What's Up With ESPNU And ESPN Classic?

LhasaApso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Here's an interesting article on plans ESPN appears to be making concerning a number of their networks as well as ESPN360.

IMHO -

ESPNC - Simply put all of the rerun sports on it that any particular person wants to see on it, they have seen. The library was simply too small. Most live sports before the 1980s were not saved, and the NFL had the sense to have the rights revert to it for its games. I am pretty certain there has been more coverage of the long forgotten USFL on ESPNC than there was when it was a going concern.

ESPNU - On college football Saturdays, and to a much lesser extent during college basketball, its a fine channel. Really just ESPN3. The rest of the time, its simply worthless.

ESPND - Memo to Disney HQ. The channel is in SPANISH. The number of households its in measured against in the general households numbers is is irrelevant. If its penetration in Spanish households is not what you expected, then that probably says that a lot of us who were saying the that mad rush by Disney and GE into Spanish broadcasting was shortsighted, as it was to take advantage of what is only a transatory era.

Disney would do best to just give up on this "college" theme for ESPNU and just call it ESPN3, and thus allow it to dip into other rights held by ESPN. ESPNC would be best as a "high number" digital channel, and ESPND is irrelevant.

ESPN is a pretty useless network outside of Actual games and PTI (which is about the only thing left that is watchable). If you aren't a fan of their favorite teams (Red Sox, Yankees, Green Bay Packers, any team Brett Favre is playing for) then you're SOL.

ESPN Radio is actually better. Mike and Mike are good, Cowherd is a blowhard but he can be entertaining, Tirico and Van Pelt are the best thing on during the day. I do wish they would give Bob Valvano a better time slot, or at least provide a podcast of his show.

I read elsewhere that ESPN's allowing cable systems to swap ESPNU for ESPN Classic because ESPNU has live sports and ESPN Classic is mainly old games that people may not be as interested in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)