What would make the equipment better

I'd like to see a built-in Mesh system so that all the existing Joeys could be swapped out for new 4K (With HDR) Wireless Joeys and no need for an Access Point
That’s a good one.

Huge revolutionary idea here. Since you brought up a mesh system, what about turning the Hoppers and Joeys into an internet mesh system for the house? Basically, just like the Google Homes, except it would be the receivers. This could serve as a benefit to grow DA as well, and have the full controls right at your TV.
Yes, I know this isn’t the mesh system you were talking about.

Reactions: HipKat
Ability to disconnect an EHD from a Hopper 3, plug it into a Wally in the camper, and access those recordings from the Wally. In addition, be able to do this whether or not I've got any satellite antenna connected to the Wally. Just as long as I've reactivated the Wally online or on the phone. Without having to mess with the relatively kludgy HopperGO. Also, be able to use the HopperGO as an EHD to the H3, and unplug it from the H3 and plug it into a Wally and have access to those recordings without messing with DishAnywhere.
Along this line, how about the ability for Wally receivers to connect to each other as a whole-home network, so that any hard drive connected to one Wally could be accessible from any other Wally in the house, without needing to disconnect the hard drive and move it to the other Wally? This would reduce the monthly receiver fees needed for a Hopper-like system. It would also be a way to resolve recording conflicts on any Wally, by automatically moving those timers to another Wally, as long as each Wally has a hard drive, and there are still any tuners available anywhere in the house.

• Love
Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
Along this line, how about the ability for Wally receivers to connect to each other as a whole-home network, so that any hard drive connected to one Wally could be accessible from any other Wally in the house, without needing to disconnect the hard drive and move it to the other Wally? This would reduce the monthly receiver fees needed for a Hopper-like system. It would also be a way to resolve recording conflicts on any Wally, by automatically moving those timers to another Wally, as long as each Wally has a hard drive, and there are still any tuners available anywhere in the house.
I am a firm believer that the Wally’s and Joeys should be interchangeable on the Hopper system. You should be able to remove the Joey and replace it with a Wally to gain both the whole home setup, and independent tuners if the Hopper goes out. Two birds, one stone. Toss out the idea that this also makes them more appealable to RVers who can just take their “extension” with them, and not need additional equipment. Everybody is happy.

I assume that means that the DVR function of a Hopper 3 cannot be disabled by Dish support upon request. It seems like that would be a reasonable function to have available. Whoops, maybe that's software.
It can be done, as I have posted in many other threads. However, it requires a specific set of circumstances. Also, it is not something that I ever actually asked for. I just stumbled onto it by accident.

I have a ViP222k that I keep active on my account all of the time. My account is registered as a Dish Outdoor (RV pay-as-you-go) account, so I have the ability to use mydish to activate and deactivate any purchased receivers on my account at any time. Every time I activate a Hopper-interface receiver while the ViP222k is still active, the result is a Hopper without any DVR functionality. The model shown on the Hopper's Diagnostics screen changes, adding a D at the end, when DVR functions are disabled. This makes my Hopper 3 a "Hopper 3D." I can request that DVR functions be re-enabled, but I cannot prevent the issue that causes DVR functions to get disabled in the first place, unless I give up using my ViP222k. ("Cold, dead hands!")

So, while it can be done, it is not necessarily very convenient or intuitive. You also have to have a very specific combination of purchased receivers, which obviously not everyone has. It is also apparently not something that can specifically be requested. You have to know how to manipulate Dish's receiver authorization system to get the "D" glitch to show up. Even then, some others have reported that the "D" issue will fix itself after a certain amount of time, and Dish will start charging the DVR fee again as soon as the DVR functions return.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
It can be done, as I have posted in many other threads. However, it requires a specific set of circumstances. Also, it is not something that I ever actually asked for. I just stumbled onto it by accident.

