What's the REAL reason we don't have new HD just now?

I am so sick of the "I dont like/watch this channel so they should dump it" that goes on around here. Guess what, everyone has different tastes, if they didnt, we would only have 10 channels total.

What was it that prompted DISH to bait us with TBS-HD which had a limited time for its limited span of interest--I see complaints about it. Probably same for USA, etc, but DISH knows what has more universal appeal as far as popularity--they also know the HD quality.

The bottom line--of course, we all want all the HD we can get, so it's really the priority here, not the actual number of channels--and so it's just putting some channels back in the wings so the others can take center stage--for now. Later, they will probably all show up.

I'm just trying to keep DISH subs from defecting, as they seem to be doing. This is the prime Sat TV viewing season.

Anyone have any inside information on WHY we don't have the new HD channels? I'd be a lot less liekly to ditch DISH and WAIT if I knew why and how long!

To answer your question, not I. But then Confucius says "All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get." :)

Is there a possibility the pause in HD addition has something to do with the AT&T deal?

If space is the only issue, why doesn't DISH say so?

Is there a possibility the pause in HD addition has something to do with the AT&T deal?

If space is the only issue, why doesn't DISH say so?

Dish did address the space issue the other day during the retail chat the other day. They did say they would be adding more hd in the future when they reclaim more bandwith. What that means is anyones guess.

Dish did address the space issue the other day during the retail chat the other day. They did say they would be adding more hd in the future when they reclaim more bandwith. What that means is anyones guess.

If I had to guess this talking about the upgrade of the HD LiL encoders on 129 and 61.5 to allow for 6 HD channels per TP instead of 4.

There is other space available without doing this but there might be some other technical reasons or policy reasons(spare factor?) they can't use this bandwidth.

If I had to guess this talking about the upgrade of the HD LiL encoders on 129 and 61.5 to allow for 6 HD channels per TP instead of 4.

There is other space available without doing this but there might be some other technical reasons or policy reasons(spare factor?) they can't use this bandwidth.

Digi. If your guess is right about the upgrade of these encoders. Would it be a software type of upgrade or hardeware upgrade?? I guess I am asking, in your opinion, would the upgrade take alot less time to fix than a whole new sat. launch?

Digi. If your guess is right about the upgrade of these encoders. Would it be a software type of upgrade or hardeware upgrade?? I guess I am asking, in your opinion, would the upgrade take alot less time to fix than a whole new sat. launch?

Hardware upgrade.

They've already started but again pushed the pause button.

Of course, swapping out some hardware is a lot faster than launching a bird.

Please delineate the entire process of:

1. Viewership analysis:
- HD versus SD cost benefit analysis
- Installed base of HD equipment and HD subs
- Cost versus estimated increase in HD subs due to added HD content
2. Negotiation of carriage and agreed cost per subscriber
3. Installation of equipment needed to add the channel to E*'s ground to bird transmission system
4. Uplink testing and broadcast certification
5. Implement changes / tracking for all support, marketing, and technical documentation

This is very brief, simple view of what it takes to makes changes in a large corporation responsible to report fully documented business processes and risk analysis to the shareholders, the SEC, and to the subscribers, upon request.

Now with all this riding on your back, make a profit in a cutthroat business where some of your base demands more channels and the others demand lower costs and provide customer support to every caller who can't change the blinking 12:00 on their vcr or program their microwave oven.

Makes me want to run right out and start my own satellite broadcast service company!

BINGO !!!!!! Hit it right on the head !!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)