What's in Your Setup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
TV's

1. ViewSonic VA1912wb - 19" Computer Monitor - Basement - DVI
  2. Mitsubishi WS65819 - 65" HD Projection - Family Room - Component
  3. Samsung TX-P3064W - 30" HD Tube - Living Room - DVI
  4. Olevia 321-S11 - 27" HD LCD - Bedroom - HDMI
  5. Sony Trinitron - 27" SD Tube - Family Room - S-Video
Matrix Switchers - in Basement

1. VS CSM42 Ultra Wideband Matrix Switch - 4 Component/Digital Audio In - 2 Out Both Composite/Toslink Audio Out
  2. Octavia 3x2 HDMI Cross Switch - 3 HDMI In - 2 HDMI Out (Using HDMI splitter on 1 out)
Receivers/DVRs

1. 1x H20 Connected to Home Built AMD Vista Media Center with FusionHDTV OTA capture card - Basement
  2. 1x HR20-100 (connected to HDMI and Component Matrix Switchers) - Basement
  3. 1x HR20-700 (connected to HDMI and Component Matrix Switchers) - Basement
  4. 1x HR10-250's (connected to HDMI and Component Matrix Switchers) - Basement (Another HR10-250 in storage in case this one fails)
  5. 3x Xbox 360's connected to Vista Media Center via Ethernet Network - One Xbox 360 has HD DVD add-on - Living Room, Bedroom, Family Room
Sound

1. All Sound with TV speakers except Family Room
  2. Sony STR-DE898 Receiver - Using Digital Audio from Component Matrix Switcher - Family Room
  3. Cheap Sony surround sound speakers - Family Room
  4. JBL Northridge E20 speakers mounted high on wall - Family Room
Signal/Source

1. Outside Double 6 Foot Yagi Antenna on Channel Master rotator/amplifier - VHF
  2. Outside Small UHF Channel Master antenna on Channel Master rotator/amplifier - UHF
  3. UHF and VHF combined to one wire to basement - split to 4 for 2 HR10's,1 HR20 and Vista Media Center
  4. DirecTv AT9 5 LNB Dish - Dont know which multiswitch - 7 lines to basement straight shot
  5. Family Room is fed by Component wires for video and digital audio over ethernet via Muxlab 500050 Component/Digital audio baluns. Balun also feeds composite HR10-250 signal to SD Legacy Sony TV for NFL Sunday Ticket
  6. Living Room is fed by HDMI to DVI wire from basement and RCA audio
  7. Bedroom is fed by HDMI from basement. Audio is through RF Modulator coax since the HDMI splitter has issues with audio. For some reason the HDMI splitter kills audio over HDMI wire.
Remotes

1. 3x Logitech Harmony 688 Remotes
  2. Each room has a wireless video sender with remote control. Dont use video but use the wireless remote signal to switch video sources in basement to Living Room, Bedroom and Family Room
Misc

1. Slingbox Classic on two HR20's
  2. 2 Radio Shack S-Video/Composite Switchers for Audio in Basement and Video on Family Room Sony SD Legacy TV
  3. Jensen RF Modulator to send analog audio to Bedroom
  4. Comcast Internet 10-12 mbps Down / 756 Up
  5. Vonage Wireless G Router
  6. Comcast Linksys Router/Modem
  7. Linksys Wireless Router in Basement
  8. Linksys Wireless Router in Family Room
  9. TrendNet TEG-328TX Gigabit Switch
  10. 3 Belkin and 1 Blackout Buster UPS batter backup on DVRs/Media Server

And how long have you been collecting/building your house full of AV "stuff"? I guess business is good for you... ;)

But seriously, did you wire your house this way during construction or have you had to fish all of these cables/wires?

TV's
  1. Vizio 50" Plasma (Living Room)
  2. Vizio 32" LCD (Master Suite)
  3. Westinghouse 19" for PC
DVR's
  1. HR20-700 connected via HDMI (Living Room)
  2. HR10-250 connected via component (Master Suite)
Sound
  1. Pioneer VSX-515 (Living Room)
  2. KLH Powered Subwoofer (12")
  3. Pioneer Front/Center Channels
  4. Bose Rear/Surround
  5. Internal TV Speakers (Master Suite)
  6. Logitech 5.1 Surround (PC)
  7. Sony Wireless headphones (PC)
Signal/Source
  1. DirecTv AT9 5 LNB Dish
  2. 18" Dish for Locals (SD only until Summer '08)
  3. D* 3 LNB Oval - no longer active
  4. E* SuperDish 500 - No longer active
  5. V* 24" (or is it 36") - No Longer Active
  6. OTA - Philips 51-Element Yagi/Dual Boom (just connected today!!! :D ) Picking up ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, WB, UPN with strong SS
  7. Comcast Basic Cable with Clear Signal Locals in HD
  8. WB6x8 (?) Multiswitch
  9. Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD connected via HDMI (Living Room)
  10. Pioneer/Panasonic (?) DVD Player/Recorder connected via RG-6 (Master Suite)
And yes, in case you're wondering, my house does look like an outpost for the NSA/CIA :p