I have a ViP222k that I keep active on my account all of the time. My account is registered as a Dish Outdoor (RV pay-as-you-go) account, so I have the ability to use mydish to activate and deactivate any purchased receivers on my account at any time. Every time I activate a Hopper-interface receiver while the ViP222k is still active, the result is a Hopper without any DVR functionality. The model shown on the Hopper's Diagnostics screen changes, adding a D at the end, when DVR functions are disabled. This makes my Hopper 3 a "Hopper 3D." I can request that DVR functions be re-enabled, but I cannot prevent the issue that causes DVR functions to get disabled in the first place, unless I give up using my ViP222k. ("Cold, dead hands!")

So, while it can be done, it is not necessarily very convenient or intuitive. You also have to have a very specific combination of purchased receivers, which obviously not everyone has. It is also apparently not something that can specifically be requested. You have to know how to manipulate Dish's receiver authorization system to get the "D" glitch to show up. Even then, some others have reported that the "D" issue will fix itself after a certain amount of time, and Dish will start charging the DVR fee again as soon as the DVR functions return.
They do it to Bars and Businesses as well. They get the Hoppers and Joeys but without DVR abilities. I’m not sure if it applies to all commercial accounts or not, but atleast those commercial accounts.

Yes. Utilize the rock-solid MoCA connection between Hoppers and Joeys to provide the added capability of each H or J being part of a wireless mesh of access points for other devices. That sentence is a real mesh.
I love my Googles, but reducing the number of devices, and plugged into electrical outlets, would make me happier.

Reactions: peggy97850
That’s a good one.

Huge revolutionary idea here. Since you brought up a mesh system, what about turning the Hoppers and Joeys into an internet mesh system for the house? Basically, just like the Google Homes, except it would be the receivers. This could serve as a benefit to grow DA as well, and have the full controls right at your TV.
Yes, I know this isn’t the mesh system you were talking about.
I like the idea, I'm not sure if it would be costly to add all that functionality.

Here's my pet peeve with the Wallys. Let's say there's a marathon of Chicago PD on and you want to record them all. Now 2 tuners work great for that even though they overlap because 1 timer starts before the other timer finishes. That's fine,,, except, if you are trying to watch another channel it keeps popping up that annoying message asking if you want to allow the recording to start which means it switches to Chicago PD automatically and interrupts whatever you're watching. The fix would be a 3rd sat tuner. I know, wishful thinking.

I would love to see more HDR and Dolby Vision support.

I was shocked when I went to Amazon Prime on my 4K Joey to see that it could support HDR on it! (Especially after I was told by the folks who made the 4K Joey that it would never be able to support HDR!)

Of course with that said, its been 5 or 6 years now since the 4K Joey came out and on DISH other then a few VOD's there still is not much 4K to watch. I was in the store the other day and see they have 8K TV's out now... why 8K when there is still not much 4K content?

I am surprised we dont have any real live 4K Channels yet. Look at ESPN, most of the in studio stuff is shot and produced in 4K. The only people who get to see it in 4K are those in the control room. A friend at ESPN tells me they are not offering 4K because they have not found a way to make money on 4K. They say this was the reason the 3D channel died.

But my wife loves watching TV using just one box and not changing inputs so she watches a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime Myself I like watching those using the app on my Roku TV as I think Dolby Vision looks so much better than standard HDR.

All this and I think back years ago watching SD over the air with rabbit ears, and what the picture looked like then (and what we thought was acceptable) to the picture we have now. :D

I am a novice in many respects for how the receivers work but dang, can we create a new receiver that can be rebooted faster? I have to reboot mine frequently (have called Dish to no avail for having to restart so often since my definition of frequent must be different than Dish :) ) and I usually leave the room and come back later because it takes sooooooo long to go through all the steps to start viewing again.

Here's my pet peeve with the Wallys. Let's say there's a marathon of Chicago PD on and you want to record them all. Now 2 tuners work great for that even though they overlap because 1 timer starts before the other timer finishes. That's fine,,, except, if you are trying to watch another channel it keeps popping up that annoying message asking if you want to allow the recording to start which means it switches to Chicago PD automatically and interrupts whatever you're watching. The fix would be a 3rd sat tuner. I know, wishful thinking.
Hence, my earlier suggestion for Wally-Link with Timer Rollover. (There, I've named the feature, so now Dish has to implement it. :biggrin ) Of course, that would mean adding a second Wally. For only $5 more per month (if the second Wally is purchased) I think that would be worth it.

