[Other Topic] Whats your favorite radio station and why?

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
For me over the years its been WDRC FM.I'm a bit disappointed how they play less of the 60 and 70s (50s a thing of the past) but its still no 1 in my book and I do like the dj's also_On the AM side its WTIC! I have been listening to them since the Bob Steele days and still like them for news,weather and sports.

I would have to agree on WDRC as well for me locally. :)

If you ever listen to All Request Saturday Night you will hear me or my name on the air often. :D

For national I love WION Radio out of Ionia, MI (http://www.i1430.com) as their music mix is unlike any radio station I have ever heard before. And I also am a big fan of WCBS FM out of New York City.

Wow - WDRC for me too. Helps that they have a GREAT sounding HD feed, with no subchannels, too.

WFAN for sports talk - the original, and still the best.

WDRC has a few Subchannels.

WDRC HD 1 is WDRC FM
WDRC HD 2 is The Big D! (50's and 60's music with classic WDRC Jingles!)
WDRC HD 3 is WDRC FM (AKA the Talk of Connecticut)

Yes their HD does sound Great! Scott Barron is a great engineer!

here in the SW burbs of Minneapolis its easy for me

KCHK AM/FM New Prague, MN
(1350AM 95.5FM) due to the variety
www.kchkradio.net

M-F
sign on at 5AM (yes they sign on with the national anthem.....even though they technically dont sign off)
5-9 local news/weather mixed in with polkas and classic country
9-11:25 classic country
11:25-noon is the trading post (think Craigslist for old people)
noon-1 news at noon
1-3 polka (after all this area is Czech country)
3-6 oldies (50's & 60's)
6PM-5AM they use the satellite fed classic country from Dial Global

Saturdays
5-9 a specific thing....either polka, country or oldies
9-10 various programs
after that its the satellite fed country

Sundays
5am-9pm POLKAS!!! well from 9-10 and 11:30-noon its the local church services
then the satellite country

They also have local sports and also the area college teams.

My backup during the day is KGLB 1310AM...they are pretty much the satellite fed country (same as above) but they're 30 miles away so doenst work real well after the sun goes down

Last edited:
in the Austin Area when I listen to terrestrial it's KOKE-FM (http://www.kokefm.com) they have 3 frequencies here
that cover the area. They are LOCALLY owned and operated by legendary Austin DJ Bob Cole and others. They are definitely "different".

Oh, and they stream too, on all the services, and have their own app, as well as from the above website.

If you like country, give them a try.

Last edited:
Combination of alternative/active rock for me.

My main all-day terrestrial listen is WHHZ 100.5 The Buzz out of Gainesville. Also like Jacksonville's WXXJ X102.9.

EDM fan also, with Gainesville's Party 99.5, moving to a stronger signal at 100.9 on the day after Christmas. :)

Last edited:
You'd best hope they get a (reasonable, normal, not "dollar a holler") spot load or they won't be your favorite too long! A light load means they're being carried financially
by a sister station or operated poorly and won't last long when the bean counters do their job!

You'd best hope they get a (reasonable, normal, not "dollar a holler") spot load or they won't be your favorite too long! A light load means they're being carried financially
by a sister station or operated poorly and won't last long when the bean counters do their job!

True. But it does seem to be steadily increasing. I can't seem to imagine it costing Midwest (owner) much when the only staff the station has currently is the Program Director.

Here's why they need more spots: (cost to an owner) Regulatory fees, electricity, fuel for heat, mandatory staffing of "main studio" by FCC law, music licensing to 3 or 4 agencies, maybe tower rent and remote electric if offsite, studio space rental or property taxes, engineering/upkeep, promotional expenses, gasoline and phone for sales, retainer for your FCC attorney, standard business attorney..and the list goes on. Radio is NOT a license to print money, nor cheap to operate. Even if it's a "tag along" station with minimal staff or shared responsibilities, all the previously mentioned expenses are part of the equation. Glad to hear they're increasing in spot load. Doesn't take long for expenses to add up.

Not much left on the FM and AM bands up here north of Boston. I do jump between the local rock stations (WAAF, WBOS, WGIR, WHEB, and WZLX) when I'm in my non-XM car. I tend to like much of the HD and internet offerings. Hands down, Radio BDC is a personal favorite. I also like blues station Radio Mojo (WZLX HD-2) and from LA Indie 103.1 (which survives online). Also, WAAF HD-2 had a great live rock station, before Entercom removed it to put the AM sports talk station (WEEI) on the FM (???) band. WEEI now has it's own FM frequency, which didn't come at the loss of another rock station. Most of my musical likings are found on SiriusXM however, and for talk, I only regularly listen to Opie & Anthony. I can't stand sports talk, and what those (bleep)holes, mainly CBS radio, did to the rock scene to force FM sports talk down our throats. But that's for a different discussion. Let's just say WBCN, WNEW, WXRK, WKRK, WYSP, and so on were all legendary stations before CBS perverted and expelled them.

Last edited:
WDRC has a few Subchannels.

WDRC HD 1 is WDRC FM
WDRC HD 2 is The Big D! (50's and 60's music with classic WDRC Jingles!)
WDRC HD 3 is WDRC FM (AKA the Talk of Connecticut)

Yes their HD does sound Great! Scott Barron is a great engineer!

Oops - I confused WDRC with WPLR. Sorry :eek:

PLR is a great station. It's got a great signal that I can pull in all the way up here in Ma. They were really great was I was growing up, and I've been listening to them a lot again lately. I also like 104.1 WMRQ....

I'll have to get hd radio then. It's strange hearing Madonna on DRC. I tend to listen to the low end of the dial (88.1, 88.5, 90.5, 91.7). For rock I tend to go to waqy 102.1, since wccc changed to pseudo-classic pseudo-rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)