When are the new HD channels launching?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that directv is advertising an increase to over 200 hd channels "soon", does anybody have any idea what channels will be added and when this will happen?

What difference does it make with 100 HD PPV channels and 50 part time HD RSN feeds? We'll be lucky if we get 50 true HD channels.

I cannot wait until I can get FIOS back.

What difference does it make with 100 HD PPV channels and 50 part time HD RSN feeds? We'll be lucky if we get 50 true HD channels.

I can not wait until I can get FIOS back.

I see you live in Tampa..I live across the alley..In Coral Springs.

Uverse country.

I did not know parts of our state can get Fios?

Im jealous!:rolleyes:

Lol, you have to laugh at these exaggerated posts:D

Last edited:
I see you live in Tampa..I live across the alley..In Coral Springs.

Uverse country.

I did not know parts of our state can get Fios?

Im jealous!:rolleyes:

Yeah, Temple Terrace (near Tampa) is one of the first areas to have had it. Not the first, as somebody pointed out in another post to me, but it is one of the first and their NOC center. Temple Terrace and Tampa got it and then it hit Pasco, Manatee, Sarasota and FINALLY Pinellas where I am at. I live in St Petersburg, the last city to get it in the metro and I finally got it in Nov 2008. But I had to move this past August due to a unforeseen disaster with my house. Of course I was checking the address checker on the FIOS site before renting a place. Well, the address checker made a mistake and said I was serviceable and then I found out I was not. I mean, the cable was run a LONG time ago, but in Jan 2009 Verizon made a decision not to expand in FL until Jan 2010 or so because they were focusing on NY state.

I was so mad when I found out I couldn't get FIOS. I had to break my contract and put in an engineer request to find out when my neighborhood would go live (after all, it is wired) and they told me Jan 15 and no more than 30 days sooner. I've been checking weekly and as I approach 60 days out, still no FIOS. So they were at least right about that one thing.

Anyway, I loved FIOS with the exception of the small DVR and cannot wait to get it back. My money is waiting for them.

As for DirecTV, I had them and maintained them prior to FIOS and just switched them to a very low package during FIOS. They are great for recording on the large HD DVRs for non-premium channels shows and I took advantage of "moving" to have a second set of locals and RSNs in another part of the state for southeast FL teams. I could watch the Rays or Lightning on FIOS and Marlins or Panthers on D*.

Lol, you have to laugh at these exagerated posts:D

Yeah, well.... I am still bitter about the HBO/MAX lie of June 2007. When I had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD with FIOS, I shut up for a while. Now I am back to just DirecTV since August and feel I should complain again.

Since being on D* only, I have flipped through the guide and thought, "All these HD PPVs, useless!"

Even outside of premium channels, there are TONS of HD nationals they could and should add that even the most backwoods cable companies, Dish, and the advanced FIOS networks are adding. I love Mad Men and even more so Breaking Bad. Where is my AMC HD? Gee.... FIOS and Bright House both have it now in my local market but we don't! I am pretty sure Dish Network has it too.

I am a sports fan but not a die hard sports fan. I am more about movies and entertainment and it is obvious D* cares mainly about the sports fans. That is fine but then they shouldn't mislead people. When I got on a contract I thought they really would have the most HD for a while and that was before I could get FIOS or FIOS did its own major HD upgrade.

D* is in money hungry earnings mode right now and they have been for several quarters. It irks me every time I see their earnings on the front page of satelliteguys. It is like, they have all this money and they are making NO attempt at adding real entertainment channels. It is sports, sports, sports only and they have everything (except VERSUS!).

By the time they get around to this upgrade being discussed here, I should be back on FIOS with way more channels that I actually watch in HD.

Yeah, well.... I am still bitter about the HBO/MAX lie of June 2007. When I had all 26 HBO/MAX channels in HD with FIOS, I shut up for a while. Now I am back to just DirecTV since August and feel I should complain again.

Since being on D* only, I have flipped through the guide and thought, "All these HD PPVs, useless!"

Even outside of premium channels, there are TONS of HD nationals they could and should add that even the most backwoods cable companies, Dish, and the advanced FIOS networks are adding. I love Mad Men and even more so Breaking Bad. Where is my AMC HD? Gee.... FIOS and Bright House both have it now in my local market but we don't! I am pretty sure Dish Network has it too.

I am a sports fan but not a die hard sports fan. I am more about movies and entertainment and it is obvious D* cares mainly about the sports fans. That is fine but then they shouldn't mislead people. When I got on a contract I thought they really would have the most HD for a while and that was before I could get FIOS or FIOS did its own major HD upgrade.

D* is in money hungry earnings mode right now and they have been for several quarters. It irks me every time I see their earnings on the front page of satelliteguys. It is like, they have all this money and they are making NO attempt at adding real entertainment channels. It is sports, sports, sports only and they have everything (except VERSUS!).

By the time they get around to this upgrade being discussed here, I should be back on FIOS with way more channels that I actually watch in HD.

With all due respect, they can't really add that many HD channels right now. Adding more bandwidth for new channels isn't as easy as randomly taking a new satellite out to the launch pad. The new one that will launch early next year has been in the planning stages for a long time.

All of those Cinema HD you see in the guide serve a specific purpose. They are part-time, and that bandwidth is also used for live sporting events. I don't think very many people would be happy if DirecTV replaced those with full-time HD channels, then proceeded to turn them off every Sunday afternoon during football season to cover NFL Sunday Ticket.