Now, some people would say that if you want a third tuner, just switch to a Hopper instead. I would say, show me a way to do that while still retaining access to all of the existing Wally-made recordings, and you have a deal. (Keeping the Wally activated in addition to the Hopper doesn't count, since the Wally still doesn't integrate with the Hopper, and the Wally would still require an additional receiver fee.)

I would love to see more HDR and Dolby Vision support.

I was shocked when I went to Amazon Prime on my 4K Joey to see that it could support HDR on it! (Especially after I was told by the folks who made the 4K Joey that it would never be able to support HDR!)

Of course with that said, its been 5 or 6 years now since the 4K Joey came out and on DISH other then a few VOD's there still is not much 4K to watch. I was in the store the other day and see they have 8K TV's out now... why 8K when there is still not much 4K content?

I am surprised we dont have any real live 4K Channels yet. Look at ESPN, most of the in studio stuff is shot and produced in 4K. The only people who get to see it in 4K are those in the control room. A friend at ESPN tells me they are not offering 4K because they have not found a way to make money on 4K. They say this was the reason the 3D channel died.

But my wife loves watching TV using just one box and not changing inputs so she watches a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime Myself I like watching those using the app on my Roku TV as I think Dolby Vision looks so much better than standard HDR.

All this and I think back years ago watching SD over the air with rabbit ears, and what the picture looked like then (and what we thought was acceptable) to the picture we have now. :D
Scott, you wrote: why 8K when there is still not much 4K content?
That may be the very reason for the reluctance to invest in 4K if they think 8K is coming.

I am a novice in many respects for how the receivers work but dang, can we create a new receiver that can be rebooted faster? I have to reboot mine frequently (have called Dish to no avail for having to restart so often since my definition of frequent must be different than Dish :) ) and I usually leave the room and come back later because it takes sooooooo long to go through all the steps to start viewing again.
Its a Unix box, unfortunately it takes awhile to boot and load all the drivers. :)

Reactions: HipKat
Scott, you wrote: why 8K when there is still not much 4K content?
That may be the very reason for the reluctance to invest in 4K if they think 8K is coming.
ESPN and others just upgraded their equipment to 4K, I know of NONE (Besides NHK Japan) that are upgrading for 8K.

In addition there is no 8K consumer media even in the pipeline.

Then you have the forthcoming ATSC 3.0 which can do 4K but not enough bandwidth for 8K. I think realistically it would be 20 plus years before we even see anything in 8K. We can't even do 4K correctly yet. :)

Hence, my earlier suggestion for Wally-Link with Timer Rollover. (There, I've named the feature, so now Dish has to implement it. :biggrin ) Of course, that would mean adding a second Wally. For only $5 more per month (if the second Wally is purchased) I think that would be worth it.

Now, some people would say that if you want a third tuner, just switch to a Hopper instead. I would say, show me a way to do that while still retaining access to all of the existing Wally-made recordings, and you have a deal. (Keeping the Wally activated in addition to the Hopper doesn't count, since the Wally still doesn't integrate with the Hopper, and the Wally would still require an additional receiver fee.)
and the Hopper adds a DVR fee.

Reactions: pattykay
Its a Unix box, unfortunately it takes awhile to boot and load all the drivers. :)
My Unix boxes boot a lot faster than my Windows boxes FWIW.

But anyway, maybe they should put the OS on an SSD.

Also, software updates and guide updates should load a LOT faster. For all the bandwidth they have on their satellites, they couldn't dedicate a little more to ESSENTIAL data?

My Unix boxes boot a lot faster than my Windows boxes FWIW.

But anyway, maybe they should put the OS on an SSD.

Also, software updates and guide updates should load a LOT faster. For all the bandwidth they have on their satellites, they couldn't dedicate a little more to ESSENTIAL data?
The SSD's can't handle all the W\RW's like the HDD can. It'd be nice to be able to defrag or compress the drive

Reactions: charlesrshell