Whats with MLB and early games?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I know all other sports usually have games starting after 4PM PST/7EST during weekdays, is there a certain reason why MLB teams play so early during the weekday?
Just wondering...

I know all other sports usually have games starting after 4PM PST/7EST during weekdays, is there a certain reason why MLB teams play so early during the weekday?
Just wondering...

In the beginning of the season ?
Ya, it's warmer, if thats possible, it's in the 30's up here during the day , lows in the low 20's.

Just wondering...
The better question is, "What is with all of the night games in baseball?" Baseball is supposed to be played during the day and it is always tradition to have the home opener play in the afternoon.

This is the first time ever the Dodgers home opener will not be an afternoon game and more and more teams are opening at night each year. This is just not right.

So I guess I won't say that it was a warm 90 today with little to no humidity.:D:cool:

Which lead me to another question about the intelligence of the MLB.

WHY don't they have the NORTHERN teams (non dome) open the season against SOUTHERN teams ?

Btw, after THIS weekend, the Tigers don't play the yanks again in NY the rest of the season.
Thats ridiculous ...

Here in the northern climates weather isnt the best so scheduling a day game when its 50 is better than a night game when the temp can be below 32 when the game is in the late innings.

I know the MN Twins have 6 out of 11 home games in April during the day (noon, 1 or 3 start time)

Which lead me to another question about the intelligence of the MLB.

WHY don't they have the NORTHERN teams (non dome) open the season against SOUTHERN teams ?

Btw, after THIS weekend, the Tigers don't play the yanks again in NY the rest of the season.
Thats ridiculous ...

When I use to run a baseball camp down here in a city south of Miami called Homestead, at what would have been the the Cleveland Indians spring training site(long story). Anyways, when the college baseball season would start, ALL of the real good division I colleges would come down for baseball tournaments because of the weather. They would literally be here for almost 2 weeks.

MLB should do the same. Or at least schedule all the northern teams play at either a southern team or a domed team.

I miss all the daytime games. It wasn't that long ago that Wrigley field didn't have any lights. The night games are all the Reds' fault! The first night game played under the lights [SIZE=-1]05-24-1935 after FDR flipped a stitch at the white house.

At least there are still a good number of "businessmen's specials" that start at 12:35.
[/SIZE]

Now it is more about TV revenue than anything. MLB makes most of its money of TV contracts (when it used to be ticket sales), and TV attract more viewers at night

Now it is more about TV revenue than anything. MLB makes most of its money of TV contracts (when it used to be ticket sales), and TV attract more viewers at night

I remember during playoffs when I was a kid in the late 70s running home to see the Reds and the Phillies in the playoffs. ....Ahhhh....those were the days.

Twins start in Toronto (dome)

But I think MLB wants everyone to have their home opener by next Friday.
Checking baseball-reference when the Twins were in the AL West and outdoors they always did the Oakland/California/Seattle trip to start the year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)