What would happen if DISH drops Viacom?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
But small cable companies often don't have other cable companies in their market .

That's a fair observation as far as other Cable companies not being available. However if Viacom was a catalyst for people to switch there have been two excellent options in those markets, Direct Tv and DISH.

Reactions: KAB
Dish will do as DIRECTV did and. It hesitate to drop them. The question is will Viacom come back eventually and go with what dish wants like they did with DIRECTV. I am guessing yes.
They can't afford not to, which is the basic crux of the article.

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't think they can afford not to either. And in the end what could happen is Viacom succumbs and allows DISH to at least not carry all the channels they do now if not cherry pick them. (keeping in mind this all speculative)

If the bundling model is breached, we as pay TV subscribers all win.

Sooo true. Some of us have focused on the packages and A La Carte ( and rightfully so) but another impact to lower cost is the carrier not forced to carry channels virtually no one is watching. There has to be some kind of shake out and channels with virtually no one watching being axed is one way. If that channel has a program that is watched then the programmer can put it on one of their other channels.

I don't think they can afford not to either. And in the end what could happen is Viacom succumbs and allows DISH to at least not carry all the channels they do now if not cherry pick them. (keeping in mind this all speculative)
I can't see Viacom playing hard ball too much. The negotiations may take a while extra, but there is a good chance (in my worthless opinion) that the channels will remain up for the duration of the negotiations. And then Viacom will be available on SlingTV. And Lue will post 1000 links.

I wonder if TV Land's dropping of "The Dukes of Hazzard" contributed to Viacom's decline or was the decline already in progress?
There are (5) people in our house. The majority of them have no idea what "dukes of hazzard" are and certainly didn't care that it was dropped ! :D

Isn't BET one of their "diversity" channels that is required by the FCC to have?
Are you thinking of the channels that Comcast had to help get off the ground as a condition of the NBC purchase? To my knowledge, the FCC can't make any cable/DBS service carry any channel, save for must carry locals.

They do have to carry a percentage of their channels as public interest channels available free, but not any particular ones I am aware of. BET network would not be one.

Old and channels have changed......but the rules are listed.
http://dishuser.org/pi.php

I'm not 100% on how ipercent works, I just read about it last year while writing s paper. There was a percentage of channels MVPDs had to carry that were considered diversity. It was aimed at the most popular cultures, black and Latino being the most popular ones. It wasn't channels in particular, just channels of "culture" as it was worded. I'll heck, but I want to say initiated in '92

Due to having Welcome Pack and Dish Movie Pack (formerly BB@Home), I think it would limit our viewing options.

Welcome Pack has Comedy Central, MTV 2, and CMT.

Dish Movie Pack has Epix 1, Epix 2, Epix 3, Logo, Palladia, and Centric.

Hopefully, if both parties could not come to an agreement, there would be replacement channels (and hopefully they would stay in place if the Viacom channels were gone forever).

This is the same old argument. Dish can drop some of their fees and then raise package prices. DISH is already less expensive by 100's of dollars a year for me over Direct TV. So their fees are not making them more expensive, and they are competitive with Direct TV in whole home costs, sometimes less, sometimes a little more from what I can see. Fees are a part of the overall business model and are considered when making other costs.
Without knowing how much per subscriber Viacom is costing it is hard to know how that savings can be translated in our bill. My point was in the end it should show as DISH being even less expensive than others. But saying cost should go down has no merit, what if other channels everyone wants goes up alot?

I disagree totally. It is the fees that make the programming costs all most pale in comparison. IF you are going to drop a suite of channels to reduce your programming packs , then why wouldn't you look at your $17.00 additional receiver fees for the Vip receiver? Why not drop the $12.00 dvr fee down to a smaller amount to make your service even more competitive. Especially since you are losing subs just about every quarter in the year? When you can have a group of fees that are equal to like $36.00 a month just to have a couple of joeys a super joey and your regular Dvr fee, that is too much. YES of course you can drop off some of the extra joeys to cut your bill ,but why should you? Since people are leaving Pay tv in large groups , I think that all avenues of reducing the costs for the consumer should be explored. Why do you think SLING tv was invented in the first place? It doesn't charge you any dvr fees or equipment fees and you pay $20.00 a month to get the basic programming pack. The main customer for SLING tv is most likely DISH subs who are fleeing the high programming packs price and the forced bundling and the never ending series of made up ,charge it because we can DISH fees.

Reactions: reddice
To be fair, the comparison to sling TV would be the Welcome pack with a 211 receiver. 19.99/month, and you can add movie channels and some ala carte onto it. Can even make it into a DVr for onetime fee of $40, and it can control the same amount of tvs as SlingTV. Also, it comes with locals. Are there different channel options, yes, but for your comparison purposes, they are there.

When you can have a group of fees that are equal to like $36.00 a month just to have a couple of joeys a super joey and your regular Dvr fee, that is too much.
Yep, it comes to $9/TV with 5 tuners.
Yet I pay $7 for 2TVs and 2 tuners

If I want a more advanced system and more tuners, I can pay $9.50/TV for 2TVs and 3 tuners, or $11/TV for 2 TVs and 5 tuners.

You don't just get what you pay for, you pay for what you get (novel concept, I know). I'm not subsidizing your $36 in fees with my 2TV setup.

Reactions: Yespage
On the other hand, people may discover that life goes on without Viacom and its too-little, too-late efforts to reinvent itself into something relevant.

At least your willing to admit that it is just you and not regular people. ;)
Glad you got my post lol.
It was meant to be sarcastic lol.

Only channels that will be an issue, Would be Nick Suite.
My kids would be mad. But as long as Netflix keeps the content, it may be okay.

I don't even know how you guys can even watch CC. There is a commercial ever 5 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts