What's E*??

runz22

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
I have pretty much figured out most of the abbreviations and shortcuts which appear in these threads but I'm guessing. Is there any place a newbie to the forums can learn this shorthand? I know what D* is (I think) but what is E* and why am I supposed to know? :confused:

E* = Echostar, the formal name of the company that runs Dish Network

What is the reason anybody types "V*" instead of "Voom"? By the time I look for the "*" key, I could have typed "oom" 10 times.

Is there some kind of "mum's the word" courtesy here? Are we not supposed to say the names of the companies?

I have been reading this forum since February, and I never did get the point of E*, D*, V*. But now that somebody is asking, let's hear it! I am sure there is a tradition here someplace.

Echostar is what started with the "e" being echo and the"*" looking like a star and people just started doing it for the others.

BFG said:
Echostar is what started with the "e" being echo and the"*" looking like a star and people just started doing it for the others.
Oh! Now I get it! :shocked Of course -- Echostar is "e" followed by a star "*". ;)

Thanks!

It was actually E* and P*

(Echostar and PrimeStar) after awhile people just stated calling DirecTV D*.

BTW welcome to S* (Which is Satellite Shorthand for SatelliteGuys.US) :D

runz22 said:
I have pretty much figured out most of the abbreviations and shortcuts which appear in these threads but I'm guessing. Is there any place a newbie to the forums can learn this shorthand? I know what D* is (I think) but what is E* and why am I supposed to know? :confused:

You can start here: Glossary

Thanks all. That glossary is GREAT, just what I was looking for. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one puzzled by some of these.

The Stone Man said:
I'll die a happy man if I ever figure out what BFG means.

LOL!!! :D

Well in that case I'll keep it a secret muwahaha ;)

but my s/n is really simple like most others...

BFG said:
Well in that case I'll keep it a secret muwahaha ;)

OK. Every time I go to an airport, I'll be looking for people with a monogram of BFG, and have to ask them if they are members of satelliteguys.us. Might make a few new friends that way.

Well, the only BFG I know about is from the original DOOM, and it stood for Big @#$%ing Gun.

Trivia:

Adcom had (or has, I don't know) a line of stereo equipment with model numbers along a similar vein:

GFP - Their pre-amp
GFA - Their amp

Good.... well, you know :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)