What will you do if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

What will you if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe the poll should have choices for "Are you in a Big Ten State" in addition to the option of Switch/No Switch?

Being in Ohio, I would prefer to see all the Big10 games for Ohio State and be able to check on the rest of the league during their creampuff schedule. But viewing all the blowouts is not critical to my life, and I can supplement my viewing with top notch games from the other conferences. And since I just signed up with Dish in June, I cannot break my contract if a deal fails to materialize.

I almost wonder if the net result of this could be that in order for BTN to make people outraged by not seeing their favorite school the B10 schools will be pressured to schedule fewer creampuffs in their non-B10 schedule. Realizing that schedules are made 5-10 years in advance, I'll be interested to see if future open dates start to be filled with quality teams other than Youngstown State, Appalachin State or SE Louisiana School of the Deaf.

Actually 20% is quite high ... considering probably half the people voting are not in Big Ten country. And 35% of the people are not happy!
There's a short story in my local newspaper, in Ohio, that talks about this. It requires registration to read so if you're interested, sign up. Anyway, there's comments and I didn't count the for or against posts, but I'd venture to say more people don't care if the channel gets added. NOTE: This column is in the sports section of the paper and website so you'd think sports fans are the majority of the ones reading it.

BTN likely to be cast off as quick as ESPNU

Dish is on a short leash for me. They threw up the white flag on Extra Innings and now BTN is in question. My commitment goes through April. Just in time for the new MLB season and EI....on DirecTV. For those who don't care (BTW, it's "I couldn't care less" not "could").....you will begin to care if enough of us get fed up and leave for another carrier. A smaller subscriber base is not in the best interests of Dish customers.

16 percent of a fanatical base of people (this forum) is not very good, IMO. People on this site are never happy, we always want more (notice I said we). However, to the average person, the BTN is probably not that big of a deal.

I want to see as many OSU games as possible, but I don't need the network (I won't watch anything besides the football games on it anyway). My dad went to OSU but he refuses to switch providers just to watch Ohio State football. I think there are a lot more people like the two of us than there are like the fanatical fans on this board.

Perhaps I could have added an option for those who want the channel but won't let it influence their choice of provider. I'm not sure it would have changed the overall picture. In theory "don't care" means you could still want the channel but it won't change your feelings towards Dish. Perhaps my bias towards adding the channel comes through a bit but it wasn't intended.

As for breaking it out to those who live in Big Ten states I think that would have been confusing and I'm not sure it's relevant. Maybe it does if only because the cost per sub is so much higher. It's probably a safe assumption that a majority of those who would be upset are in the midwest but the overall numbers wouldn't change.

I will listen to the radio broadcast, and it's still free...... for now. Don Fischer does a great job calling the games, both Football and Basketball.

So lets say these numbers are grossly inflated...lets bring the numbers down and see what people say...

if 2% of Subscribers leave in September due to not having B10, and another 5% leave in the next 6 months (once B-Ball season starts, another big fanbase gets impacted), thats stil ALOT of subscribers... If not adding one channel could cost you to lose 5% of your base to your competition, thats a lot more than "normal" churn... and you can bet that new customers would suffer a similar decline.

Wow ... relax elwaylite! You shouldn't care! You live in South Carolina. Just like I wouldn't care if there was a Southeast Conference Channel. I care because I live in Big Ten country.

Sorry, little harsh.

Guess I just Dish would either say yay or nay so we dont have to keep seeing the same posts over and over again.

Actually 20% is quite high ... considering probably half the people voting are not in Big Ten country. And 35% of the people are not happy!

That's 20% of forum members who decided to vote.
I would say the the number is much, much lower for the general Dish subscriber population.

That's 20% of forum members who decided to vote.
I would say the the number is much, much lower for the general Dish subscriber population.
And most forum members who don't care about BTN won't even read this thread, much less vote in the poll.

First, good idea Posty to break this thread out from the other. Second, I would imagine that the big factor behind the 'animosity' (might be too strong of a word) associated with the BTN is the cost issue. We rarely see this kind of programming negotiations take place in the public arena. My guess is that if the Food Network had announced last year they would make their network available to Dish, but it would cost subscribers 1.00 each, we would see the same responses. Also, I do think that for most people, changing providers is pretty dramatic (and now with all of the commitments we have, expensive) of an option for people. I was thinking of a parallel. What if we had a poll that asked if Dish doesn't carry Chiller Network in HD come Sept 1st, what would people do. My guess is you could substitute any particular network and find similar (or worse) numbers. Most people are not going to switch providers over one network. Also, I have seen people characterize the BTN as a niche channel. Well, I think most networks are niche channels, with the exceptions being the networks and a few channels that provide multiple programming. Of course, some people might want to note that despite the fact that the BTN covers only one conference, sports programs draw the highest ratings of any non-network programming on cable or satellite. That is why ESPN asks for a ridiculous amount of money. They know they can. Another thing that should be pointed out--while the BTN early schedule is filled with mismatches, as I have stated before, they will have 2nd choice of games on 3 weeks this season, so there will be a few "good" matchups that will not be available. And wait until basketball season...

I will conclude my stream of consciousness post by saying that I, like alot of my fellow posters, wish that the BTN never existed. This is just another troubling trend in chasing the dollar in college sports. However, I have seen what I consider to be a rational business strategy employed by both E* and BTN in these negotiations. The BTN should want to maximize profit by 'forcing' its way into the basic (digital) tier of cable and satellite. E* should want to force them to a sports tier, where the cost is lowest for them and they still provide the service to those customers who want it. I have to admit that I have gotten a chuckle or two from posters who have said that what the BTN is trying to do is "anti-capitalism". I think some of those posters need to recognize that what they mean is that it is anti-competitive, not anti-capitalism. It is soooo consistent with modern corporate capitalism...

Sorry, little harsh.

Guess I just Dish would either say yay or nay so we dont have to keep seeing the same posts over and over again.

No problem ... and I would feel the same way if I was you! I think the channel has some really great programming for the true Big Ten fan but agree the average customer shouldn't have to pay for it. I really am a true Dish Network fan (7 years) and hopethey get this channel on ... but preferably not at others expense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)