What will you do if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

What will you if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So look at it this way, 171 of 200 dont care, fine. but 29 of 200 do.

So if you extend that out to 2 Million subscribers instead of 200, 290000 do care.

and if you lost half of that to your competition, even 1/4 of that, thats a huge hit on your business.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thank you.

So look at it this way, 171 of 200 dont care, fine. but 29 of 200 do.

So if you extend that out to 2 Million subscribers instead of 200, 290000 do care.

and if you lost half of that to your competition, even 1/4 of that, thats a huge hit on your business.
and with 13.5 million customers thats a tiny number!

Please don't try to infer anything from this poll! It should be for the amusement of our little, slightly insane group on this board, nothing else. As somebody else said, it is not scientific and cannot really tell us anything (in either direction, pro or anti "caring" about BTN). I am sure that E* has their own poll data that they are using as one piece of information in making a decision about adding the BTN.

2 million out of 13.5 million is a large percentage, and something Dish would worry about. However, this is in no way a scientfic poll. Honestly, I would guess than less than 200,000 subscribers really care if they get the BTN ever makes it to Dish or not (or care enough to cancel or change providers).

My point is. If you really think by not adding this channel ,they are going to lose millions of customers your Dreaming. If I even cared enough about this channel to even think about leaving E* all they would have to do is give me a $5 credit per month instead,and I would stay. As will, I'm sure 50% of your vote would too.

My question is why are more and more sports team finding it necessay to have their own channel and raising the rates that everyone pays per month wether they watch it or not?

YES Network is a perfect example of this crap!

Now we got the Big Ten Network forcing this same crap down everyones throates.

Everyone bitches and moans when theyr can't see their favorite team, but the way I see it, Blame the team for starting their own network not the provider forced to carry it.

By complaining and switching providers, you simply create a bigger demand for this crap and force your current provider pay more than what the channel is actually worth.

What Dish is trying to do is not give in and make these teams think twice before starting their own network, because the more successfull this is the more and more teams we will see decide to get their own network.

Its bad enough the Yankees want something like $2 per subscriber, imagine what that would cost if each professional team in an area demanded the same thing.

You could potentially have $10-$15/mo out of your cable or satellite bill just to cover sports programming

I think 200,000 may be low, but I guess it depends on who gets Dish in the first place. I keep thinking about Basketball season. While people have been focusing on FB, the BTN just announced this week that two-thirds of conference games are going to be on the network. That seems about right, because that is about the percentage that used to be covered by local networks (buying ESPN regional) and ESPN full court. I think that sports consumers don't like losing what they have grown accustomed to, and come basketball season, alot of fans in the midwest will realize (if not sooner) that the majority of their favorite team's games will not be available on Dish. Will it motivate people to ditch the dish? I dunno, but if E* doesn't get it, I guess we will be arguing in six months about how many customers they lost. ;')

That must be why they are pushing it for free. If D* is going to have it.I'm sure E* will . It looks like the channel would be needed to view these games.And for D* to add it to one of their lower base packs for free,it must not be to expensive .I think your all to worried about nothing.You may not have it right away but I can bet it won't be long after.They claim to have deals with 75 other cable providers. If E* skips on adding this channel I would be surprized.

BTN cost is $1.10 per subscriber in the Big Ten states and $.10 per subscriber in the rest of the country. Pretty High cost in the Big Ten states & thats why no major cable company here has picked it up yet.

What Dish is trying to do is not give in and make these teams think twice before starting their own network, because the more successfull this is the more and more teams we will see decide to get their own network.

You could potentially have $10-$15/mo out of your cable or satellite bill just to cover sports programming

Understand and agree with your point generally, but I really don't think Dish is "trying to teach the BTN a lesson"--I remain optimistic (based on what little info we have garnered) that Dish will reach a deal that they see as reasonable (which may have been what you meant).

And regarding the 10-15 dollars a month to cover sports programming, there are plenty of subscribers that pay more than that for sports programming now. Just count up the number of people who order NFL ST on Directv, MLB EI on D* and cable, NBA on several carriers, etc.

And as a customer I have to wonder about the wisdom, for example, of giving us all these HD RSNs when they are all blacked out/have no programming 95% of the time. Or all these Voom channels with programming that almost entirely repeats itself. Some of the stuff they do just doesn't make alot of sense to me.
Do you think Dish is paying for the HD RSNs as if they're 24/7 channels ?? I doubt it....

Something tells me that they have a deal with Rainbow Media regarding the VOOM channels.

This is the same argument as "true" HD versus "HD-Lite". EVERYTHING has a few people who are passionately devoted to it, a larger number of people who enjoy it, and a vastly larger number of people who would never notice if it vanished from the universe forever.

A company like Dish has to juggle cost of providing services, subscriber fees and turnover, and what those will do to their profit margin, for every channel and feature they do (or don't) provide. Their obligations are more to their stockholders than to their subscribers. Yes, it's in their business interest to keep their subscribers happy, but for every X number of people who will leave if a channel or feature isn't provided, another Y number of people will leave if providing that channel or feature raises their rates. You and I don't know what those numbers are, and it's not in Dish's business interests to let us know.

It's perfectly appropriate to vote with your feet. It's also appropriate to voice your opinion here. But for G*d's sake, can we stop with the "everybody has to adopt my agenda or I'm going to make life miserable for you all" approach?

Why is the Big Ten doing it?

"If ESPN can do it, so can we."

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

A more protracted answer to the question for why the Big Ten is doing it would include likely: Title IX pressures, coupled with declining (proportionately) support for public universities via state and federal dollars, the ridiculous escalation of major college coach salaries, the "failure" (in some people's eyes) to have ESPN regional sports (the old provider) cover enough games to satisfy the Big Ten, the totally self-serving actions of ESPN last fall (e.g., moving #1 Ohio State game v. Indiana to little subscribed to venture ESPNU to increase subscribers), throw in a little out and out greed, stir in a little strategy of marketing the conference nationally to potential students (see #2), and throw in a pan and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Voila! The mess we now have!

Remember, the reason that DirecTV "signed on" in the first place is simple: News Corp owns Fox Sports. Fox Sports owns 49% of BTN. News Corp has it in their best interest to see their business venture succeed. News Corp owns DirecTV: it would be incredibly bad business to exclude that distribution channel and those 16 million TV households and businesses from viewing a series of events and programs they have a vested interest in.

To News Corp, any costs associated with carrying BTN are simply a transfer on the ledger sheets from one division to another. Doesn't matter if DirecTV agreed to pay $0.10/sub/mo or $1.10/sub/mo or even $5/sub/mo. Almost half the money stays within News Corp.

A couple of points

1) Most of the votes being cast can be assumed to be from out of the B10 region. Frankly, those votes mean almost nothing. E* knows they aren't going to get hit hard in New Mexico and Alabama from not carrying the BTN. This is all about retaining subs within the B10 region.

2) It has been mentioned that this is not a random population, and is perhaps a fanatic sample, as are all SatGuy polls. However there is no reason to think that Satguy readers are more fanatical about sports than the average E* sub. I'm sure we are more fanatical about HD and equipment and all things E*. If anything, the results of this poll indicate that sports is not all that important to the typical forum member.

HD Locals Thru Antenna - Guide

Remote (Aux mode)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)