When is the new D* DVR coming out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seeing everyone has told you the HR20 is the latest and greatest, the HR21 will be coming out Sept. to OCT. It should be cheaper and missing at least the ATSC tuner that the HR20 has.

The AT&T U-verse stinks is one persons opinion, in one perticular area of the country, much like lots say Comcast suxs, in one area, while other love it in thier area.
Don't rule AT&T out until you've tried them or at least seen it.

Jimbo

AT&T stinking was kind of my own opinion based off of other peoples listed features... When I talked to AT&T they told me that you can only have 1 DVR per household but the rep mentioned you can get unlocked units from ebay and some people that work with her have them and say they work fine... seems like a lot of hoops to jump through... also when my wife is watching her HD movies downstairs I would like to watch some HD content in my home theater which currently AT&T has limitations in that area. They are facing a lot of scrutiny for not going all fiber to the house and areas don't want them to come in with those HUGE boxes that make it even possible for their service to work.

I actually hope Verizon is given a green light to move in and force AT&T to go or get off the pot :)

Seeing everyone has told you the HR20 is the latest and greatest, the HR21 will be coming out Sept. to OCT. It should be cheaper and missing at least the ATSC tuner that the HR20 has.

Why in Gods name would they ditch the ATSC tuner so early?

Not saying its not real but this is first I have heard about it too Scott.

I have heard about it before on DBSTalk in a talk about the "R16". There is such a beast in the works, basically an R15 that is SWM capable (R15 doesn't have the hardware to do SWM). HR21 was brought up but each time Earl said that there most likely is a next generation box on the drawing board in development but it would be a long ways out. I mean why do all this work on the HR20 if you planned to scrap it in 3 months. Makes no sense.

But other then that I have seen no credible rumor of an HR21 coming soon or otherwise. Again, doesn't mean it wouldn't be coming and we're wrong but I'd think the Cutting Edge on DBStalk would have gotten wind of it by now. Or Scott G here if he has good enough contacts in DirecTV now. No word on either front. If there was going to be such a large change in the platform I'd say it would have a bigger number different then just HR21. I'd expect an HR25 or HR30 in that case.

Yep there would be more info if it was 3 or 4 months out including FCC files and documents. I dont know why anyone would care at this point. What would it get you that the HR20 doesnt. Heck we all waited a very long time for that to come out and even that took 6+ months to stabilize and work out the major bugs. So anyone on the fence, stick with the HR20 and dont worry about the next gen receiver at this point.

There is a massive thread about eSata solutions at DBStalk. There are some guys with raid enclosures that have put in three 1 TB drives and thus have 3 TB of recording space. Crazy.

Umm! If they have three 1 TB drives in a raid array, they have 2 TB of usable space. The third disk is for parity.

There is a massive thread about eSata solutions at DBStalk. There are some guys with raid enclosures that have put in three 1 TB drives and thus have 3 TB of recording space. Crazy.

Umm! If they have three 1 TB drives in a raid array, they have 2 TB of usable space. The third disk is for parity.

In what raid configuration?

Raid 5 all 3 are used for Striping/Parity (n-1)

Raid 0 turns all drives into 1 with no parity (theres 3 TB)

Raid 1 Is all parity (ouch 3 drives for 1 tb)

Oh and the Reason they are probably dropping the ATSC tuner is that all Digital TVs (all tvs next year i believe) are required to contain an ATSC tuner

At this time, yes it's a limitation everywhere. AT&T says that they'll be able to add a 2nd stream sometime in 2008, but they also said that for 2007.
Yes but even adding a 2nd line is not nearly adequate for alot of people.
I am suprised they don't have a better set up to start out with. (and disappointed)

Jimbo

Oh and the Reason they are probably dropping the ATSC tuner is that all Digital TVs (all tvs next year i believe) are required to contain an ATSC tuner

Actually, I think the commitment to a HD tuner was this current year, 2006.
Also, the current H20's don't have a analog tuner anymore anyways, unfortunatly.
Reason I say that is because some people have old TV's that are used at lakes and cottages ect. I am sure they don't want to have to buy a new TV just to see locals if it's not available from D*

Jimbo

Yes but even adding a 2nd line is not nearly adequate for alot of people.
I am suprised they don't have a better set up to start out with. (and disappointed)

Jimbo

They were the ones that decided to go with FTTN instead of FTTP. Big mistake!

Actually, I think the commitment to a HD tuner was this current year, 2006.
Also, the current H20's don't have a analog tuner anymore anyways, unfortunatly.
Reason I say that is because some people have old TV's that are used at lakes and cottages ect. I am sure they don't want to have to buy a new TV just to see locals if it's not available from D*

Jimbo

Ah, I knew it was required... and i hadnt shopped for a tv in a few years... i was shopping and saw they all had digital tuners so i did a little research to discover the legislation

In a FEW select new subdivision AT&T has been installing fiber to begin with. Don't know where those are because when I was looking for a new home I was looking at all sort of new subdivisions and they were all copper.

In a FEW select new subdivision AT&T has been installing fiber to begin with. Don't know where those are because when I was looking for a new home I was looking at all sort of new subdivisions and they were all copper.
You have that exactly right....
Here where I live there is ONE complex built and another going up that will be FTTP, that said the other 99 % will be FTTN.
I asked the bosses about that and they said only new developements will get the FTTP, due to previous agreement with the local cable company.
Consequently, we can't go inand just start placing fiber in the right aways and yards without prior approval.

Jimbo

Welp Directv went the extra mile with me and earned my business and got another service contract. I had a year left and let them know the $150 to buy out my contract was less than a normal month of service for me. I told them there was other options around that offered internet, tv, and phone and I could save money by switching. They 1st offered 1 HR20 and the 2nd for $199 with a $100 credit and HD access for free for 12 months.. I told them other services I didn't have to pay for the DVR and I would sooner buy out my contract the retention agent said what if I offer you on top of this a $20 credit per month and make the 2nd DVR free?

DONE!

2 HR20's
1 Slimline dish
$10 free HD Access for 12 months
$20 credit per month for 12 months

SUHWEET!

Welp Directv went the extra mile with me and earned my business and got another service contract. I had a year left and let them know the $150 to buy out my contract was less than a normal month of service for me. I told them there was other options around that offered internet, tv, and phone and I could save money by switching. They 1st offered 1 HR20 and the 2nd for $199 with a $100 credit and HD access for free for 12 months.. I told them other services I didn't have to pay for the DVR and I would sooner buy out my contract the retention agent said what if I offer you on top of this a $20 credit per month and make the 2nd DVR free?

DONE!

2 HR20's
1 Slimline dish
$10 free HD Access for 12 months
$20 credit per month for 12 months

SUHWEET!

Looks like you negotiated a very good deal for yourself, and welcome to D* !

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NFL Superfan Red Zone Channel in HD This Year

replacement lnb duo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)