Traditionally, when there are new channels added, they replace a Cinema HD channel. Hopefully after NFL season is over, they will be able to start converting some of those channels to new HD even before the new satellite launches.

With all due respect, they can't really add that many HD channels right now. Adding more bandwidth for new channels isn't as easy as randomly taking a new satellite out to the launch pad. The new one that will launch early next year has been in the planning stages for a long time.

All of those Cinema HD you see in the guide serve a specific purpose. They are part-time, and that bandwidth is also used for live sporting events. I don't think very many people would be happy if DirecTV replaced those with full-time HD channels, then proceeded to turn them off every Sunday afternoon during football season to cover NFL Sunday Ticket.

Traditionally, when there are new channels added, they replace a Cinema HD channel. Hopefully after NFL season is over, they will be able to start converting some of those channels to new HD even before the new satellite launches.

You make a good point about the bandwidth used by HD PPV. I mean if they really are that tight. But they should have planned better then. They did announce channels that they never added, which looks like lying to the public. I know there are other reasons they didn't add the HBO/Max channels, but there are tons of nationals that are even better than the nationals they do carry. MTV HD didn't air crap for HD for at least the first YEAR. The same could be said for other stuff too. I just don't like their deceptive tactics. Their DVRs are great and they could be a GREAT service if they stuck to their word and kept up with other carriers on channels.

As for the Sunday ticket bandwidth, wouldn't they then need that bandwidth for the other sports after the season ends? Well, maybe not, since they already have all the bandwidth for all RSNs in HD and the other sports packages are made up of RSN feeds.

Interesting input. Appreciated.

You make a good point about the bandwidth used by HD PPV. I mean if they really are that tight. But they should have planned better then. They did announce channels that they never added, which looks like lying to the public. I know there are other reasons they didn't add the HBO/Max channels, but there are tons of nationals that are even better than the nationals they do carry. MTV HD didn't air crap for HD for at least the first YEAR. The same could be said for other stuff too. I just don't like their deceptive tactics. Their DVRs are great and they could be a GREAT service if they stuck to their word and kept up with other carriers on channels.

As for the Sunday ticket bandwidth, wouldn't they then need that bandwidth for the other sports after the season ends? Well, maybe not, since they already have all the bandwidth for all RSNs in HD and the other sports packages are made up of RSN feeds.

Curious, why, if your not really into sports, stay with Direc?
Only reason I have them is for NFL and NHL Tickets. Plus 101HD..I love Friday night lights.

In the meantime while you wait for Fios, get dish.

Much better system then direc...More movie channels!

I have both...No comparison, dish is my main unit.

last i read, dtv 12 is suppose to launch between late december and january. if its january, i'm guessing its, at least, april before they add new national hd.

Only reason I have them is for NFL and NHL Tickets. Plus 101HD..I love Friday night lights.

:up
That's what I tell people, direct is only good for sports.:eek:

I am in a contract with DirecTV. I don't want to break it and start another one with Dish. I have had Dish, they weren't bad, but they were falling behind in HD back in 2007 so I switched to DirecTV in 2008. DirecTV looked promising. They failed me. Anyway, I'll have FIOS hopefully in less than 70 days. Then I will drop D* back and ride out the contract.

Again, I do like the DirecTV DVRs. I'd either have to go Tivo for FIOS or have 4 DVRs instead of 2 with FIOS if I got rid of DirecTV. I record a lot of non-premium series and it would fill up the FIOS boxes right away.

Also, I cannot complain about the DirecTV pricing. Just the channels. Right now for example I moved and got put in a Sunday Ticket special that was cheaper than not having Sunday Ticket. I never watch it. But I do get all the premiums and it is under $100.

DirecTV has the hardware and pricing right. They could really turn the product into something if they would keep up with channels.

last i read, dtv 12 is suppose to launch between late december and january. if its january, i'm guessing its, at least, april before they add new national hd.
Once the NFL is over, I would think they could use that bandwidth for adding new national HD even before the new satellite is up and running.

Once the NFL is over, I would think they could use that bandwidth for adding new national HD even before the new satellite is up and running.
They could, but what it the worst happens and DirecTV 12 doesn't make it to operation. Then what do they do, remove the channels when they need the bandwidth for sports again?

I agree that it was a poor decision to announce new channels when they weren't 100% sure they would be added. I assume there was a contract dispute, and the deal fell through. At that time, they still had capacity to add more national HD channels, because other channels have been added since then. Either way, the announcement was indeed a lie.

I think the whole HBO/Cinemax blunder from a couple years ago is one of the reasons they aren't yet making any official announcements about new HD channels that will be added after the launch of DirecTV 12.

You are right about the other sports not needing as much bandwidth. Most of the NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass HD channels are remaps of RSNs.

As far as the current assessment of bandwidth for HD, the "other site" has a great analysis of available bandwidth, including where current HD channels are located, where new HD channels have been added, and which slots new HD channels might be placed in the future.

I don't think very many people would be happy if DirecTV replaced those with full-time HD channels, then proceeded to turn them off every Sunday afternoon during football season to cover NFL Sunday Ticket.

I would LOVE to have another 10-15 national HD channels that would be available for all but 6 hours on Sunday afternoons! That would be great!

I would LOVE to have another 10-15 national HD channels that would be available for all but 6 hours on Sunday afternoons! That would be great!

But then their would be the others that were upset that the channels were yanked. Remember all the posts from upset folks when TNT-HD was shut down on Sunday afternoons to make room for NFL-ST HD games?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)