When is EV going to get HDNET? & When is *C going to put more HD on?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I thought they won the right to carry HDNET? Am I wrong?

I'm interested in seeing when the "freevu" HD channels are no longer "free"

Will *C be able to carry HDNET also?

Does EV have an exclusive contract with Discovery , as well as others, or can *C carry it also?

Last edited:
HDNet does not have Canadian rights for most of their offering. Marc Cuban can negotiate until he is blue in the face but TSN owns the national cable NHL rights in Canada. People are not going to pay extra to receive a service that often has the "This program is not available in your area" screen.

When reality finally occurs to him, he will get Cancom to uplink a Canadian version just like TCM finally realized they had to.

As for Discovery HD, it is a Category 2 channel - meaning that any provider can package it or make it ala carte. All Shaw companies and most other cable operators feel that there be little demand for the service at the price that BGM wanted. Perhaps the price will change now that Bell is only a minority shareholder (20%) in BGM.

As for more HD on SC, Anik F3 launch has been delayed until spring 07 due to the last Proton rocket failure. But plans are to move some non Cancom feeds to AMC16 sometime in the fall. Rumour is 6 new HD channels coming.

Last edited:
6 new HD channels for Starchoice et. al will almost catch them up to ExpressVU..... just in time for ExpressVU to launch their 6 new rumoured HD channels this fall.

It never ends........... ;)

Kryspy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)