Whatever happened to the FTM???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Around a year ago there were posts that we'd see a single-wire DVR solution. Anyone have any updates on that?

The only thing keeping me from getting a second HDDVR is my inability to run a second RG6 to the room where I'd locate the DVR.

Around a year ago there were posts that we'd see a single-wire DVR solution. Anyone have any updates on that?

The only thing keeping me from getting a second HDDVR is my inability to run a second RG6 to the room where I'd locate the DVR.

It's now called the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), and it's still in testing with no word on when it will be released to the general public.

Supposedly installers in some areas are getting them, but they are in very short supply. They are also used in the MFH2 MDU system, which is starting to become available. It should be out soon (but I thought that several months ago).

Yeah, if you do a search on SWM, you should find some results. Not sure if this is allowed or not, but there is also quite a bit of talk over on dbstalk regarding them. One guy actually found a way to get his hands on some and is offering to members. At a price, though.

they work great, but will be limited to certain installs, several tuners or special pre-wired situations.

the guy at dbstlk that got some said they were $270 for switch and power inserter. the one I've been testing works flawlessly.

Thanks all. I did some searching around a month ago re: SWM, and saw the application notes for MFH2 MDU (some layout diagrams). Looks like it's much more targeted at the large-scale MDU installations than single family households.

they work great, but will be limited to certain installs, several tuners or special pre-wired situations.

the guy at dbstlk that got some said they were $270 for switch and power inserter. the one I've been testing works flawlessly.

*gasping* $270?!?

Wow...and here I thought Dish's DPP44 was expensive.

This may be the wrong forum to post this (Direct Vs. Dish, perhaps?), but I've had several installs that went E*'s way vs. D* due to the fact it needed more wiring. I've often wondered how many people chose Dish simply for the fact that there is a single wire solution.

That was $270 to buy a SWM8 from a MDU dealer. I suspect that the price will come down when/if they become readily available (the price quoted for the PI was way more than it should cost). They might even be included in a free installation if the installer decides it is impractical to run additional cables. The technology is more complex than Dish's stacking approach, however. I imagine there might be problems with Dish trying to use an old RG59 cable installation and SWM uses lower frequencies.

SWM5 dead, new Slimline dish with SWM8 internal coming.

Tonight Earl posted an update on this subject.

- The SWM5 has been discontinued.
- The SWM8 at this time is being targeted only for MDU installs since they are need by the MFH-2 installs. It's not know at this time if sites like SolidSignal will be receiving them for sale to end users or not.
- There is a new Slimline dish coming out fairly soon that has a SWM8 built into it, so there will be only 1 wire from the dish to the interior. No other info avilable.

Here's the link to the thread at DBSTalk DBSTalk.Com .

Tonight Earl posted an update on this subject.

- The SWM5 has been discontinued.
- The SWM8 at this time is being targeted only for MDU installs since they are need by the MFH-2 installs. It's not know at this time if sites like SolidSignal will be receiving them for sale to end users or not.
- There is a new Slimline dish coming out fairly soon that has a SWM8 built into it, so there will be only 1 wire from the dish to the interior. No other info avilable.

Here's the link to the thread at DBSTalk DBSTalk.Com .

And the price for the new Slimline w/ SWM8 built in will cost us ??????

Jimbo

The switch itself is around $300 (eek!)

I would hate to see what it does to the price of the Slimeline Dish when added to it in the LNB.

The switch itself is around $300 (eek!)

I would hate to see what it does to the price of the Slimeline Dish when added to it in the LNB.

Have you heard that as the price from D* or seeing what the one guy that's selling them at DBS is charging? That price includes shipping, a small profit for the guy selling them and some profit for the reseller that he's getting them from, so who knows what D* would sell them for. Heck, IIRC, he was selling just the power supply for about $70. What will be interesting is what criteria D* installers will have to work with to decide which installs would get a standard slimline or the SWM/slimline. Will they be telling customers we can run a new cable around the outside of your house and through your exterior wall fo free or for $100 more we can install this new dish and use your existing, should be interesting to see how this plays out.

It sux that DirecTV has screwed the "early adopters" who are stuck with a non-upgradable AT-9 dish. My chase is complete full and there's no way for me to run another cable down to the family room.

