What's with all the Direct TV negative reviews?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Don D.

Original poster
I'm looking for some help here. For years my cable company has been jacking the cost. My neighbor went through Costco to get Direct TV satellite and it seem to be much cheaper with more channels. I talked to the rep at Costco and everything sounds great. I was most impressed to find out that they even have 4K channels. I was all ready to switch over but decided to check on customer reviews. I went to yelp and was shocked to find nothing but one star nasty reviews. Not a decent review could be found. Most complaints were about poor customer service, mysterious charges, and adding new channels and charging more for them. I double checked at a consumer site and found the same negative reviews.

I need to hear from anyone that has Direct TV to hear your opinion. I am currently very confused. Thanks!

Upset people are more likely to post than happy ones.

Look over Dish, DirecTV, Uverse if available, and the OTT options. Look over equipment choices. Decide what you want and the cost effectiveness of satisfying those wants.

OTT might still work out to be cheapest, depending on your Internet service. But it leaves ease of use somewhat wanting. No consolidated EPG, for example, across providers.

Of course, if Sunday Ticket is a must have, and you’re willing to pay the freight in future years (might be free year one), then DirecTV is your choice.

P.S.- I have Dish, but I’m not about to slam DTV.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
:welcome to Satelliteguys Don D.!
There are millions of happy Direct and Dish customers, don't be dissuaded by a few bad reviews. Do you know anyone that has either service? You could ask them what they think.

i have had it for a while and am happy with the service

i am not happy with the new generation of equipment
wont go into that as i have posted about it before

many people are saying the customer service has went downhill since ATT took over.

there are also many people on the dtv forums that have issues with third party resellers making promises that dont pan out (costco, best buy, walmart, door to door, ect)

Reactions: edisonprime
Upset people are more likely to post than happy ones.

Look over Dish, DirecTV, Uverse if available, and the OTT options. Look over equipment choices. Decide what you want and the cost effectiveness of satisfying those wants.

OTT might still work out to be cheapest, depending on your Internet service. But it leaves ease of use somewhat wanting. No consolidated EPG, for example, across providers.

Of course, if Sunday Ticket is a must have, and you’re willing to pay the freight in future years (might be free year one), then DirecTV is your choice.

P.S.- I have Dish, but I’m not about to slam DTV.

I do have a neighbor that recently got it and they are happy so far but most complaints came from people who had it a while before new charges cropped up. I live in the Seattle area so I am concerned about how heavy a rain must be to disrupt the picture.

in my experience it has as much to do with the clouds as the rain
when i get a heavy thunderstorm between the dish and the sat, doesnt even have to be at the house,
the pic goes out for a short time

it works during hurricanes and nor'easters fine though

I'm looking for some help here. For years my cable company has been jacking the cost. My neighbor went through Costco to get Direct TV satellite and it seem to be much cheaper with more channels. I talked to the rep at Costco and everything sounds great. I was most impressed to find out that they even have 4K channels. I was all ready to switch over but decided to check on customer reviews. I went to yelp and was shocked to find nothing but one star nasty reviews. Not a decent review could be found. Most complaints were about poor customer service, mysterious charges, and adding new channels and charging more for them. I double checked at a consumer site and found the same negative reviews.

I need to hear from anyone that has Direct TV to hear your opinion. I am currently very confused. Thanks!
I was happy until my Directv free upgrade to a Genie 2 was hooked up. All I wanted was another mini for a second bedroom and I got a crappy genie 2 system that has to be reset every 2 hours, laggy as crap, black and white screen of death, and a We'll give you back your old system but it will cost you 300 bucks and you'll have to sign another contract. Nice....

I was happy until my Directv free upgrade to a Genie 2 was hooked up. All I wanted was another mini for a second bedroom and I got a crappy genie 2 system that has to be reset every 2 hours, laggy as crap, black and white screen of death, and a We'll give you back your old system but it will cost you 300 bucks and you'll have to sign another contract. Nice....
To counter I've had a Genie 2 system for 14 months (early tester) with two 4K clients and 3 wireless and maybe have to reset once a month and no white screens of death. Yes depending on the version of code DIRECTV pushes out some have remote command lags of 5 seconds while others work just fine. Just my experience.

To counter I've had a Genie 2 system for 14 months (early tester) with two 4K clients and 3 wireless and maybe have to reset once a month and no white screens of death. Yes depending on the version of code DIRECTV pushes out some have remote command lags of 5 seconds while others work just fine. Just my experience.
Some people don't care about the delays, I happen to be one that does. After having Dish for 12 years, Direct's changing channel delay sucks. Sorry for the rant, I keep hearing it from the wife!

Some people don't care about the delays, I happen to be one that does. After having Dish for 12 years, Direct's changing channel delay sucks. Sorry for the rant, I keep hearing it from the wife!
Well, if your in the U Verse area, their channel changing is almost instant from what I've seen.

Well, if your in the U Verse area, their channel changing is almost instant from what I've seen.
That would be awesome! I’m out in the sticks though. My neighbor a thousand feet away has 65 mbps fiber, unfortunately they want 7500 bucks to run it to my house, so I’m stuck with 3mbps. Lol

No matter what company it is nobody is going to be satisfied with that company whoever their with imo everyone has their good or bad opinions on that company

Reactions: Techiefan and Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)