Remotes
  1. Home Theater Master MX-500 (Living Room)
  2. Logitech Harmony 880 (?) (Master Suite)
MISC
  1. Comcast High-Speed Internet - 16Mbps Down/800+ Up
  2. Vonage VoIP (Standard router)
  3. Netgear Generation-NEXT Wireless Router (up to 250Mbps on internal network, or a/b/g on external network)
  4. Gateway MX6453 Laptop: AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile TL-52 1.60Ghz, 2GB RAM, 256 internal video card
  5. Dell Dimension e510 PC: Intel Pentium 4 (x2) 3.0Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512MB ATI-Radeon, RAID-0 300GB dual drives
  6. MyBook 250GB External Drive

That about does it, I guess.

And how long have you been collecting/building your house full of AV "stuff"? I guess business is good for you... ;)

But seriously, did you wire your house this way during construction or have you had to fish all of these cables/wires?

Yours is just as bad!! :D

I had to fish the wires. The house was new 10 years ago but only 3 coax wires for the entire house! I had to run all the wires including RF coax, HDMI, ethernet, toslink, component, etc. Its taken a long time but man I love this setup.

Yours is just as bad!! :D

The only fishing was done by DBS installers (E, V, and D) and the surround sound speakers in the LR. Everything else is original from 1989 or wireless.

As soon as I win the PowerBall Lottery or find someone to buy my business (highly profitable with very low overhead...interested? :D ), I plan on building myself a custom house with all wiring very well considered ahead of time so I can do it during framing.

If I build house here is what I will wire and problably do myself.

8 Coax lines from outside to server room in basement. 2 lines for OTA in case I need separate UHF and VHF like I have. 1 line for cable modem. Each room will then have 2 coax lines all feeding to the server room. This will be in case I want to take the Directv lines to the room. I wont do this myself but others might.

Hardwire remote extender eyes in each room going to basement. Also put 3 CAT 5e lines (problably use CAT 6 now) in each room feeding to server room. You can then use CAT 5 for any audio or video feed via balun converters or even network. I would then run 3 or 4 HDMI lines from rooms with TV's to the server room. May not use right off bat since HDMI switchers are expensive but I do it now with 2 rooms.

So each room has POTS for telephone, 2 coax in case, 3 CAT 5e, remote extender hookup and 1 HDMI. All lines lead to server room and server room handles all hardware and lines from outside world. Ah I can only dream of it now. This of course not including fiber wiring. I just thought it would work great with existing copper and pretty cheap too.

8 Coax lines from outside to server room in basement. 2 lines for OTA in case I need separate UHF and VHF like I have. 1 line for cable modem. Each room will then have 2 coax lines all feeding to the server room. This will be in case I want to take the Directv lines to the room. I wont do this myself but others might.

Hardwire remote extender eyes in each room going to basement. Also put 3 CAT 5e lines (problably use CAT 6 now) in each room feeding to server room. You can then use CAT 5 for any audio or video feed via balun converters or even network. I would then run 3 or 4 HDMI lines from rooms with TV's to the server room. May not use right off bat since HDMI switchers are expensive but I do it now with 2 rooms.

So each room has POTS for telephone, 2 coax in case, 3 CAT 5e, remote extender hookup and 1 HDMI. All lines lead to server room and server room handles all hardware and lines from outside world. Ah I can only dream of it now. This of course not including fiber wiring. I just thought it would work great with existing copper and pretty cheap too.

Maybe I will hire you to do my wiring...that is fairly future proof.

Maybe I will hire you to do my wiring...that is fairly future proof.

Some of it is overkill but its always better in now then later. And with coax and CAT5e costing pennies to run, why not. The HDMI is not too bad either. I did a 100 foot run for 90 bucks.

I just did some more of that recently. I already fished 2 coax/ telephone to each room. Some I put multiple in. I added OTA and cat6 , now I want to add dedicated cable for comcast.

I just did some more of that recently. I already fished 2 coax/ telephone to each room. Some I put multiple in. I added OTA and cat6 , now I want to add dedicated cable for comcast.

Smart move. I want to build a house but I don't have much left on my mortgage and everything is on my financial plan. Its a nice house but I would love to have designed things differently. Hindsight I guess.

