What would happen if DISH drops Viacom?

End of the day, I really won't miss Viacom. Scream is a guilty pleasure for me, and my wife likes Teen Wolf, BUT, not end of the world like an FX, etc...

That being said, am I going to see a reduction in my bill?

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I don't want channels others watch to be off DISH anymore than I want the ones I watch to disappear. That said the handwriting is on the wall, with other cable companies (smaller ones) dropping them I think especially DISH but others also will follow now. If it means a lower bill or one that does not rise much at all while other providers go up more then I welcome it. It's easy for me to say that because I would not miss any of their channels except TV Land. I will look for a couple of shows I do watch there to be somewhere online - or decide I can live without.

Keep in mind with DISH, I think chances are great for Viacom to be dropped, however if DISH can get them to give only the channels DISH wants for a reduced cost that too could happen.

I think the loss to Viacom is bigger than to Dish. That'd be a huge hit. Also if Dish was willing to drop that'd scare advertisers about AT&T/Directv.

IF DISH drops them , there had BETTER be a price reduction or I would be pissed. I don't watch but maybe two of those channels ,but I would want to see a reorganization of all programming packs to show the reduction in price for their absence. I have said all along that DISH needs to redo all their programming packs to make them more attractive in price. Start with adding FULL HD to both Smart and Welcome packs. Cut out the three programming packs and let you add the smaller bundle packs to your basic locals pack so you can save money-like SLING tv. Now if they are going to do that , they need to REDUCE or CUT out all their VARIOUS made up ,charge it because we can DISH fees too. IF they made these changes they might stave off more sub losses. IF all they do is keep the price the same and drop the channels from their service , the loss of VIACOM will result in more sub losses next quarter. Do the right thing and make the changes I outline and advertise the changes as a new day for DISH and reduction of prices. Make your service the TRUE LOW PRICED LEADER that they once were.

This is the same old argument. Dish can drop some of their fees and then raise package prices. DISH is already less expensive by 100's of dollars a year for me over Direct TV. So their fees are not making them more expensive, and they are competitive with Direct TV in whole home costs, sometimes less, sometimes a little more from what I can see. Fees are a part of the overall business model and are considered when making other costs.
Without knowing how much per subscriber Viacom is costing it is hard to know how that savings can be translated in our bill. My point was in the end it should show as DISH being even less expensive than others. But saying cost should go down has no merit, what if other channels everyone wants goes up alot?

Reactions: Yespage
I don't think I watch any Viacom owned programming so I probably won't miss them. But I agree there should be a reduction in subscription costs if there is less programming.

We don't watch much Viacom, son watches a bit of Cartoon Network, I believe that is Viacom, if it was a permanent move I would think a price adjustment would follow

We don't watch much Viacom, son watches a bit of Cartoon Network, I believe that is Viacom, if it was a permanent move I would think a price adjustment would follow
Cartoon is not viacom. Viacom owns:
Nick, teen nick, nick jr, nicktoons, mtv, mtv2, vh1, vh1 classic, cmt, tvland, comedy central, palladia, spike, and i believe centric,logo, and bet. Only one we care about is comedy central

Last edited:
I'm thinking that Nick would be a problem for many, but I don't watch but more than a few hours of Viacom's channels a year and I've been consistent for my disdain of all of the MTV properties other than Palladia (and even that is getting pretty thin).

The campaign to break up the bundles has to start somewhere and DISH has an admirable track record of voting with its wallet.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm in the bigger loss to Dish then Viacom camp. People will just go to the Viacom's channel web site, or mobile app, and watch the shows that they're missing. Either they'll get used to doing it that way or if it drags on too long they'll switch to another provider.

Reactions: Troch77
No need for Nickelodeon any longer. Spongebob writing has gotten pretty awful, too.

I don't have Dish but this wouldn't be a huge loss for me. It's mostly families with kids who would be hurting from this. The families with young kids would be hurting from the lack of Nick and the families with high school/college aged kids would be hurting from the lack of MTV.

I personally watch a couple shows on Comedy Central. I watch The Daily Show, Review, Workaholics, and other random stuff from time to time but the rest of Viacom does nothing for me. Now that Jon Stewart is done I have much less use for this channel.

All depends on Trevor Noah.
If he is entertaining, things will continue.
If not, they might as well sell off the good stuff and disappear.

Folks, the first sentence of the article is "Viacom’s stock has plunged around 25% so far in August". Dish's stock price has dropped 5% in August (if you look at Dish's stock price over the last year, this is nothing out of the ordinary, i.e. no impending sign of gloom-and-doom).

If the loss of Viacom to Dish was so tragic, you would expect to see Dish's value dropped similarly, but it hasn't. To me, that means that investors aren't concerned about Dish being hurt financially. Yes, a tiny # of customers will leave, but whoop-de-doo. Wall St folks aren't concerned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts