What's the best scenerio here?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bikerchik52

Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
VA
I have sub w/nps ending on 12-23.If it is true that they are ending on 12-26,then should I get sub w/SVision b/f that to avoid a dark 922 or just wait til its over and the dust settles first?Thanks for all yall's help.I have had my bud since the late 80's and DO NOT want to give it up if at all possible.I will not sign with dish or direct just b/c of the cost,contract etc.

I would wait till January then get SRL to do the W5 magic and go from there. You can still watch any free stuff plus DVB (if you have a receiver) in the meantime. SRL will need to wait till 1/4 for the 4DTV datastream to go down before they can authorize the 4DTV for Comcast HITS. It will be first come first serve come January so I would try calling 1/5 early in the day.

Do you have a dvb box slaved to your bud? If not you might want to consider, lots of free wild feeds and "B" channels such as ThisTV, RFD-TV, alphabet-networks, RTV, Aljazeera News, and History/Bio. Some of these require a dvb-s2 compatible receiever such as Azbox HD, if you didn't know this already. Give you something to watch in between subs anyways. Like TVRO suggested, you'll have to wait and see how the W5/HITS pans out after new years for subscription channels on the BUD.

I really don't know@either one of those.How would I find out?I am so amazed@all the info you all have and even tho I have had this bud for 20+yrs,I really don't know @ all this.I guess that I'm like the dumb blonde who doesn't know why the car won't go-cause all I ever did was put in the gas--meaning except for a few break-downs w/easy replacements all I 've ever done was call for subs.Thanks for your time and patience.

I really don't know@either one of those.How would I find out?I am so amazed@all the info you all have and even tho I have had this bud for 20+yrs,I really don't know @ all this.I guess that I'm like the dumb blonde who doesn't know why the car won't go-cause all I ever did was put in the gas--meaning except for a few break-downs w/easy replacements all I 've ever done was call for subs.Thanks for your time and patience.
I am not sure what you are into, but if you are happy with the cable fare on W5, you could:
1. Call SRL/or/Skyvision and ask them if they will prorate you a sub from 12/23-1/3 (I understand they have done this for some existing customers)
2. After 1/4/2011 they or/Skyvision can set you up to receive the W5 HITS channels after they flash your box (to make it think it is a dsr410)

The way I understand it once box is flashed you will no longer be able to use it as a positioner. I am not sure if you want this or not. I for one will not do it, as I enjoy the ITC programming/feeds.

Other option is to let your sub run out, with not much left to watch other than the few analog religious/shopping channels, you would probably want to pick up a dvb-s2 compatible receiver, such as Azbox PremiumHD or Vantage. Azbox is available on ebay and amazon often, however it will set you back about $300. It does have optical audio/HDMI outputs, etc and is a nice receiver, but is not for the faint of heart. I have the Azbox and really enjoy it. Sometimes the cable networks are unencrypted and the picture quality is unmatched in my opinion. Alphabet networks have regional feeds in HD. It is however a FTA (FreeToAir) box so no subscriptions are available. I can provide more info if you are interested, or just google Azbox HD or Vantage DVB-S2, etc.

I have decided to get DirecTV for now, until this all pans out. I will keep the 922 4dtv for a positioner for my Azbox, and use generics for the hidden stuff.

There is a world of free TV out there, it is a matter of what you want and what you can afford.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts