What's up with The Weather Channel?

I don't think that the owners of The Weather Channel will sell.....unless they get the right amount. But it's true of any company though.

I echo a recent statement by TWC founder/meteorologist John Coleman, "The Weather Channel has lost its way." TWC has added all of this fluff and "environmental" emphasis -- save this for the Discovery Channel, TLC, National Geographic Channel, etc. I long for the days that TWC gave me the forecasts, scientifc explanation of what's contributing to the forecast, and truly abandoned regular programming when there was a severe weather event unfolding. I think NBC's Weather Plus does a great job of what TWC should be doing, so I enjoy watching them on my local NBC's digital channel which I get over-the-air.

But, to get back to the original question, I have been seeing the interactive icon pop up on ch 214 and it appears to be working fine -- though seeing my local weather info EXACTLY as cable subscribers see it would be best. And, yes, DISH network shared with our leader (Scott) some screen grabs of how this would look about 2 years ago.

Heard that Mr. Coleman was not a believer in the theory of global warming. Sounds like a well informed authority. Guess he's not an Al Gore fan?

Back on topic, my interactive weather has been working fine on my 622! Just tune to the weather channel and within about 20 seconds the little Icon appears and the local weather loads and it only takes it about 10 to 15 sec's to load! Actually it works pretty nice, not like cables, but its ok!

My oberservation has been that it only works when there is WEATHER on ... Not when there are commercials or shows about weather ...

This is on both the 522 and 722...

Ted...

I believe I have observed the same thing recently...the icon only appears during the "Local on the 8s" segments. I have also noticed two different icons, though I have not watched enough to determine a pattern. One is a circle with an exclamation point or tower with "waves" radiating from it; the second has the same icon, but the circle is located within an oval and actually has "click for weather" on it. FYI, I have a 625 and a 322.

Why don't the satellite providers get the other weather channel that is out there? There has to be more than just the weather channel. It is nice to be able to see the weather on a different channel that has it if the weather channel is going to air an show during the evening instead of actual weather.

Sometimes it works

For me sometimes it works when I tune to the weather channel. Sometimes it does not. If it is not working, I can go the interactive route to go to it and it will work on the weather channel until I turn off the 622. I agree with those who say it is too slow and and provides such a broad radar scan to be of much value. The computer is a much better option for me.

Here is how I get instant weather updates on my Dish Vip622 DVR box.

1. Turn off 622.
2. Turn on Wii.
3. Go to the Wii Weather channel.
4. Pray for Dish to add new HD channels.

CNN interactive

I just noticed this morning (don't really watch CNN that much) that the CNN interactive is working. The little icon comes up & when you hit select, the main pix is in the top right corner w/ a bunch of scroll around vids that you can watch...

When I had D* their Active weather was fine...except if you ever had to reboot the system or it did it automatically. Then all your favorites are gone and you have to set them up again. Drove me crazy!!

When I had D* their Active weather was fine...except if you ever had to reboot the system or it did it automatically. Then all your favorites are gone and you have to set them up again. Drove me crazy!!

That's been corrected for awhile now, the zip code and my cities is remembered across reboots and software upgrades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts