Whats this NO PIP with Directv??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I just found out the the Directv DVRs do not have PIP?? What does everyone do? PIP is a big deal for me!

Is there anything else that I should know before I make the switch?? I like with Directv that you have one receiver for each TV, and they have the NFL and MLB packages, and my local stations in HD. But, if the HD DVR dont even have PIP, what else are they missing?

Tim

I don't use PIP, but I do miss the dual live buffers that we have on my TiVo. What this means, is you cant deliberately have the tuners on 2 different channels, flip back and forth, and have the ability to rewind on both without recording both channels.

I've grown to not even use it without having it available for so long, but it is something I used to use a lot.

This is a feature I would like too - we have two tuners, it would not take significant progress to let us view both tuners at once - give us a PIP box and split-screen option.

Back when I had Dish, they did not offer this, but I believe the 622/722 now do offer this?

The PIP feature is the one and only thing I miss from when I had Dish.

But - I have 4 TVs that I use regularly, only 1 of them has PIP. My projector that gets the majority of my use does not have it, and I've literally wall-mounted 2 19" LCD TVs to the side of the viewable area to create a pseudo PIP effect.

PIP would be much easier :)

Who actually uses PIP; what a FAD option of little use

dont agree at all with you on that:

PIP was great in that when a show went to commercial i could put it in the PIP....then i could switch around/watch another channel in the meantime....then i could see when my first show was back from commercial in the PIP and then just flip it back to the big picture.

Now when u switch around during a commercial u have to guess when the other show is back.

Who actually uses PIP; what a FAD option of little use

I use my TV's PIP when my wife wants to watch one of her shows. I have Dish and split the feed from TV2 to also go to our main 46" 16:9 HDTV. She uses remote2 and wears wireless headphones to watch her show while I'm watching my show with audio. This works nicely for SD shows with each 'screen' like a 19" set. The SD shows actually look good like this. I don't do this for HD shows...

dont agree at all with you on that:

PIP was great in that when a show went to commercial i could put it in the PIP....then i could switch around/watch another channel in the meantime....then i could see when my first show was back from commercial in the PIP and then just flip it back to the big picture.

Now when u switch around during a commercial u have to guess when the other show is back.

+1

That's what I used the dual-live-buffer for - I'd pause the channel, go surf on the other tuner for as long as I wanted, then come back to the other channel any time. I didn't care how long the first show had been back, because it was paused so I didn't miss anything regardless.

Now I just don't surf channels nearly as often when I'm watching a program I really want to watch. I'm sure the other half is actually happy the feature is gone. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.