What's your favorite Satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It must be a fixed dish system that can be hidden with some shrubs.

Do you mind if I ask why it must be a fixed dish? You can get a dish motor for about $50. It would greatly add to his channel options, and they are almost silent.

it doesn't

I discussed that yesterday and they are willing to let us install a motor. They will have to purchase that. I suggested they check out WS or Sodoun and get a complete system. So we'll wait and see what they do... I will still supply the dish and receiver and mounting pole if they decide to go that direction for free. The motor will be up to them to purchase or a complete system. They thought it would be really expensive but now that they know how cheaply they can get their stuff it's now an opt!

Thanks For your Help!

Wow For a Second There I thought I was lurking in a FTA Satellite Forum. Turns out, its an OTA Fan-boy Club Forum :p

Jimmy

Now you're just being silly! Ha Ha! :)

Seriously, I don't think that we should rule out OTA terrestrial TV in all cases. Obviously, this is a satellite TV forum, but we don't need to limit ourselves to this discussion entirely. We won't be branded as outlaws for suggesting other options for TV reception.

Personally, with my motorized Ku-Band satellite antenna, I don't have time to watch what comes free to me OTA via the terrestrial waves and I am not exactly interested in its content. So, after setting it up initially just to see what I could receive, I have pretty much abandoned it. And, it wasn't too bad, reception-wise, but I just wasn't interested as I don't watch TV for the sake of watching TV. I watch TV as part of my satellite hobby. For the same reason, I don't have a DSL line for my internet, I use Wild-Blue satellite internet which is slower, but it is via satellite. Why? Shoot, I don't know. I just picked satellite technology as a hobby.

C-Band on a "Mini-BUD" coming this spring. Woohoo! :) Why? I don't know, same reason I guess... Just part of my hobby. ;)

RADAR

Not to sound smart or hateful

I think what Jimmy was meaning is the Topic was

"What's your Favorite Satellite" the thread was taken off topic from the start with the discussion of OTA. I clearly stated several times OTA is not going to work in this area. I live here and I stated OTA wouldn't work at this mans location. OTA could've been ruled out before it ever started to take over the conversation.

If you look back in the thread, only a couple of posters actually answered the original question "What's your favorite Satellite".

So that being said,

what's your favorite satellite?

97W might be good for some ethnicity (arab / east indian?) or religious content. I can't find much there that interests me though. Its not particularly "mainstream" America (or Canada!).

I think what Jimmy was meaning is the Topic was

"What's your Favorite Satellite" the thread was taken off topic from the start with the discussion of OTA. I clearly stated several times OTA is not going to work in this area. I live here and I stated OTA wouldn't work at this mans location. OTA could've been ruled out before it ever started to take over the conversation.

If you look back in the thread, only a couple of posters actually answered the original question "What's your favorite Satellite".

So that being said,

what's your favorite satellite?

Ironsides,

I did answer the original question, in the same post where I spoke of the OTA terrestrial option. However, I could not limit the choice to just one or two satellites. They were 30.0°W, 83.0°W, 97.0°W, 101.0°W and 125.0°W.

It is difficult to limit the choices this way. When you have a motorized system, you can watch just about everything.

Your intial post stated that the "landlord wouldn't allow" an OTA terrestrial antenna (which I cannot comprehend). Therefore, I was not aware of the signal strength issue when I posted my thoughts. I thought it was more of an aesthetic problem from your first description. Your subsequent post told the rest of the story, that it would be necessary to set up a huge OTA antenna in order to get good reception.

Maybe you could convince the landlord that a motorized Ku-Band dish would be unobtrusive. They are not that big, 76cm will do fine.

RADAR

Last edited:
Jimmy

Now you're just being silly! Ha Ha! :)

Seriously, I don't think that we should rule out OTA terrestrial TV in all cases. Obviously, this is a satellite TV forum, but we don't need to limit ourselves to this discussion entirely. We won't be branded as outlaws for suggesting other options for TV reception.

(snip)

RADAR

Radar,

Yes I was being silly and Ironsides got the joke. :angel: Of course there is room for OTA, it was the relentless trail of people pushing for OTA even after Ironsides said "No OTA."

Just basically THE definition of fanboy.

Wikipedia said:
Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field.

In all honest if I could find a descent BUD in Oregon that someone was wanting to part with, I'm pretty sure I'd turn into a FTA Fanboy.

Radar,

Yes I was being silly and Ironsides got the joke. :angel: Of course there is room for OTA, it was the relentless trail of people pushing for OTA even after Ironsides said "No OTA."

Just basically THE definition of fanboy.

In all honest if I could find a descent BUD in Oregon that someone was wanting to part with, I'm pretty sure I'd turn into a FTA Fanboy.

There is a whole mess of them in SW Washington, north of Vancouver.
I don't see any mention of where you're from, but that's what I know.

FTA wouldn't be worth my time if I were to lose 99, 95, 91, 121 C Band

I understand your position here, John. Walrus keeps harping on me to set up my mini-BUD for C-band reception. Unfortunately, the weather and work and auto-repairs are not cooperating with me to provide the time to get set up.

I started on this project last summer, but didn't get it perfected and hadn't learned what I wanted by the summer's end, so I put my Ku-Band LNBF back on and retweaked the dish to get me through the winter.

I wish I could nail down one sat for Ironside's request, but this is a really daunting task. I guess I am going to have to say 125.0°W AMC 21 for PBS, if you must squeeze me to make a decision. Here, you can get quite a variety of television, including news programs. Something for the kids, some great nature programs, news programs and debates, some concerts and sometimes maybe a movie or comedy episode.

Yes, I guess if you had to pull my teeth over it, I would go with AMC 21. No commercials, that's a plus. No infomercials! I can dig that! And plenty of STEM programs! (STEM = Science Technology Engineering and Math).

If I must decide upon ONE, it will have to be this one. AMC 21 @ 125.0°W. I had to think this over really strongly, mind you. It's like turning a teenage boy loose in a room full of supermodels! AHHH! "What do you mean, only one?" :eek:

RADAR

About an hour SW of Portland.

How far north? Where? :D

Thanks.
Get on I-5 North
Exit onto SR 503 and head east-bound

Let some one else drive while you rubber-neck.

About the time you lose sight of one you will see another within a minute the farther out you go. We didn't go past the Swift Reservoir though...

If you strike out, I may be able to part with a 10 foot mesh that will work for C-band only. Maybe we can work something out.

Good News

Ha! Well good news they are going to get a motorized system so that leaves me off the hook almost. They contacted a local guy who "supposedly" can install it for them and do all the leg work and supply everything. The only thing I have to do is show up. He wanted to supply a Viewsat but I personally do not care for those so I suggested a Fortec HD or AZbox. They are deciding on that now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)