I have to believe the SWM units available in the retail channel are being marked up a significant amount by someone in the chain. I can't see DTV giving these away on installs if they are a $300 unit. There is absolutely NO way that the power supply costs anywhere near $70 to manufacture.

According to our FSM from D* (I'm an installer for a local HSP), technicians won't have any say-so regarding who gets a SWM or not... I don't know about any of the other sub companies, but we're restricted to using ONLY what is on our work orders. And if that unit costs THAT much, I really can't see our call center allowing us to add it either :( I wish they would though... sure beats running a second cable to those pesky DVR's!!

SWM Modules are expensive, and that is the reason they are not being used widely for single family homes.

For the MDU marketplace, they are more cost effective when used with one dish per building.

We use them everyday, but we are an mdu dealer. if you have any questions, you can message me.

It sux that DirecTV has screwed the "early adopters" who are stuck with a non-upgradable AT-9 dish. My chase is complete full and there's no way for me to run another cable down to the family room.

I have to believe the SWM units available in the retail channel are being marked up a significant amount by someone in the chain. I can't see DTV giving these away on installs if they are a $300 unit. There is absolutely NO way that the power supply costs anywhere near $70 to manufacture.
If I'm not mistaken, the SWM8 takes the four lines from the dish and thus gives you the single wire output.

Just posting some found info.

SWM8 SWM-8 AU9/AT9 Satellite Stacker w/ Power Supply - SWM-8

DIRECTV SWM-8 Way Multiswitch Satellite Dish Single Wire Channel Multi-Switch DIRECTV AU9 / AT9 Antenna Stacker Receiver Multi Switch with SWM-PI Power Supply, Part # SWM8: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video

http://www.sonoradesign.com/images/Sheet_HRPIR.pdf

The new SWM-8 allows installers to run an AT9 or AU9 DirecTV satellite antenna plus 2 Flex ports (72.5 & 95) down a single RG6 Coaxial cable! At the end of the single wire a STS-2, STS-4, or STS-8 splitter is required (not included) to distribute the signal to as many as 4 DVR's or 8 HD receivers! Please Note: STS series splitters are specially designed for the SWM-8; you must have an STS-2, STS-4, or STS-8. The SWM-8 is ONLY compatible with the HR20 (Firmware .2042), H21, and HR21. It WILL NOT work with older model DIRECTV receivers.

* Provides eight (8) independent channels for supporting up to 8 DIRECTV satellite tuners
* Provides two outputs to serve two customer dwellings (typical)
* Contains a built-in diplexer for combining off-air signals with DIRECTV satellite signals onto a single home-run wire to the dwelling
* Provides AGC for the satellite input signal.
* Die-cast housing is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
* Supports six (6) LNB inputs, each triple-band stacked four ports (Ports 1 - 4) cover existing 99/101, 103/110/119 satellites, plus two Flex Ports (95 sat and 72.5 sat)
* Uses only 1 RG6 between SWM-8 and STS Splitter (not included)
* Maximum Distance from SWM8 to Splitter: 200'
* Power Supply Included

Specifications:

* Satellite Input Frequency Range: 250 - 2150Mhz
* Terrestrial & SMATV Input Frequency Range: 54 - 806Mhz
* Return Path Input Frequency Range: 5 - 40 (CMTS return path must use 33-40 MHz band)
* Number of Input Ports: 6 Satellite & 1 Terrestrial /SMATV
* Input Signal Power Level: dBm -45 to -15 dBm per transponder
* Output Frequency Range: MHz 950 - 2150 (Satellite) & 54 - 806 (Terrestrial & SMATV)
* SWM Channel frequencies: MHz 950 - 1800 (Channels 1-9)
* Satellite SWM Module Output Ports: 6 per SWM Module
* Terr/SMATV/Return SWM Module Output Ports: 1 per SWM Module
* Output Signal Power Level dBm -31 dBm (min) per SWM channel
* DC Power: Power Supply (24Vdc, 2.1A)
* Ground Stud: 1
* Operating temperature range: C -34 to +52

Yikes!!! Those things are expensive!

Everyone, thanks for the info. The wife doesn't see the need for a 2nd dvr, she certainly isn't going to like upwards of $400 to avoid running additional cables. Time for me to sit-tight.

The price will probably come down after a while. They are all going to MDU suppliers right now. There will also be a Slimline dish with an integrated SWM-8 (no details available yet).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts