When are the new HD channels launching?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would LOVE to have another 10-15 national HD channels that would be available for all but 6 hours on Sunday afternoons! That would be great!

Direc for some reason does not want more premiums? To openly
say they dont want channels like Epix?

Plus they are missing a slew of HBOs and other premiums?

I know they want to be the sports leader and they are.
However what about those folks who love movies?

I just think Direc is kind of short sighted on this one.

Plus I think its possibly lost revenue..

I would LOVE to have another 10-15 national HD channels that would be available for all but 6 hours on Sunday afternoons! That would be great!

Even if DirecTV wanted to do that, the actual companies that own those channels might not agree to a contract that cuts the channel off for several hours at a time.

Direc for some reason does not want more premiums? To openly
say they dont want channels like Epix?

Plus they are missing a slew of HBOs and other premiums?

I know they want to be the sports leader and they are.
However what about those folks who love movies?

I just think Direc is kind of short sighted on this one.

Plus I think its possibly lost revenue..

I think they've openly stated that it's an issue with lost revenue on premium channels. The biggest money-maker for the premium channels are the original series. I guess as long as DirecTV is carrying the main feeds in HD, they feel like that's enough.

It will be interesting to see if they add more non-Starz movie channels once the new sat launches.

Yes, there might be some complaints. But if D* were very upfront about it, announcing it broadly and making it known that the only way these channels would be available for the other 162 hours, is to use 6 of them for NFL:ST, I think that would head off a lot of the complaining.

I think they've openly stated that it's an issue with lost revenue on premium channels. The biggest money-maker for the premium channels are the original series. I guess as long as DirecTV is carrying the main feeds in HD, they feel like that's enough.

It will be interesting to see if they add more non-Starz movie channels once the new sat launches.

I sub'ed to all 4 of the premiums for years, first on E* and then for almost two years on D*. But due to the lack of HD premiums, I cut back to only Starz about 2 months ago. Felt it wasn't worth the cost for how little I was getting back, given that I watch about 97% HD.

it just seems to me that d* is really wasting alot of bandwith with all the rsn's, i mean cmon isnt it more important to get national channels up and running in hd...than to have some division 2a junior college football game in hd that only a couple thousand locals really even care about? I live in florida, so its nice to have sunshine in hd, and to be able to watch my locals sports teams in hd, but i would gladly go back to sun sd and have oh....i dont know...the travel channel in hd......

it just seems to me that d* is really wasting alot of bandwith with all the rsn's, i mean cmon isnt it more important to get national channels up and running in hd...than to have some division 2a junior college football game in hd that only a couple thousand locals really even care about? I live in florida, so its nice to have sunshine in hd, and to be able to watch my locals sports teams in hd, but i would gladly go back to sun sd and have oh....i dont know...the travel channel in hd......

You have to remember that those same RSN's are used by the NBA-LP, MLB-EI and NHL-CI packages. So even if they went to only part time HD RSN's they'd just then end up with 100 HD PPV channels since they'd have to have those to shut down and switch to game time HD RSN channels.

yeah i guess that makes sense....but still it seems that maybe they put too much empahasis on those premium sports packages.....i guess they must just really make a massive profit off of them

yeah i guess that makes sense....but still it seems that maybe they put too much empahasis on those premium sports packages.....i guess they must just really make a massive profit off of them

I wonder what Direc will fill all those open HD spots up with
When their new bird is live?

How much more sports channels can they add?

Possibly more Pay per view?

Maybe a new person in charge will realize that premium HD channels are needed.

I wonder what Direc will fill all those open HD spots up with
When their new bird is live?

How much more sports channels can they add?

Possibly more Pay per view?

Maybe a new person in charge will realize that premium HD channels are needed.

I guess that depends on one's point of view. Just me, but I'm with DTV primarily for the sports channels. I watch some premiums but not a lot of them. I agree that DTV needs to add some HD svc's to their lineup. I'd like to see the Starz/Encores all in HD and some other mainline channels in HD before adding more channels.

What dont you like about it?
Other then sports the picture breaks up, its just not sharp. I think it's call pixelating. I would guess its over compressed, which I don't see with Dish.
Again before someone says something stupid it's on the same TV that the sports looks good on. I believe its a 52 inch LED and the TV's maybe a year old. I'll have to ask what model TV it is.
A friend has it just for the football so he doesn't care but he does see it.

$ 300 + bucks for the Sunday Ticket, ya thats a lot of money ... how much really goes to D* vs the NFL I don't know.

Other then sports the picture breaks up, its just not sharp. I think it's call pixelating. I would guess its over compressed, which I don't see with Dish.
Again before someone says something stupid it's on the same TV that the sports looks good on. I believe its a 52 inch LED and the TV's maybe a year old. I'll have to ask what model TV it is.

Most of that is a lack of signal from the originating station.

Ok if you say so but I don't see the same on Dish.
That have to get the bandwidth for all those sports from somewhere.

I have zero issue with my HD. My Parents have Dish and my picture is my crisper.

As for Channels I am all about the sports but they need some main stream channels like AMC, Travel, E! and a few others. I also think HBO and Cinemax need to be added as well.

I think you misunderstood him. Go back and read his post again, then look at the equipment in his sig;)

Hmmm, maybe, but since he hasn't responded to my post, for now I will assume I am correct.

ok if you say so but I don't see any channels(SD or HD) on DIRECTV which the picture breaks up. I think it's called not pixelating. I would guess your dish needs to be re-aligned or you have a bad receiver or DVR.

the only pixelating i have is on a few cable channels but there is none what so ever on any of my directv channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)