What would you pay for the Hopper ( Dish's new Multi room DVR) ??

I'm thinking more like $600 to purchase the Hopper out right. I believe a 722k is $449 currently, and thats been out for a while.

$179.00 on eBay. Used. 100% positive feedback.
DISH Network ViP 722k (500 GB) Receiver | eBay

$299.00 on eBay. Brand New

NEW DISH NETWORK 722K HD DVR VIP722 VIP722K 722 DUO | eBay

$239.00 on eBay. Brand New

DISH Network ViP 722k (500 GB) DUO HD DVR Receiver VIP722 | eBay

We have purchased all of our 722K receivers from eBay. Never had a problem.

While I suspect that Hoppers and Joeys may take a while to show up on eBay, they will be there. There will always be Dish dealers who sell product on eBay to improve their sales numbers and generate extra revenue.

. . . Now, the Joeys:

I can't see these costing as much to lease as a receiver such as a 211 with its own tuner. I think they will try to justify the $20/month cost of the Hopper by throwing in the first Joey for free. Additional Joeys, if things are fair, should be no more than $5/mo. To me, the big question with the Joeys is "Will they charge you a monthly fee for 'owned' Joeys?" What would be great would be if you could buy the Joeys outright and add them to your system at will. I have a feeling that there would be an activation fee, at least, for each new Joey, but wouldn't it be nice to be free of "lease" fees on addtional TV's that you only occasionally use (such as in a guest bedroom)? I'm guessing the Joeys will sell for around $100.

I could understand an "outlet fee" of $5.00 per month, per Joey. That would be similar to Comcast and other cable companies.

I could understand an "outlet fee" of $5.00 per month, per Joey. That would be similar to Comcast and other cable companies.

IF DISH would go to say $5.00 Joey fee and maybe just add the multi-view fee of $4.00 to the $6.00 dvr fee I wouldn't object. But if it is just as much the $7.00 additional receiver fee or HIGHER , I will not bother with upgrading at all.

I don't quite understand the logic on the pricing speculation. I would assume that a Hopper and a Joey should be the equivalent to the 722k setup in terms of fees. Given that logic, the pricing schedule should be first Hopper and first Joey free. Additional Joeys should be less than $7.00 monthly, as they do not have separate tuners. One question remains, will I be able to keep my 311 receiver if I swapped over to the Hopper setup? I understand that VIP and XIP hardware cannot be mixed but what about the older 301/311 receivers.

One question remains, will I be able to keep my 311 receiver if I swapped over to the Hopper setup? I understand that VIP and XIP hardware cannot be mixed but what about the older 301/311 receivers.
It sounded like Dish will not allow Hopper/Joey to be combined with any other equipment on your account. Not just VIP.

....Dishs' main objective is to take more money from you every month...

I'm sure Dish would be happy to cut their costs, and share a part of that with customers (to retain/attract more), and still come out ahead. There's more ways to increase revenue than to just jack up rates.

I'm sure Dish would be happy to cut their costs, and share a part of that with customers (to retain/attract more), and still come out ahead. There's more ways to increase revenue than to just jack up rates.

The sure fire way to increase revenue is to GROW your company and ADD more subs, rather than increasing the price of and adding new made up, charge it because we can DISH FEES. If they did away with some of the more ridiculous fees that they rolled up into the gigantic additional receiver fees , they might see that DISH would be more attractive to both existing and potential subs . The new hopper/Joey system will be the real test for DISH , if they got the message from their ever decreasing sub base. IF they jack the fees associated with the hopper system we can only conclude that they are happy with never reaching 14 million subs. They have been stuck around 13 million for over 5 years now. They keep adding just enough subs,despite loses ever quarter, to keep their totals under the 14 million mark.

this nickle and dime thing is crazy. If you like it pay for it be it $12.00 or $100. 00!! If your entire subscription rests on $ 6 or $10 forget it. Constantly nitpicking the price to me means you cant afford it anyway

I' ve been with Dish since 1993 how long for you???

15 years . I started on 1/18/97. I had Primestar satellite for a year before that. I have 3 DISH accounts ( mine, parents, Aunt ) , I installed all 3 accounts, maintain them and I own the receivers on all three as well. I've owned just about EVERY Pvr/DVR that DISH has had from the original webtv/dishplayer to the 922 and back to the 722k . I've paid to upgrade and own every receiver I've ever had. So I feel I can talk about the FEES and what will happen if DISH squanders their golden opportunity to really offer their subs and potential subs a good deal on the Hopper/Joey whole house dvr. If they jack the prices so they are higher than present VIP system of dvrs, I say that many will not upgrade to the new system. DISH has continued to make More profits every year , even thought their sub base has stayed under 14 million subs for over 5 years now. That can only happen by jacking the fees you already have , and or creating more fees that you charge, just because you can, on the remaining subs. In these economic times it makes sense to appeal to as many new subs and existing subs by offering a real value in the hopper system .

I looked through the DHA agreement but I do not see the cost of the hopper. I see the monthly fee but not the actual cost to the customer to purchase/lease the receiver.

The sure fire way to increase revenue is to GROW your company and ADD more subs, rather than increasing the price of and adding new made up, charge it because we can DISH FEES. If they did away with some of the more ridiculous fees that they rolled up into the gigantic additional receiver fees , they might see that DISH would be more attractive to both existing and potential subs . The new hopper/Joey system will be the real test for DISH , if they got the message from their ever decreasing sub base. IF they jack the fees associated with the hopper system we can only conclude that they are happy with never reaching 14 million subs. They have been stuck around 13 million for over 5 years now. They keep adding just enough subs,despite loses ever quarter, to keep their totals under the 14 million mark.

And if you see the fee price list that is in the residential agreement....you are right!.:(:rolleyes:

15 years . I started on 1/18/97. I had Primestar satellite for a year before that. I have 3 DISH accounts ( mine, parents, Aunt ) , I installed all 3 accounts, maintain them and I own the receivers on all three as well. I've owned just about EVERY Pvr/DVR that DISH has had from the original webtv/dishplayer to the 922 and back to the 722k . I've paid to upgrade and own every receiver I've ever had. So I feel I can talk about the FEES and what will happen if DISH squanders their golden opportunity to really offer their subs and potential subs a good deal on the Hopper/Joey whole house dvr. If they jack the prices so they are higher than present VIP system of dvrs, I say that many will not upgrade to the new system. DISH has continued to make More profits every year , even thought their sub base has stayed under 14 million subs for over 5 years now. That can only happen by jacking the fees you already have , and or creating more fees that you charge, just because you can, on the remaining subs. In these economic times it makes sense to appeal to as many new subs and existing subs by offering a real value in the hopper system .
Interesting I appreciate your viewpoint

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)