When Directv looks better than Dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
It took me a while to figure out what most people were seeing (if they truly were seeing it).

Yes, there are clearly people who believe that DirectvHD looks better than Dish. They see it. Their experts see it. A prime example:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=605213&postcount=36

little dish guy said:
I just spoke to 2 friends that currently have both D* and E* HD right now as I type this and they both say D* has the better HD picture, (crisper, sharper, more detailed, whatever you want to call it) although the margin is very small. They are both feeding D* and E* to the same monitor and can rapidly switch between services to verify. One friend has a 50” Pioneer Elite and the other is a 42” Dell.

Now, here we have a rationale human being that swears that Directv has better picture quality better than Dish. But then we we examine the Dell website and the specs on the 42" Dell "HDTV" we find:

Key Benefits:The new W4201C features 16:9 image aspect ratios while providing High Definition with 1024 x 768 resolution.

So the Dell cannot even do typical 1280x720p resolution - much less 1280x1080i HDLITE - I surely cannot even begin to resolve higher resolutions that Dish is capable of.

And then there is Richard who swears for 400 posts on avsforum that the H20 HD LIL looks identical to OTA HD. After weeks of wondering which planet he lives on, it turns out, he owns an EDTV - not capable of HD Resolution.

Now obviously Pioneer made very good monitors for years and I am sure some few people will be just plan wrong. Or maybe the set was not adjusted right - or possibily it was an older Pioneer that was 720p native. We just don't know from the above post.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IF YOU WISH TO ARGUE THAT DIRECTV HD LOOKS AS GOOD AS OTA OR IS BETTER THAN DISH, AT LEAST HAVE A REAL HDTV THAT IS PROPERLY CALIBRATED AND IS ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF HDTV RESOLUTION!!!!

Otherwise, please post that DirectvHD looks superior on a EDTV, not on HDTV.

Thanks.

I have a Mits 55511. Is that a good enough display for you? It is for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but....litttle dish guy just spoke to 2 friends that currently have both D* and E* HD and they both say D* has the better HD picture? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
directvfreak said:
How about a 1080p display to compare on? It is good enough for me.

Youll get the same results as you would with the aforementioned Mits 55511..

It dosnet matter what TV is used really..They dont make a TV that magically improves the D* signal..And they dont make a TV that somehow magically degrades the E* signal..

cleaned up. (just removed the long quote)

No need to quote the whole post just to add a one sentence reply. It makes it cumbersome to read :)

The Dell in question is aW4200 and boasts of 1080i resolution. I still need to see the comparison for myself, but please tell me why D* HD seems to look better than E* HD, even if the monitor supposedly doesn’t display the ultimate quality. And another thing, Both D* and E* compress the HD and SD to reduce bandwidth to fit as much as they deem possible into each transponder. Are you hinting that E* is providing a signal quality exactly the same as what they stick into their system?
Bob
HDTVFanAtic said:
It took me a while to figure out what most people were seeing (if they truly were seeing it).
Snip...
Now, here we have a rationale human being that swears that Directv has better picture quality better than Dish. But then we we examine the Dell website and the specs on the 42" Dell "HDTV" we find:

Key Benefits:The new W4201C features 16:9 image aspect ratios while providing High Definition with 1024 x 768 resolution.

So the Dell cannot even do typical 1280x720p resolution - much less 1280x1080i HDLITE - I surely cannot even begin to resolve higher resolutions that Dish is capable of.
Snip snip....

Thanks.

HDTVFanAtic said:

Well that appears to be a typo on the Dell website there. Why would a 16x9 display only have a max resolution of 1024x768 which results in a 4x3 image? Clearly the info on Dells site should have read 1280x720 if it's a 16x9 or 1280x768 if it's actually a 16x10 screen like my Dell LCD TV/Monitor on my desk is.

little dish guy said:
The Dell in question is aW4200 and boasts of 1080i resolution.

From a Review:

The W4200 has a native pixel resolution of 1,024-by-768; that means it isn't a true HD device, since it doesn't have enough pixels to draw a 1,280-by-720 (720p) HDTV image. This is common among 42-inch plasma panels, and the W4200's PixelWorks video processor does a very good job scaling both 720p and 1080i HDTV images to fit onto the screen. The W4200 has two tuners built in, one of which is an ATSC over-the-air HD tuner. Having a built-in ATSC tuner allows this set to display HDTV channels that are broadcast in your area, though you will need an antenna (not included).

