Whats Up with Openbox hugh DVR files

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Just recorded a few minutes on create (SD) and the file is 117Mb.

Am I not setting something right? Or does it just depend what the stream is?

That size sounds about right for standard definition Wallyhts. As Brian said, the file size will vary depending on the bitrate of the channel you are recording, since you are recording the actual stream without any re-encoding. The PBS HD channels are around 17 megabits, and they'll really chew up disk space. You can actually watch the hard drive activity light speed up on HD channels.

yeah that sounds right. I've been doing some testing with the Visionsat I have and recording 5 minute "bites" of channels and they vary between 100MB and 300MB depending on the transponder.

I recorded a 2:20 hockey game yesterday and it was like 7GB :) (and the symbol rate was only 6111 so it was pretty low)

I got to use by worst buy giftcard today I went and picked up a 500Gb hd.

:)Recorded 1 1/2 hours of HD off PBS at 125 and the file is 11GB.

Can't play back on laptop I need to use my desktop to send to video card to decode.

Looks awesome!!:):):)

PBS-HD looks amazing.

To play the files recorded with an Openbox on a PC, you'll need to use the Ariva TS Tool located at the bottom of this page to convert the Openbox DVR format to .TS (transport stream) files.

I did that but when playing in VLC on my laptop CPU went to 100% and does not play well at all. However when I send it to my video card on desktop to render works perfect and cpu is low under 20%.

Its the HD video... Many computers require hardware-accelerated video cards to play HD video. This is the case especially with MPEG-4 (AVC), which requires a video card with MPEG-4 acceleration. PBS is MPEG-2, but the HD resolution still requires a beefy system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)