What will you do if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

What will you if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want the Big 10 network. I'd love to cheer my Gophers on. However, I think it should be part of a higher tier or a la carte. I'd even pay extra for it.

I actually agree with E* on this one. The Big 10 is NOT the NFL. The Big 10 doesn't need to set a precedent. I would hate to think that my bill would go up to watch the *shudder* Big East or WAC network. :eek:

If you think the HBO's, Showtime's, TLC don't ever ask for rate hikes you are mistaken. To blame any rise in a bill on sports programming is stupid.

HBOs and Showtimes?

You really are dumb. Those are premiums thus don't cost the average customer 1 penny that's the point. Oh and notice they do just fine as premiums because they offer a product people want and are willing to pay for.

As for SHOPPING CHANNELS, those are MY FAVORITE. Do I watch them? hell no. They are my favorite because they PAY to be on Dish and thus LOWER MY BILL.

Every channel charges as much as the market will bear. That is a constant.

What do you mean by "market"? Who is the consumer? Don't say the cable/dbs customer. They clearly aren't the consumer. They aren't choosing whether or not to buy a particular station.

HBOs and Showtimes?

You really are dumb. Those are premiums thus don't cost the average customer 1 penny that's the point. Oh and notice they do just fine as premiums because they offer a product people want and are willing to pay for.

As for SHOPPING CHANNELS, those are MY FAVORITE. Do I watch them? hell no. They are my favorite because they PAY to be on Dish and thus LOWER MY BILL.

Jeff it was a blanket statement as TLC was also included but if felt better calling me dumb so be it. Feel better?
teu42.gif
Further if you want to have 300 shopping channels and pay $5 a month for 400 channels of crap-o-vision you have that right but I would rather shell out some more tokens and get what I want when I want it.

so let's drop 30 of the fluff crap from E* that 4 people watch. We all get lower rates, the people who want BTN get it, and more transponders are freed up for more mpeg4 HD.
the argument sports channels are killing your bill is silly. What about the dozens of channels no one watches but pay for????:rolleyes:

There are no such channels.

E* doesn't add channels that no one watches. It costs them huge of amounts of money to uplink one channel, they certainly only add channels that people are interested in.

One constant trend is that most people are totally clueless about other people and what they like. People tend to socialize with people who are like themselves, and so have no idea about the other ones.

PS Each sports channels charges more than any non-sports channel. (The only exception are the "a la carte" channels like HBO).

What do you mean by "market"? Who is the consumer? Don't say the cable/dbs customer. They clearly aren't the consumer. They aren't choosing whether or not to buy a particular station.

Sorry, but I am going to say the customer. The providers assemble packages of channels which are sold to customers. Most people have the choice of going with a local cable company, D* or E*. Each one of these providers offers multiple tiers and options.

The channels within those packages and tiers, with the price of each, is what makes the ultimate product (i.e. a subscription) attractive to the customer.

Too few channels, doesn't attract that many customers. Too high a price for the perceived value of the package, likewise.

Thus in the end, it is customer demand for the channels, combined with the price they are willing to pay for the service, that drives the price of each channel.

A channel that has low ratings, or one that viewers don't care much about, cannot demand a premium price. They can try to demand one, but no one will pay it. A provider would drop them and elect to withstand the complaints from their customers.

In the case of the BTN, there are a certain number of customers who really want the channel and will put pressure on their providers to offer it. So the BTN is attempting to use that leverage to generate the maximum amount of revenue. If they set the price too high, they run the risk of alienating their own customer base and having them side with the provider's management. If they set it too low, then everyone will carry them, but they won't generate an acceptable level of revenue.

The same is true for every channel. I'm sure the E! channel attempts to get every last dollar they can squeeze out of the providers and advertisers. To charge the most they can without having D* or E* or Comcast or whomever drop them from their lineup.

In the end, it all comes down to customer demand and maximizing revenue.

Finally, it is over now.
Thanks Dish:up:D

......literally hours after I made a deal to switch to D*. :neener Install scheduled for next week. Sorry, Charlie but you were a bit late with me. I could cancel my install but I think I'll move ahead with it. You still don't carry EI and I'm pretty sure you won't carry the NHL network either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)