What's the largest hard drive working on a VIP722 these days

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
I have seen the older threads but nothing recent. I know the original limit was 750GB. Is anyone out there using a 1.5TB or 2TB drive? I'm looking to replace my 500GB and want to go as big as I can. I'd also be curious to know if anyone is using a homeade external (buying a bare drive and an enclosure). I'm also aware that it has to be a single drive (not a dual drive enclosure).

If you don't mind, please post the brand/model of what you are using that works along with the size. I'd prefer to get one that is both USB and eSATA in case I do switch to D*.

I'm only interested in 2TB drives, or if 2TB doesn't work, the maximum amount that does.

Appreciate the help.

I've done a few EHDs I built myself. Not at home for specifics, but my main one is a RAID 1 array, 1TB each drive, WD black. Easy to do. You should have no problems so long as you stick to single drives.

Enclosure was , I believe, the Vantec NexStar MX NST-400MX-SR Dual 3.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 and eSATA with JBOD/RAID 0/1 External Hard Drive Enclosure (Black) at Amazon.com: Vantec NexStar MX NST-400MX-SR Dual 3.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 and eSATA with JBOD/RAID 0/1 External Hard Drive Enclosure (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317EwXCrMKL.@@AMEPARAM@@317EwXCrMKL

Others I did were much cheaper, of course, but for this one I wanted a great deal of redundancy.

Last edited:
I am using a Western Digital 'Elements' 2TB drive model
WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

with my VIP722K. It works very well. It can be purchased at Newegg as well as many other places. One advantage of this drive is that it does not come shipped with any bloated auto-sleep software.

Ed

Did you notice a slow down on using larger drives. I have read about the larger drives taking more time to display recorded show? I have been playing with a 150 gig drive for now until I decided on the right size drive.

I assume the raid does add or subtract any time required to display recorded shows as compared to a standalone 1tb drive.

The problem with x-tra large drives is you're putting all your eggs in one basket if it would fail. And others have said scrolling through all that programming is a PITA.

As far as Seagate goes, just hook them up first to a PC and run the included software to defeat the spin down feature. Then hook up to a DVR and all should be well.

I do not recommend WD Green drives. They have a sleep mode which I hear can be troublesome.

I have a Fantom 2TB working, maybe a little slow. There are a ton of models and am not at home. I have a Rosewill stand with either a 1TB Hitachi or 1.5TB WD. Calvary, Buffalo in 1TB, 5 WD in .75 TB.

All work. The larger ones take longer on "3AM" reboot if they are online--avoid. I now power all off when I can and connect the right one(s) to 2 722s. Somebody explain what it does for 15 min.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts