What's up with The Weather Channel?

Smitty7831

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Willowick, OH
About a month ago the "Local On The 8's" interactive feature was working. Since the weather is starting to get nice in wonderful Northeast Ohio I decided to check last night and it is not working now. What gives? Is this working/not working for anyone else?

Last edited:
I have yet to see it work on my receiver (622). In fact, since I've had Dish, I barely even turn on the Weather Channel, partially because I can't get a local forecast, and partially because, sadly, the Weather Channel is beginning to go the way of MTV. Pretty soon, we'll all be saying..."Remember when the Weather Channel used to do the weather?"

Maybe they can have a Weather Channel 2, or something like that. One where they do the weather and not show a bunch of environmental shows, or shows like "When Tornadoes Attack".

Other than the bad a** that is Jim Cantore, I just don't see much of a reason to tune in anymore, especially with the internet for weather forecasts.

Sorry for the rant, but no, it doesn't work for me.

Far two clunky. They need to maek this seemless. It's quicker just to go to my PC to get the weather.

that's what i do. i never tune to TWC as i never get my area's weather quick enough. even the 'local' that runs at the bottom runs too slow. and don't even try to go to the interactive stuff through channel 100, you can go to school and get a degree in meteorology before that thing loads.

I agree that they need to make it more seamless. I used it (when it worked on my 622) and I was just wondering why it all of a sudden stopped. I think it is strange that soemhave it and some don't. Oh well. Thanks for the insight guys!

I wonder when we are going to get the "REAL" weather on the 8's just like on cable. Thought we was already supposed to have this last year?

I echo a recent statement by TWC founder/meteorologist John Coleman, "The Weather Channel has lost its way." TWC has added all of this fluff and "environmental" emphasis -- save this for the Discovery Channel, TLC, National Geographic Channel, etc. I long for the days that TWC gave me the forecasts, scientifc explanation of what's contributing to the forecast, and truly abandoned regular programming when there was a severe weather event unfolding. I think NBC's Weather Plus does a great job of what TWC should be doing, so I enjoy watching them on my local NBC's digital channel which I get over-the-air.

But, to get back to the original question, I have been seeing the interactive icon pop up on ch 214 and it appears to be working fine -- though seeing my local weather info EXACTLY as cable subscribers see it would be best. And, yes, DISH network shared with our leader (Scott) some screen grabs of how this would look about 2 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)