Smart move. I want to build a house but I don't have much left on my mortgage and everything is on my financial plan. Its a nice house but I would love to have designed things differently. Hindsight I guess.

Well I changed how I wanted stuff three time. I even thought I would hang one of the LCD's. I settled on a stand. Next home I going to be different. I visited Charlotte to see how the homes are built, and now I have a plan when I move.

TV's

1. Toshiba 62MX196 - 62" DLP HD - Living Room
  2. Toshiba 30" Tube HD TV
  3. Sharp 27" SD Tube
Receivers/DVRs

1. 3x HR20-100 (1 on each TV)
  2. 1x HR10-250's (I have one that isn't hooked up right now).
  3. 2x Xbox 360's - One in the repair shop in Texas and the other in the living room.
Sound

1. All Sound with TV speakers except Living Room
  2. Pioneer Receiver (don't remember model) with FrankenSpeakers (Fronts - EV 12") (Center - Cerwin Vega) (Sub - 10" Cerwin Vega) (rear- JBL) (Center Rear - JBL)
Signal/Source

1. DirecTv AT9 5 LNB Dish - Dont know which multiswitch - Using only 6 lines from the multiswitch for now :)
Remotes

1. 1x Logitech Harmony 688 Remotes
  2. I have a IR repeater in the back for 2 TV's using one box.
Misc

1. 1 Digital Optical Component Switcher for DVD, XBOX, XBOX 360
  2. RF Modulator to send use split screen while playing 360
  3. Armstrong Cable Internet - 10mb down / 1.5 mb up
  4. Linksys Wireless G Router
  5. Packet 8 VOIP phone
  6. 8 port belkin switch
  7. 4 UPS/AVR's don't remember the brands because they are all different.
  8. MIRRA Personal 80 gig backup server
  9. Computer - AMD 3200+ 64 bit w/ 1gig RAM, 250 gig HD running XP
  10. Computer - P4-E 3.0ghz, w/1 gig RAM, 300gig HD running XP
  11. Computer - Laptop Dell 2.2ghz w/1.25 gig RAM, 60gigHD running XP

AT-9 5LNB dish + SWM-5
HR20-700 (0x17E), HDMI to Vizio P42HDTV, Harmony 880 remote
R15-500 (0x1141) to 27 in. Sony (circa 1986), RC32RF remote
Sony VSX-D711 A/V receiver
Networking/Media Share: Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP wireless ethernet converter, Twonky 4.4 on G4 Mac Mini (OSX 10.4.10) and Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) platforms.

Living room
Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD
H20-600 D receiver
Samsung BD player
Toshiba HD DVD player

Master bedroom

Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD TX series
H21-200 D receiver

Daughter's room
Westinghouse 42" 720p LCD
H20-600 D receiver
Zenith DVD player
Dell pc

Son's room
Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD
H20-100 D receiver
PS3
Game cube
Dell pc

Guest room
20' Toshiba SD CRT with built in VCR/DVD
H20-600 D receiver

Screened in porch
Westinghouse 32" 720p LCD
H20-600 D receiver
Dell laptop

Garage
Samsung 26" 1080i crt
Hughes HD HDL D receiver
Sharp 15" sd crt with built in VCR
Hughes HD HD HDL D receiver
Samsung DVD player
PS2
Wii

Outside
D Slimline dish
Dual lnb dish for locals
4 power passing spliters in to two 6x8 multiswitches

OTA
Old fashioned rabbit ears on select TVs
Radio Shack stick antenna with pre-amp in garage

Odds and ends
4 Sony sd recievers (no longer active)
1 H10 receiver ( still active but not using at the moment)

AT-9 5LNB dish + SWM-5
HR20-700, HDMI to Vizio P42HDTV, Harmony 880 remote
HR21-700 to 27 in. Sony (circa 1986), RC32RF remote
Sony VSX-D711 A/V receiver
Networking/Media Share: Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP wireless ethernet converter, Twonky 4.4 on G4 Mac Mini (OSX 10.4.10) and Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) platforms.

Updated.

MY house is 30 years old and has lots of coax and telephone lines to each room. Over the past 6 months have disconnected all that and EVERYTHING in the house is now wireless except the coax from the 5 LNB dish/Zinwell mult to the receiver and on to the Sony KDL402500. Bedrooms etc are fed by a Belkin video/audio unit. Don't any of you guys do wireless :confused:

MY house is 30 years old and has lots of coax and telephone lines to each room. Over the past 6 months have disconnected all that and EVERYTHING in the house is now wireless except the coax from the 5 LNB dish/Zinwell mult to the receiver and on to the Sony KDL402500. Bedrooms etc are fed by a Belkin video/audio unit. Don't any of you guys do wireless :confused:

only for my laptop and PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts