What's a good "red" antenna?

Samuraisan

Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Arlington, VA
Hi,

I'm in the Washington DC area (zip is 22204) and according to AntennaWeb, I should be using a "red - uhf" medium directional antenna. I'm trying to supplement OTA to my DirecTv dish (not necessarily on the dish itself) to get local HD signals on my Tivo. The DirecTv installer said that several trees were gonna block signal from the antenna he'd put up, so I told him not to bother. I've since tried a couple of Radio Shack indoor antennas, including the Silver Sensor, with no appreciable signal (so they went back). I'm trying mostly to grab the major networks (Ch. 4, 5, 7, 9) which are either 3 or 16 degrees, at less than 10 miles away.

I'll get someone else to install it on the roof (I hate heights), but can someone recommend some an antenna for this situation? FWIW, wife does not approve of the "use chainsaw to remove tree" solution...:)

Thanks in advance.

I would have let the DTV installer put up the antenna. If you are less than 10 miles from your transmitters, trees are probably not going to be that big of a problem.

Looks like your digital stations are all UHF for now.

Just a sampling of antennas rated in the RED zone are:

Channel Master 3677 - VHF/UHF
Channel Master 4221 - UHF bowtie
Channel Master 4248 - UHF yagi
AntennaCraft HD850 - VHF/UHF
AntennaCraft U1000 - UHF bowtie
AntennaCraft 7B141 - UHF
Winegard HD7080P -VHF/UHF
Winegard PR9022 - UHF
Antennas Direct - DB4 - UHF bowtie
Antennas Direct - 42XG - yagi

I prefer the hd7082p for vhf/uhf...better specs than the 7080P...if you want baltimore hd7084p

cm4228 for uhf only (do not like the cm4221 or any of the other imitations)

with an hdp 269 winegard preamp.

add a rotor and you will receive baltimore.

I installed a winegard hd7082P with hdp269 amp for the parents this past friday btw. My parents had trees. Was able to find a spot on the roof where the antenna shot thru a clearing. Works great split to 5 tvs and no distribution amp. The hdp 269 tooks its place and there was no overload 8 miles fom towers.

tried the 7080p there, but the 7082p was better for their multipath issues.

Attachments

• P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 393
Last edited: