When will D* update this crappy D10 user interface?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jason B

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Anyone besides me hate the user interface on the D10s??

At least they could upgrade it to include the mini-guide and the colored channel logos like the R15..

Any news on an upcoming update??

Thanks

The D10-100s just had an update recently, they seemed to have moved _from_ the color logos, etc, _to_ the 'new' blue/mono-logo scheme.

I too liked the color logos (only seen them on the D10-200, my 100s always had the mono logos and blue gui), I can only assume this is meant to unify their interfaces for lower support costs (they only need to know one interface for D10s, not 2 or more), that, and they probably save money making their own interface.

I also suspect they want some features to be exclusive to their 'advanced' equipment, the D10s are their bottom of the line STB (afaik), so, I wouldn't expect to see a feature like mini guide or color logos on the D10 anytime soon.

My D10-200 had an old version which had the color guide, among other nifty things (like more individual favorite lists (profiles)), But, I do not recall seeing if the 200 had a mini-guide, since it is in a room I do not frequent (and now it's too late since it now has the mono-logos and blue gui).

They _seem_ to release an update every 6 months or so, note, however, that that is based on my short time owning one.

Last edited:
My receiver is actually a D10-200. It originally had the old Samsung user interface (which was much better) but after the update it is just like the D10-100s..

I just wished they would change the font and make it bigger and easier to read on the channel banner. I really dont see how older people that dont see that well read it at all.. I have trouble and I can see good..

The font issue is something I have heard alot about on here, from what I saw when I first got my D10-100s, and before the June'05 update, the font was even _smaller_.

They really should offer an alternate font size (or better yet configurable skin/interface/color) in Settings.

I agree... Ive owned a bunch of receivers over the years and this is the only one that doesnt have configurable skin/interface/color. I understand that they want to save money, but how much more could it possibly cost to add these feautures??

If it wasnt for the interactive features on the D10, I'd go back to one of my older RCA receivers in a heartbeat....

Well, I do not think it's _just_ to save money, more like to increase income, it is a way to segregate/delineate the 'low end' users from the 'high end', i.e. "Want color logos and mini guide? Upgrade to our new STB.".

They hope that these features might persuade low end owners into getting their 'advanced' equipment to gain those features, and when they do, they lock us into 2 year commitment (and it'll work too). That income could be significant.

To be fair, there might be a logistical reason for it in addition to those mentioned, after all, mono logos instead of color, and no mini guide code mean more resources avaialable on the STB, (for interactive feature for example), more resources avail for free (more or less), and less they have to spend to increase capacities on the present design(s).

Last edited:
True, its all about the $$$$.. I'd like to have the features, but I really wouldnt use the DVR enough to justify the extra $5.99 monthly fee (or however much it is)..

Status
Please reply by conversation.