When will Directv Similcast Major PPV Events in MPEG 4?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Title says it all. Im watching the Royal Rumble and the PQ is pretty bad at times. I know that If they offered a better quality version I would buy more. It only makes sense, to do it. After all if im going to pay 10 bucks extra for the PPV in HD they better give it to me in MPEG 4 full hd DD 5.1 WITH NO PIXOLATION WHAT SO EVER!!

You know the answer Bob: They will probally never simulcast it :(

Eventually, when most customers have been ugraded to at least one MPEG4 HD receiver, meaning they mpeg2 only hd accounts are nearly extinct, then they will switch the PPV events and stuff to mpeg4.

Unfortunately, what you are watching is a big $$$ maker, so it will be one of the last things to switch.

You know the answer Bob: They will probally never simulcast it :(

Eventually, when most customers have been ugraded to at least one MPEG4 HD receiver, meaning they mpeg2 only hd accounts are nearly extinct, then they will switch the PPV events and stuff to mpeg4.

Unfortunately, what you are watching is a big $$$ maker, so it will be one of the last things to switch.

Yea Tell me about it.. To me it makes only too much sence to Similcast this channel. How many MPEG 2 HD subs to they have to transition. You would Think by summertime they could potentally have their whole hd base transitioned over.

Are the ufc ppv's in mpeg 2? You would think that they would broadcast in higher quality for the paying ppv customers.

Yeah the Royal Rumble PPV in HD was nothing to write home about. Also the lack of Dolby Digital wasn't fun either, although I attribute that more to the WWF and not the PPV feed provided.

Title says it all. Im watching the Royal Rumble and the PQ is pretty bad at times. I know that If they offered a better quality version I would buy more. It only makes sense, to do it. After all if im going to pay 10 bucks extra for the PPV in HD they better give it to me in MPEG 4 full hd DD 5.1 WITH NO PIXOLATION WHAT SO EVER!!

I heard something about "Motionflow 120Hz enable smoother motion when viewing movies or fast-action sports"
I heard this from many people it would help reduce any pixelation on the screen, its mainly on the new Sony TV's but I am sure other companies have this feature available on their TV's too.
But I totally agree with you, if you are going to pay 50$ for a PPV, they better make sure you get the best quality out there..

Now I am not sure if the whole MotionFlow actually works, but heard it from the HD forums and avs forums about it, that it helps preventing pixelation effects.

The sooner they get these legacy people off those mpeg2 receivers the better. I'm sick of mpeg2 HD. The PQ is just horrible when compared to mpeg4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)