Whats with MLB and early games?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Red Sox play a morning game every April on Patriots Day. Although that was common in the early 20th century, the Sox are the only team still scheduling at least one game a year for a morning first pitch.

Jimbo said:
Which lead me to another question about the intelligence of the MLB.

WHY don't they have the NORTHERN teams (non dome) open the season against SOUTHERN teams ?

Btw, after THIS weekend, the Tigers don't play the yanks again in NY the rest of the season.
Thats ridiculous ...

I agree.

Sent from my LG Optimus T using SatelliteGuys

So I guess I won't say that it was a warm 90 today with little to no humidity.:D:cool:
Shut up.
5.gif

Opening Day - This is a different discussion. Having a day opener is a good tradition, especially in a good baseball town. But, other than in Cincinnati, the first month should be heavily front loaded to domes and warm weather cities.

Regular weekday day games - I have never understood this. The traditional practice is to play M-T-W or T-W-Th with the last day being a day game (of course, Su as a day game in a weekend series goes without saying). This is a remnant from 60 years ago, when the world traveled by train. Teams played a quick day game and headed to the station for an overnight to the next city. (Another remnant of the past is the union requirement for a post-game buffet, left over from when it was hard to find a table after 9PM, even in a big city). With teams flying charter, this makes no sense at all. Contrast to the NBA or NHL, where late night travel is common. In most markets (there are exceptions) these weekday day games are throw-aways. Not televised or with micro ratings if they are. Small live gates. It is just tossing away 8 or so events. Not good business.

My "warm weather" theory. Ever notice this? Lots of people live their lives in warm weather. Most Latin American players, many North Americans from places like Florida, south Texas or SoCal, etc grow up in places where it is never really "cold". And lots of players go home as soon as the season is over. Thus, maybe 10 or 12 days in April and the post-season are the only times they are outdoors in the cold in their lives. Contrasted with people from most of the USA, Canada or Japan, who participate in sports, including schoolastic baseball, in very poor conditions. And warm weather players, both pitchers and hitters, are notoriously slow starters when they are with cold-weather teams. Same theory, BTW, applies to golf. Guys that grew up playing in all conditons are much better at playing in poor conditions than guys who grew up in the deep south or SW.

salsadancer7 said:
Come on down Cy ....we can play a round of golf ....hang out and bbq by the pool and then catch the Marlins/Mets game tonightn

:)

Sent from my LG Optimus T using SatelliteGuys

I think opening Day should be played in the daytime. I also think they should play a series before having an off day. Ex., the Yankees played there home opener, then had a day off, then finished the series with the Tigers. I think they should get the series over with and then have an off day. Also, start Opening Day in the daytime!!! None of this, Sunday night opening night stuff and then have everyone else play the next day or the day after.

I also think they should play a series before having an off day. Ex., the Yankees played there home opener, then had a day off, then finished the series with the Tigers
In the northern climates they do that in case the opener gets rained out.
The Twins usually in April play all weekend games in the daytime but tomorrows is at 6. Reason given was in case the home opener today was rained out they could do a split DH with the early game at noon

Thanks for clearing that up Iceberg. You know I've heard people say that are starting the season too early because of the weather. The thing is its pretty cold in all of April, I mean you have to start the season eventually. I mean if not this week, then next week but it doesnt guarantee that the weather will be any different.

If we are talking about the way things SHOULD be, it SHOULD be the way it was where the Reds (as the oldest pro sports franchise on the planet) opened for MLB with an afternoon game. Everyone else plays the following day. That is the way it was for decades, but the sport that prides itself on tradition decided to throw that one out for no good reason. :)

I could not handle living on the east coast and being a sports fan. Sometimes you guys have to wait until 10pm just to watch a game that won't end until after 1am. Then waiting until after 8 to watch playoff or nationally televised games

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

TNGTony said:
If we are talking about the way things SHOULD be, it SHOULD be the way it was where the Reds (as the oldest pro sports franchise on the planet) opened for MLB with an afternoon game. Everyone else plays the following day. That is the way it was for decades, but the sport that prides itself on tradition decided to throw that one out for no good reason. :)

I understand it. It is about money. More viewers on TV and higher attendance during the night. I just don't like it

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for clearing that up Iceberg. You know I've heard people say that are starting the season too early because of the weather. The thing is its pretty cold in all of April, I mean you have to start the season eventually. I mean if not this week, then next week but it doesnt guarantee that the weather will be any different.

I agree. But yeah you have to start eventually. I know the Twins when they were outdoors before now (back in the Met days) would be on the road for 10-12 days to start the season. Looking at old info they did the California/Oakland/Seattle to start the year. This year MLB wanted everyone to have the home opener done in the 1st week.

Here in MN it can get cold at night but during the day its beautiful out. Thats why the Twins do lots of day games in April/Early May

Iceberg, what do you think of Target Field? Do you think they should have built it considering that it does get cold in April, especially in Minnesota? I mean the day games that they do play that you mentioned above, I mean temperature wise, how are they? I mean from what I've seen on tv, it looks like the stadium is a nice one. Do the fans agree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)