What will you do if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

What will you if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B10 Network

Just called Dish customer service, dude told me no way they get the BTN in time for 9/1/07, and also sounded VERY pessimistic about getting the channel at all this Fall.

When I inquired about what it would cost to break my contract, he gave me the details very directly with no emotion or attempt to dissuade me. I guess they really don't care if people leave over the BTN-and I live in Cleveland.

Oh well, I guess I'll see if Directv can help me cover the cost to break my contract to come to them.

When I inquired about what it would cost to break my contract, he gave me the details very directly with no emotion or attempt to dissuade me. I guess they really don't care if people leave over the BTN
What exactly could he do ?? You're threatening to quit over the lack of a channel that he can't magically add for you in order to get you to stay.
Oh well, I guess I'll see if Directv can help me cover the cost to break my contract to come to them.
DirecTV has something you want bad enough that you'll quit your current provider over. Sounds like offering you the Big 10 Network is all they need to do.... If you're not willing to eat the fees from Dish, how bad do you really want the B10N ?

What I wanted from Dish was something to the effect of "sir, we value your cash and would be disappointed if you sent your monthly payments to Rupert Murdoch and Fox Corp. instead of us."

Also something like "we will not have BTN for the opening weeks of the season, but we are diligently trying to come to a compromise that will allow us to carry the channel without totally screwing Big 10 fans or make them switch to Directv."

Instead, I got a rep who really could have cared less if they lost me as a customer.

As a bonus, Directv carries my locals in HD while Dish does not.

People that watch college ball either have kids on that team, or no lives.

And fewer people will leave E* over the Big Ten game networks than left of Extra Innings. Why? Because less people than that care.

Zero327, does Dish have any memos out regarding this channel and what to tell customers who call in ? Many people have posted different comments that phone reps have made but nothing real consistent. Sounds more like the reps have just "heard" things and otherwise make up answers.

I'd love to know how few people have cancelled over this too. Is that available ?

Zero327, does Dish have any memos out regarding this channel and what to tell customers who call in ? Many people have posted different comments that phone reps have made but nothing real consistent. Sounds more like the reps have just "heard" things and otherwise make up answers.

They definitely know about it Hall. FWIW I called yesterday to cancel Dish. Both the customer service and retention departments sounded like they had heard my call before. When I told each department I was interested in the BTN they both immediately responded by saying, "ok but did you know that most of the Big Ten games will be available through ESPN and ABC?" The fact that they both replied with the exact same question, verbatim, tells me that they are coached on this subject. The fact that they both replied immediately without having to look anything up or ask any manager tells me they've had others with the same call.

Is E* going to fold because of the loss of revenue from customers leaving for BTN on D*? No, of course not. Are a significant number of people leaving? We don't know that, we can only speculate.

I can only say that the biggest B10 fans I know (all OSU fans) are staying put. In fact, one of them told me he hopes the network folds before every conference begins doing this. He won't switch due to long term ramifications.

People that watch college ball either have kids on that team, or no lives.

And fewer people will leave E* over the Big Ten game networks than left of Extra Innings. Why? Because less people than that care.

Yea there really isn't much interest is this channel at all, there's another thread on this site with 60+ pages.
You got no clue!!!

I think the poll results speak for themselves! ;)

This speaks tons about what people really think. Far less people will leave Dish for direct than others who left because of the basball debacle. Maybe a few hundred or more in likely only a few dozen will pull up stakes and leave. I just get a BIG kick out of people who "threaten" to leave because there isn't some obscure channel not offered. I personally think Dish or Direct should ban for years those who leave out of spite. Why should they welcome them back only to be kicked again because they aren't offering the Big 10 corn husking league.

This speaks tons about what people really think. Far less people will leave Dish for direct than others who left because of the basball debacle. Maybe a few hundred or more in likely only a few dozen will pull up stakes and leave. I just get a BIG kick out of people who "threaten" to leave because there isn't some obscure channel not offered. I personally think Dish or Direct should ban for years those who leave out of spite. Why should they welcome them back only to be kicked again because they aren't offering the Big 10 corn husking league.

Just for clarification, the "corn husking league" would be the Big 12 :D

15% of poll responders will leave if B10 is not added, taking that number down to even 5% is still a pretty large hit to a subscriber base, plus factor in losses of new subscribers, with Comcast playing REAL Hardball, and its well known in the media to the masses, there is a large group of potential customers in play that could be ADDED if E* adds Big 10 in the near future.

(3) stories in the Dayton Daily News about this again.... And again, very underwhelming support for Time Warner (apparently the writers don't know that anything else exists) to add the channel. A quote from a TW person did say that the B10N is still insisting on carriage on the basic/standard tier.

Change my poll result to switching

I called Dish Network on 8/28 and the guy I talked with assured me that I could get the B10 games, but that Dish wouldn't carry the BTN?!? After beating my head against a wall trying to explain to this guy that BTN does not equal ESPN/ESPN2/ABC/ESPNU, I decided to investigate switching service.

I then called DTV and signed up for service here in Cleveland. I will drop my Dish Network after DTV hooks me up.

I ended up having to pay roughly $100 out of pocket to switch after all the rebates ($300 in DTV rebates/referral minus $200 in Dish and $200 in DTV charges) I'm hopeful that the cable dude can come this saturday and swap dishes/boxes. I think $100 to guarantee my Buckeyes football/hoops/classic on tv for the next two years is good enough, and throw in the fact that I am spending roughly the same monthly price, getting better equipment (50 hours of HD DVR), 95 more channels, HD locals from satellite and satellite radio make it worth it.

If you can drive a hard bargain, and use a referral for signing up, you can probably get the DTV package (with free Sunday Ticket this fall) for about $100 like I did plus $70/month for service.

If anybody wants a referral to save an additional $50, call the Directv customer signup line at 866.443.8869 and use my account number (75022446.) Email me at bartsca@ccf.org if you have any questions; I used a referral from some dude on the internet yesterday and it worked great.

15% of poll responders will leave if B10 is not added, taking that number down to even 5% is still a pretty large hit to a subscriber base, plus factor in losses of new subscribers, with Comcast playing REAL Hardball, and its well known in the media to the masses, there is a large group of potential customers in play that could be ADDED if E* adds Big 10 in the near future.

I tried pointing this out a few pages back and got flamed for it. Anyway I signed up for D* yesterday. I was very polite to the E* customer service and rentention departments and I made sure I told them what I liked and disliked about their service (with BTN being my reason for leaving). I'm not sure how far any feedback will go but it doesn't hurt.

For the most part I liked E*, their DVR and PQ were great IMHO. I'm sure that E* will get the BTN sometime in the future but I did not want to go through another HD RSN fiascal (waited 11 months for mine). In the end I felt like I paid enough money to Dish every month to not have to complain, whine and beg for every channel that wanted.

HD Locals Thru Antenna - Guide

Remote (Aux mode)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)