What will you do if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

What will you if Dish doesn't add the Big Ten Network?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
15% of poll responders will leave if B10 is not added, taking that number down to even 5% is still a pretty large hit to a subscriber base, plus factor in losses of new subscribers, with Comcast playing REAL Hardball, and its well known in the media to the masses, there is a large group of potential customers in play that could be ADDED if E* adds Big 10 in the near future.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. I was listening to the radio on my way into work this morning and they were talking to a DirecTV and DISH Network retailer about BTN. He was talking about how there's currently about a 2 week wait for a DirecTV install if you call today to order.

I honestly think E* is missing the boat on this one. We're not talking just about people switching over from E* to D*, but all the new subscribers who are finally cutting the cable and going with a dish. It's happening people! COMCAST wants to play hardball and there are going to be thousands/millions of people in the midwest alone who want to see their teams play. For every day local cable companies aren't offering BTN, there are people making the switch. Currently D* is picking up all of those customers.

Don't you think Charlie would want a piece of that pie? He always talks about compelling programing and I think this is an obvious choice. If Charlie wants to play hardball too, he can sit and watch the massive flow of new subscribers go to DirecTV.

So, we can have our little arguments here on how relevant this channel is in the grand scheme of things, but in reality there currently is a huge market of people that will be making the switch to satellite. Currently E* is missing out on that opportunity.

Well, with the report of 80 HD channels being uplinked on the DirecTV side of the house, I don't see where E* has much wiggle room on the Big Ten issue. I predict they will have no choice but to negotiate a deal to make BTN available to everyone with AT100.

Well, with the report of 80 HD channels being uplinked on the DirecTV side of the house, I don't see where E* has much wiggle room on the Big Ten issue. I predict they will have no choice but to negotiate a deal to make BTN available to everyone with AT100.

Good point. Even though the average person has no idea about "uplinked" channels you can bet E* has taken note of this recent activity.

Well,
1. It is not known yet how many of those uplinked channels wil be in HD and how many will be just streched ar zoomed upconverted ones.
2. As far as East, West coast feeds, the true value of the second feed with HD DVR is very minimal.
3. As far as Big10, I agree, E* should add it ASAP.

So let's wait and see what will happen. It is sure interesting times again.

BIASED !

No choice available:

" I will leave Dish Network if they DO ADD Big 10 Network. "

because that means that the costs are being passed to all 12 million subscribers.

BIASED !

No choice available:

" I will leave Dish Network if they DO ADD Big 10 Network. "

because that means that the costs are being passed to all 12 million subscribers.

Haha I'm busted. I guess my assumption was that Dish would add the channel on good terms. But perhaps there really is no reasonable way to add BTN AND all the conference sports nets that will follow to AT250.

One reason E* has my business is that they are the sports leader when it comes to soccer. AT250 includes FSC, Gol, and the spanish nets. To get that with D* would require an assortment of packages. Not to mention E* has La Liga HD...sometimes.

Tired of these channels trying to push themselves, No I'm not a huge Big10 fan, But even if the conference I was interested in did this, I would not want to subscribe to prove a point, and hopefully, these people who think up this stuff will realize it won't work, and just leave everything alone.

Here's the beef

When it's all said and done, everybody who thinks they HAVE to have the BTN, will probably only watch 1/10 of the schedule. Once you have it, who cares? This is all about "we can't have it".

I'll cheer. I'm tired of my rates going up because all the sports addicts have to have this, and that, and this - and then don't pay the whole thing so I get stuck paying some of it too >_>

OotLink - What channels do you watch? I bet alot of the "sports addicts" dont watch any of your channels and hate having to be stuck paying for them. So it goes both ways.

OotLink - What channels do you watch? I bet alot of the "sports addicts" dont watch any of your channels and hate having to be stuck paying for them. So it goes both ways.

NO IT DOESN'T GO BOTH WAYS. How many times do I have to tell you? Are you really that BRAINDEAD? SportsChannels like this one cost more than 5-10 regular channels. It's sportschannels that are SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for for the escalating cable/dbs bills.

DEAL WITH IT, and STOP DENYING IT!

so let's drop 30 of the fluff crap from E* that 4 people watch. We all get lower rates, the people who want BTN get it, and more transponders are freed up for more mpeg4 HD.
the argument sports channels are killing your bill is silly. What about the dozens of channels no one watches but pay for????:rolleyes:

NO IT DOESN'T GO BOTH WAYS. How many times do I have to tell you? Are you really that BRAINDEAD? SportsChannels like this one cost more than 5-10 regular channels. It's sportschannels that are SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for for the escalating cable/dbs bills.

If you think the HBO's, Showtime's, TLC don't ever ask for rate hikes you are mistaken. To blame any rise in a bill on sports programming is stupid.

Maybe they should stop adding locals in HD for smaller markets, thats taking up sat space and i bet they dont make any money off of it (cost of space/# subs x $5), and I am subsidizing that, as it makes them need to launch more sats to cover it. same goes for the HD content I pay for and dont watch. theres always an argument over paying for things you dont watch, that cost you money. EVERYONE has to do it, blaming a certain channel or type of channel for your bills increase is ludicrous, there are MANY factors in play.

Not anywhere close to accurate. Get a clue.

From what I've read, E* and TWC have one strong issue with adding BTN--they do NOT want to put this into every home, which is the ONLY requirement from BTN. BTN has said they were flexible on everything else, but they would remain firm on requiring that this be a basic tier channel.

Sorry, but I agree that this belongs in a sports tier, even though I'm in the Big 10 area and would probably watch the channel infrequently.

Last edited:

HD Locals Thru Antenna - Guide

Remote (Aux mode)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)