Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
It's mini-vacation time and I'm going to be in Atlanta this Friday through Sunday. Mrs Pepper is into "tatting" and there's a workshop, exciting for them, snooze-fest for me. While she's doing that, anybody know of some fun, cheap, legal and safe things to do? What one or two things should I definitely not want to miss while I'm there?

Kind of cliché, but I enjoyed the Coke and CNN tours.

Kind of cliché, but I enjoyed the Coke and CNN tours.

I second the Coke tour it's in a new location and it's very interesting....Make sure to do the 4-D movie though....sure it's cheesy but it's still cool....

The aquarium is ok....unless you are an avid aquarium visitor.... it t pales in comparison to some of the ones I have been to....so i stay away from it

You definitely have to go to the Varsity and eat...have a chili dog and chili burger and wash it down with a frosted orange....trust me you'll thank me later...

If you are into shopping Lenox Square mall and Phipps Plaza is the place...full of designer shops..It's where all the celebrities go to so you may just run into a few...

Catch a Braves or Thrashers game if they are playing

That's about it...

The MLK Center is worth seeing, but I remember it challenging getting a cab back, but that was several years ago.

I think I would do the CNN tour the next time. But is it even open since the tornado?

I didn't really do anything when I was there in November except the conference I was at. sadly, the Peachtree/downtown area is pretty sparse in terms of restaurants and things to do. We went to a Brazillian steakhouse that was good, but way over-priced.

The aquarium is ok....unless you are an avid aquarium visitor.... it t pales in comparison to some of the ones I have been to....so i stay away from it
My opinion was that it sucked, and crowd control is awful. Better off driving a few hours north and seeing the one in Chattanooga.

You definitely have to go to the Varsity and eat...have a chili dog and chili burger and wash it down with a frosted orange....trust me you'll thank me later...
Ahh... my Saturday afternoon lunch place while going to Ma Tech. Just remember not to overdo it at the Varsity, or you'll be spending alot of alone time on the toilet later. Onion rings leave a big puddle of grease in the container. Frosted Orange rules though.

And is the Cheetah still open? ;)

The aquarium and new coke center are pricey to visit but I've heard good things. Underground Atlanta is worthe visit specialy if you like BBQ and jazz/blues and some shopping. East of town theres a Fry's off of 85 just west of 316 for your carnal pleasures.
I would have recommended olympic park but the area was hit with the tornado two weeks ago and is under repair still. Theres also the building that houses cartoon network and other channels right off of 75 downtown, you could head out to stone mountain and see the world from there.

If you want to see Atlanta, go to Underground Atlanta. And like Van said, there is a Fry's and Microcenter on the NE side of the city out by me. And Stone Mountain, very nice if its not too cloudy or smoggy of a day. If the tornado hadn't hit, I'd say check out CNN Center and that area, and of course the World of Coke

its a nice city but being a tornado came through, its not what it should be

Talk about over priced. 8$ for mash potatoes! The steak is good, its worth the 40$ if it included the sides. That ala carte scam gets ya. :)

Ok try Spotted Dog for beer/martinis and Home Made potato chips covered in blue cheese. It is on North Ave.
Also need to check out Virginia Highlands
Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

Manuels tavern very cool place
Manuel's Tavern
Front Page News is another good spot. :::::: Front Page News :::::::
I like the Crescent ave one.

Atlantic Station is pretty good too, plenty of clubs, coffee bars and restaurants mixed in with shops.

Park Tavern at Piedmont park is another choice.
If your into history See the Oakland Cemetery
Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta
Golfer Bobby Jones and GWTW writer Margaret Mitchell are buried there.

I visited the aquarium one month ago, and it was awesome, crowded yes. This was the largest and best aquarium I have ever visited. Also underground Atlanta has changed, it seems more "ghetto" than I ever remember it being. The CNN tour was fun, if you are military its free!

I visited the aquarium one month ago, and it was awesome, crowded yes. This was the largest and best aquarium I have ever visited. Also underground Atlanta has changed, it seems more "ghetto" than I ever remember it being. The CNN tour was fun, if you are military its free!

+1
I like the Aquarium too, It is not as bad as it was. Best time is late afternoon after the tour busses have left.
There is also the Hard Rock cafe.

I haven't been to Hotlanta in 20 years...... They have some interesting wildlife there.... They keep them at a place called Cheetah's, I believe...

OK, sorry, couldn't resist....

Not certain if I'd recommend a visit to CNN/Coke/Aquarium area this weekend. They are still cleaning up from the tornado down there although I do believe everything is open.

If you are into hiking and Confederate history, you might want to visit Stone Mountain. The view from the top is nice, and there is a laser show on the carving weekend nights. Unfortunately its become much more commercialized in recent years.

And if you are really into Civil War history, visit the Cyclorama. Its a huge 360 painting about the Battle of Atlanta. Pretty cool.

If you are into museums, the High Museum has an exhibit from the Louvre as well as a Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit currently. The Emory Carlos museum has a nice collection of Egyptian/Ancient World materials. Fernbank Museum is the natural history center with dinosaur displays, etc. None of these compare to larger museums found in places like New York, but they are a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Atlanta has a small zoo that isn't much to talk about, but their gorilla and panda exhibits are excellent.

If you are going to be hitting several places, to save some money, get the City Pass which offers you cheaper admission to 5 major exhibits (Coke, Aquarium, CNN, Zoo, Coke)

If you are going to be hitting several places, to save some money, get the City Pass which offers you cheaper admission to 5 major exhibits (Coke, Aquarium, CNN, Zoo, Coke)

You get to see Coke twice? ;)

oops:

Atlanta CityPass is valid for nine days from day of first use. One admission to each of the following attractions is included:
  • Georgia Aquarium
  • World of Coca-Cola
  • High Museum of Art
  • Inside CNN Atlanta Studio Tour
  • Fernbank Museum of Natural History
    OR
    Atlanta Botanical Garden
  • Zoo Atlanta OR Atlanta History Center
Adults $59.00, Youth 3-12 $44.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)