What will you use for heat this Winter

What will your primary source of heat be?

• Gas(propane or natural)

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Electric

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • kerosene Oil

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Wood

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other(please post what other is)

Votes: 11 7.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I was just curious with all the gas prices up and down. What is everyone using for their primary source of heat this Winter. Gas, Kerosene, Wood, Electric....etc..

I have a wood heater and that is what I am using with a couple of plug in portable electric heaters to knock the chill off. Primarily I am using wood this year.

I posted a similar thread a couple of years ago just out of curiosity, was going to do it last year but forgot, so here it is again with a poll this time. You can only select one option in the poll, 'cause I'm interested in your primary source of heat. Also if anyone would like to expand upon their reply about changing sources over the last 2-3 winters because of gas prices.

Our house is all electric. The only other primary source of fuel for heat around here is natural gas.

Pellet stove, and oil fired hot water baseboards.

You should add heating oil (aka diesel) to the post, as that's what a lot of people use up north.

I have an all electric home, so that's it for me. I also supplement with wood in the fireplace. On really cold days it keeps the furnace from working so hard. I would rather have gas heat, as it tends to heat more efficiently and isn't so dry. But with the price of gas the last couple years, electric has become more appealing.

Our winter temps average in the 40s, so electric is fine for us here.

90+ Two stage Gas furnace, supplimented with my air tight wood burner ....
Gets normally as low as 0 up here (gets worse the farther north,I'd perfer the 40's for a low :))
Furnace usually doesn't run much till about 4 am when I have the fire stoked up when I go to bed.

Jimbo

Our winter temps average in the 40s, so electric is fine for us here.
Here in the Poconos Pa the 40's is the average high temp for this month. Our winters average the mid to upper 20's ,lows in the teens. but goes well below zero many times during late January to early Febuary. Its expensive no matter what you have. Oil and Wood/Pellets are the most common.

Electric heating unit for all of the house. Gas logs fireplace for ther greatroom sometime. I live in the south so I rarely have to use it. Wish I were like Don and had solar!!!

Last edited:
Electric heating unit for all of the house. Gas logs fireplace for ther greatroom sometime. I live in the south so I rarely have to use it. Wish I was like Don and had solar!!!

Me too. Our summer electric bills wouldn't be over $200 a month on average for a 1400 sq ft house if we had solar.

Electric here which is a bit odd in this area but a couple towns in this area have municipal electric companies that are owned by the towns and have greatly reduced rates. In the summer, blasting the AC I average about $50 and in the coldest winter months (upstate NY, so there are some cold ones!) about $110.

Electric here which is a bit odd in this area but a couple towns in this area have municipal electric companies that are owned by the towns and have greatly reduced rates. In the summer, blasting the AC I average about $50 and in the coldest winter months (upstate NY, so there are some cold ones!) about $110.
Thats cheap! My electric bill is about $185 per month and thats without using the electric heat. We have a 4000 SQ foot house and if I just use the electric heat my bill is around $600 per month in the winter. So we have 3 gas/wood stoves and 1 pellet stove. so on average we spend about $450 per month in the winter. And summer about $250 for AC per month with the electric.

I was just curious with all the gas prices up and down. What is everyone using for their primary source of heat this Winter. Gas, Kerosene, Wood, Electric....etc..
I presume this is based on the news reports of "rising fuel prices" that happens EVERY FALL. Time and again, they turn out to be no dramatic change and many wonder if it's just a scare tactic. In fact, around here, the natural gas suppliers make customers an "offer" of locking in rates at some amount. They'll say that prices are expected to rise to (using fake numbers) $1.50/unit and they'll lock you in at $1.20/unit. Thing is, it's never reached the predicted amount and often doesn't reach the locked in rate !! So those who passed on that great offer end up paying less !

Then you get those who *change* their fuel systems based on these predictions and spend thousands of dollars switching over to a cheaper fuel (this year). Next year though, that fuel costs more than the others and they're screwed.

I have natural gas, don't lock in rates, and just ride it out... Benefit for me is that my natural gas bill in the spring/summer/fall is very, very low, in the $30-40/mo range. I do budget billing and it averages out to $80-90/mo. It does increase dramatically in the winter, of course, but the 7-9 months the rest of the year really keep the average down.

I use electric in Wisconsin, I also live in an apartment (Upper) which means my bills goes down during the winter, Last year mine dropped to about $80 a month, where as my summer bills are around 120+ all summer (A/C) As far as lows around here...I think I have personally saw -32 degrees during some of the colder years...and typically we see at least -20 every year...sometimes we don't go above zero for a week plus at a time. (good for making ice to go Ice Fishing) :)

I voted other since we have two heating systems...gas downstairs and electric (heat pump) upstairs. We purchased $2000 worth of pre-buy propane but we haven't turned on the heat so far this fall, our 500 gallon tank is still showing 70% full, and none of the pre-buy propane has been delivered. To be honest, all the computers, DVRs, and HDTVs do a pretty good job of keeping the house warm...and the PS3s will keep it toasty when I start folding once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)