What's the news on AMC-15?

There may be some news, but many have been busy looking into the Voom Sat assets purchase.

I'm sure we'll know more AMC-15 info soon, but probably after the furor of the Rainbow (Voom) assets purchase has died down.

It's not there yet.

Heh, AMC-16 was launched way after AMC-15 and it looks as though that one might make it's spot befor AMC15 makes his.

bdemz said:
?? Anyone

Most people don't read the titles of replies. Type your questions in the body.

The programming to be placed on the satellites has been speculated before. Search and you shall find.

AMC-15 will carry everything that's currently at 105. It's just a satellite replacement.

BFG said:
AMC-15 will carry everything that's currently at 105. It's just a satellite replacement.

But it is supposed to cover the entire U.S. . That was the problem with the current 105 sat. It only covers the middle of the country with drop outs in the deep south ,the west coast and some of the far Northern parts of the country. This is why the 50 hd channels never happened. Now with the replacement, who knows if they will still use the 105 for any hd. :cool:

AMC-15 is stopped at 117w to test the Ka system feasibility at this slot for up to 60 days. It will then move to 113w to do the same thing. After that it will move on to 105w.

JohnH said:
AMC-15 is stopped at 117w to test the Ka system feasibility at this slot for up to 60 days. It will then move to 113w to do the same thing. After that it will move on to 105w.

I dont think there KA band testing is doing very well with E* making comments like...

"DirecTV's efforts will use Ka-Band satellites, which EchoStar said present challenges such as rain attenuation, and remain an untested technology"

http://www.skyreport.com/viewskyreport.cfm?ReleaseID=1569

The Dish leases on AMC-15 and AMC-16 are for the whole satellite, Ku band and Ka band. The input Dish provided to the FCC related to DirecTV's planned use of Ka band on the Spaceway satellite is related to the FCC developing specific rules on LIL HD from the framework provided by SHVERA legislation and nothing directly to do with Dish's own testing of Ka band with AMC-15. Dish does not want to be saddled with new rules related to LIL HD that have been influenced by DirecTV's announced plans for LIL HD that certainly have some technical risk.

In regards to Dish's Ka band testing with AMC-15, there are several reasons they may be conducting it.

1) Determining the feasibility of Ka band for live video which is something that I am not aware that DirecTV has done. If it is feasible, Dish may be able to save money by buying the 5 Ka band satellites that Voom ordered instead of Voom losing $100 - 175 million for canceling the satellite contract.

2) Determining the size of the dish that a customer would need to receive Ka band if it is feasible. Certainly the larger the size of dish needed, the less marketable it is to many consumers.

3) Generating a test report and submitting it to the FCC that demonstrates the problems with Ka band for live video thus providing a foundation for the skepticism that Dish says the FCC should have for DirecTV's LIL HD plans. Certainly Charlie would also release it publicly because I am sure Charlie would like nothing more than to "rain fade" on Rupert's Spaceway LIL HD parade and to influence both consumers and investors.

Remember Dish has had a Ka system for quite a while. At 121 dish has Ka transponders and they should have been able to test it all they want. The only thing I can see them doing with AMC-15 is testing antenna designs. They probably want to see how a single Dish could be designed to pick up 121, 117, 113, 105, and 85.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts