When Is The Next Wave Of Hd Coming On E*

Yeah, I like VOOM too...just watched a couple shows, Mount Rainer and the Himalayas, on Rush and Equator...but I would like to see other HD channels brought online before any VOOM HD. Personally, I would like to see VOOM add another 1 or two movies channels or, at the very least, bring back GuyTV and give Kung Fu the chop (play the karate flicks on GuyTV).

navychop said:
Actually, we are now getting all the old Voom channels. They consolidated 21 to 15 and eliminated some repeats. No actual content was discontinued. There are no other Voom channels to add.
I had the original Voom before it appeared on E*. If you use that as a reference, then some of the movie channels were lost lost during the consolidation.

S. Mota or M. Sparks, please add more detail. TIA.

I get local just fine in HD over the air.

I would rather they fix 129 transponder 22 first (HGTV and National Geo HD) BEFORE ADDING ANY MORE HD LOCALS.

Its almost like the Sat is "wobeling" (not sure of spelling) as in the day time transponders 22 is lower in power and at night its higher.

Direct TV had a transponder once that did that. They got it fixed by cycling through some smaller thruster firings over one month.

JH1949 said:
I had the original Voom before it appeared on E*. If you use that as a reference, then some of the movie channels were lost lost during the consolidation.

S. Mota or M. Sparks, please add more detail. TIA.

There are six missing which are not now in the Original 21 voom channels. I do not think we will ever see the 21 HD channels as before since there has been a progression to change them or come up with a totally different concept like Gameplay HD.

Thanks.

I was under the impression 61W T27 was a Sky Angel Transponder. That's wrong on my behalf.

You list T30 61W. Lyngsat doesn't. Wasn't there some issue with this transponder and does Dish actually have rights to it?

Same goes for 129W T24. Lyngsat does not show that as belonging to Dish???

Finally, is there some technical reason they cannot mix MPEG2 and MPEG4 on the same transponder, just as they could not mix the SD and HD programming between transponders?

So there appears to be room for a handful to maybe a dozen more channels. Anyone know what Dish has their sleeves after that? Obviously they are hoping for mpeg-4 to actually work and allow more channels per transponder. Do they have a satellite being built to go up in 2007?

Edit: Ahh, looks like Loral is building Echostar 11 to go up in 2007.

Last edited:
scooby2 said:
So there appears to be room for a handful to maybe a dozen more channels. Anyone know what Dish has their sleeves after that? Obviously they are hoping for mpeg-4 to actually work and allow more channels per transponder. Do they have a satellite being built to go up in 2007?

Edit: Ahh, looks like Loral is building Echostar 11 to go up in 2007.

Actually, that's the question. Those transponders in question determine how much is really available.

Also, Dish has announced several HD markets that are not on the list - so the question is how do they fit in on the vacancy side of things - as each market is filling up 1 transponder slot.

That's part of the whole equation of how much room there is.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Actually, that's the question. Those transponders in question determine how much is really available.

Also, Dish has announced several HD markets that are not on the list - so the question is how do they fit in on the vacancy side of things - as each market is filling up 1 transponder slot.

That's part of the whole equation of how much room there is.
HD markets should not factor in if they use spotbeams that can be duplicated in different areas of the country. Then if DISH moves all LIL off CON-US to spotbeams even more transponders are freed up.
It sounds like their are plenty of vacancies for the HD channels that are available now or expected this year.

Dslate-
You got it there..

If they want (and maybe they are planning on this), they can move the Philly/DC/NY HD locals off of 61.5 and throw them on a spotbeam on E*10, like they have with a few other cities.

Right there you have 3 more TP's available.

dslate69 said:
HD markets should not factor in if they use spotbeams that can be duplicated in different areas of the country. Then if DISH moves all LIL off CON-US to spotbeams even more transponders are freed up.
It sounds like their are plenty of vacancies for the HD channels that are available now or expected this year.

61W and 129W and 148W (and 118 as I understand it) do not have Spotbeams.

Also, if there are vacant spotbeams on 110W, why did they not use them to begin with instead of fwaking Atlanta by putting the HD-LILs on 129W.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
61W and 129W and 148W (and 118 as I understand it) do not have Spotbeams.

Also, if there are vacant spotbeams on 110W, why did they not use them to begin with instead of fwaking Atlanta by putting the HD-LILs on 129W.
I thought Rainbow 1 at 61.5 had spot beams.

Right now the only real disadvantage E* has vs. D* is the RSNs as far as HD goes.

Add Sunday Ticket to that if they will have all the out of market games in HD this fall.....

Kirby Baker said:

Great info! I wonder if they have ever tested the spotbeam capability as its clearly been operated in CONUS mode.

Is this the only bird that has gone up that can operate a transponder with no loss in Conus or Spotbeam mode? In the past the reference has been made that it was either or (and obviously not at the same time) in terms of the technical layout of the transponders.

I'm not sure. I could have sworn I had a link to a document at LMSS about Rainbow 1, and I thought it contradicted that press release I did link above. Maybe it was another bird, but I could have sworn that Rainbow 1 was only able to do all CONUS or all Spots, not a mix. But if it really can do a variable mix, that is extremely cool!

Do we know the theoretical maximum number of channels dish can put on one spot beam transponder? Take for example the Phoenix market currently we have 4 locals ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX all on TP-18 SB-35 this market has 4 more HD "locals"

KTVK ch3 Indp., plays Diamondback Home Games in HD (DirecTV Just added this one on their KAKU Dish.)
KAET ch8 PBS, HD off and on all Day (this could be solved by a National PBS HD Feed.)
KASW ch61 WB/(CW), This channel will become the CW this fall And will Have many Primetime shows in HD as well as Coyotes NHL games in HD.
FSNAZ, Our local RSN is currently showing sporting events in HD

So the question is will some or all of these fit on the same TP or would the Phoenix market need 2 SB TP?

BFG said:
Not yet, there's still vacancy left, haven't gotten that tight yet...

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but there are 20 HD LIL markets already committed to.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=615001&postcount=3

Others Still Planned
(list is by size, date of addition may not be so)

Cleveland/Akron/Canton, OH
Orlando-Daytona Beach, FL
Pittsburgh, PA
Baltimore, MD
Charlotte, NC
Milwaukee, WI
Cincinnati, OH
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC/Asheville, NC
Norfolk/Portsmouth, VA
New Orleans, LA
Memphis, TN
Oklahoma City, OK
Buffalo, NY
Providence, RI/New Bedford, MA
Louisville, KY
Jacksonville, FL/Brunswick, GA
Austin, TX
Tulsa, OK
Springfield, MO
Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY

E* has been unable to get any more that 4 HD-LIL on any transponder.

Simple math says they need the equivilant of 20 additional transponders to go with the above list.

So, again, looking at your chart, I don't see the 20 additional transponders. If they pull some on 61.5W and put them in spotbeam mode, the question is will they still have enough for the nationals on 61.5 they already have that are duplicated on 129W.

So again, I can't see any room at all available where you state there is plenty of capacity left.

Could you please explain where these 20 HD LILs Markets are going and where all this extra capacity is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)