Which means the Dell down-converts 1080i/720P to fit 1024x768, kind of like how D* down converts their HD.

FlyingJ said:
Once again, why the argument, I am happy with my Sat provider, I hope everyone is happy with theirs.

Im happy with all my providers in one way or another...

But Dish is knock your socks off the best of my providers...No contest :)

I agree, it's best to have multiple providers, but if you want hd and can only have one, dish is the way to go right now.

Questioner said:
I agree, it's best to have multiple providers, but if you want hd and can only have one, dish is the way to go right now.

You constantly post how bad DirecTV is - how come you keep their service?

I also see you NEVER post on the DISH boards, if they are so great in your opinion, why aren't you in THOSE threads with the happy E* subs?

Do you come into these forums just to bust peoples chops?

Questioner said:

Not necessarily if you are a sports fan first and foremost.

ScoBuck said:
You constantly post how bad DirecTV is - how come you keep their service?

I also see you NEVER post on the DISH boards, if they are so great in your opinion, why aren't you in THOSE threads with the happy E* subs?

Do you come into these forums just to bust peoples chops?

I have dish as well, but I don't find much to complain about.

Questioner said:
I have dish as well, but I don't find much to complain about.

Why do you feel you should only post when you have complaints - why don't you post in them with some 'good news' stuff?

I read thru the Dish boards today - amazing, but there are LOTS of complaints there as well. You should give THOSE complainers some info to help them.

HDTVFanAtic said:

Yes, there are clearly people who believe that DirectvHD looks better than Dish. They see it. Their experts see it. A prime example:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=605213&postcount=36

And then there is Richard who swears for 400 posts on avsforum that the H20 HD LIL looks identical to OTA HD. After weeks of wondering which planet he lives on, it turns out, he owns an EDTV - not capable of HD Resolution.

Now obviously Pioneer made very good monitors for years and I am sure some few people will be just plan wrong. Or maybe the set was not adjusted right - or possibily it was an older Pioneer that was 720p native. We just don't know from the above post.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IF YOU WISH TO ARGUE THAT DIRECTV HD LOOKS AS GOOD AS OTA OR IS BETTER THAN DISH, AT LEAST HAVE A REAL HDTV THAT IS PROPERLY CALIBRATED AND IS ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF HDTV RESOLUTION!!!!

Otherwise, please post that DirectvHD looks superior on a EDTV, not on HDTV.

Thanks.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questioner said:

I have HD and choose to have only one Dish I choose to stay with D* because I feel that now and in the future they will offer what I want and now that the RSN's are on I feel better with my choice.

I visit these forums to see what's new in the HD world and now it seems to be more for a laugh ( my picture is better than yours )
And I take offense to being bashed and called names because my choice does not agree with a select few that post on this site very childish if you ask me.
I am a D* subscriber that went HD a couple months ago I am very happy with my PQ and the content available to me I am a sports fan and could care less about Voom and some of the others.
If E* has a better picture that's fine but I have only heard that from a select few.

I have seen posts on many forums comparing D* MPEG 4 Locals to OTA and 75% or better say it's a toss up How do you explain that? I would say thats pretty good PQ.
After all I am happy with what I have and that should be all that counts. Some day I may decide to switch to another provider also but NO ONE DESERVES TO BE BASHED and Raked over the coals because of there selection and I notice it is only a select few that do this. yep I'm a newbie but I have my opinion to

upnorth said:
I have HD and choose to have only one Dish I choose to stay with D* because I feel that now and in the future they will offer what I want and now that the RSN's are on I feel better with my choice.

I visit these forums to see what's new in the HD world and now it seems to be more for a laugh ( my picture is better than yours )
And I take offense to being bashed and called names because my choice does not agree with a select few that post on this site very childish if you ask me.
I am a D* subscriber that went HD a couple months ago I am very happy with my PQ and the content available to me I am a sports fan and could care less about Voom and some of the others.
If E* has a better picture that's fine but I have only heard that from a select few.

I have seen posts on many forums comparing D* MPEG 4 Locals to OTA and 75% or better say it's a toss up How do you explain that? I would say thats pretty good PQ.
After all I am happy with what I have and that should be all that counts. Some day I may decide to switch to another provider also but NO ONE DESERVES TO BE BASHED and Raked over the coals because of there selection and I notice it is only a select few that do this. yep I'm a newbie but I have my opinion to

Nice copy and paste post Upnorth..You posted the exact same thing just 2 days ago in another thread..

Well, at least you got a single response this time :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts