Staz HD, TMC HD.

I would like to see them add a UPN and WB station to the distance HD feeds, as I like in a white zone.

I agree with most that DTV needs to add some new national HD feeds bad. I know they want to add locals first, they should at least put 10 new National feeds for everybody.

I agree Herdfan. I keep thinking about leaving and comparing this and that but at the end of the day, my family loves the Tivo and I love having 2 HD Tivos. I got the second one for 199. I too just want more channels. Simple as that. All the other things at CES are just fluff and stuff. More compeling HD content/channels is the key.

I along with the other long suffering D* HD subs continue to be disappointed. However since I am 100 air miles from my DMA and the local cable company has no plans for HD, I don't have many options. It gets even more frustrating when they announce things like Direct Date but say nothing about more HD. D* is significantly contributing to my winter blahs! Maybe some is "just around the corner".

can't do much. just became a subscriber 5 months ago to get the HD TIVO for 200 bucks and I'm locked in a 2 year contract! Luckily I also qualified for the HD Networks so currently the ammount of HD I have it's not bad. I also had dish with voom right now.

rad said:
Today is the day of the 'big' press announcement session at CES. So far none of the press releases haven't mentioned the turn up of any new national HD channels, such as TNT-HD, Cinemax-HD or Starz-HD.
If there aren't any new channels announced as available or coming soon, as in a couple of weeks, will you stick it out with D* or go to another provider? Just curious what the mood of the group is out there.

The D* press release from two days ago mentioned all sorts of fluff (dating, video cameras in video games) and more HD locals but no mention of national HD channels.

I am in the same situation as Fgsilva so....

Yours,
Bitterly Disappointed

so did the press release happen yet???

update: the new press release will be tonite at 6:30!

Last edited:
Just to add salt to the wound Dish just added 5 HD channels to their Voom package. Kind of a rag-tag bunch of channels but they are boasting that they have twice the number of HD channels (non local) than any other satellite network.

I hope D* are listening...

yep. but the channels they're adding are only going to be on MPG4 which has made all of dish current customers really pissed!!!!

Gatobrit said:
Just to add salt to the wound Dish just added 5 HD channels to their Voom package. Kind of a rag-tag bunch of channels but they are boasting that they have twice the number of HD channels (non local) than any other satellite network.

I hope D* are listening...

Tonight's press release/announcement is going to be about the press release they released on Monday. ;) :D :(

Tele-TV said:
Tonight's press release/announcement is going to be about the press release they released on Monday. ;) :D :(
If that's what it turns out to be, Comcast is getting a call tomorrow morning and my D* subscription gets downgraded.

The dish vip622 is looking better and better every day. Especially if we dont get many new nationals until mid 2007.

mthompso105 said:
I don't plan to make any changes based on one's days announcement, or no announcement.

I also plan NO MOVE until I see SW2 is under DirecTV's control and their testing is finished. I will begin looking for something within 30 days of that.

AND that means I'm only interested in 3 maybe 4 national HDs at the most. Most of what is ready for DirecTV to add is total CRAP, rehashed, repetitive and/or upconverted junk and I don't want to be adding channels just so I call tell my buddies how cool I think I am because my system has the most HD or more than yours. We call that "keeping up with the Jones" aka "Jonesn' and thats for teenagers.

DirecTV's overall plan and future is still best overall, but people have to understand things must all be in place before they can make moves happen somewhere other than in a press release. They can't just snap fingers. They also have to appeal to 15+ million not just we HD heads. I have been with Dish and cable before and they need a lot more than what they currently have (and announced) before I would go back. This included hardaware, software and mostly customer service.

Last edited:
Nothing. If in 2007 DirecTV 10 and 11 aren't up for some reason I'll switch to cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)