when will dish fix HDMI on the 612?

romans8:28

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Hello everyone...... first post here at this site........

I just upgraded all my equipment and ended up with a 722 and a 612... the 612 when hooked up via HDMI will randomly freeze in menus (requires a reset to recover).

I thought it was just my new unit, until I researched the issue (here and elsewhere). Apparently none of the VIP612 receivers work correctly via the HDMI connection. I called tech support and they said they were getting numerous reports about the freezing 612 units and would have "engineering" look at it.

Questions:

Is this something that a software upgrade will fix?

Does anyone have of know of 612 units working correctly over HDMI?

I am running it with component for the time being (at it seems fine), but I am extremely disappointed being forced to use this alternate setup when the receiver is advertised as HDMI

Go buy another one (HDMI) at Wal-Mart (at least they'll give your money back no questions asked) and see if it solves the problem. But don't tear up the package so you can take it back if the freeze up's continues. Did you also unplug the receiver for 30 seconds instead of holding down the power button? Run the infamous check switch test and see what it does. Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch, Test.

Since this is a documented problem with the 612(i have one, does the same thing over HDMI), I wouldn't waste my time getting another one at WAL-MART, just continue to use component and I'm sure over time this receiver will be made stable(and then unstable, and then perhaps stable again) with future software upgrades.

Since this is a documented problem with the 612(i have one, does the same thing over HDMI), I wouldn't waste my time getting another one at WAL-MART, just continue to use component and I'm sure over time this receiver will be made stable(and then unstable, and then perhaps stable again) with future software upgrades.

Thanks for the input..........

We (the 612 owner's) need to all keep up the pressure on Dish until they get this straightened out. What good is a HDMI receiver that can't do HDMI
Component is not an answer, just a cheap bandaid

The sad history of the 222 should give you an idea of what to expect in terms of expeditious solutions.

The 722's I have operate virtually rock-solid. They work flawlessly during use of external HDD, a BIG surprise to me.

Meanwhile the 222 I have, while not as horrific as others have experienced, is still somewhat flaky, but improved from the first day I got it. And now the 612 is buggy.

Can someone who is willing to open the box or who may have accurate information regarding software please tell us why the 722, in general, seems to work rather well while the 222 and 612 have significant problems. Better chip-sets, sufficiently powered for tasks, or what?

My VIP612 freezes up all the time. I got on the phone with DISH, and got rather IRRATE with them the other night, and they sent me a new 612. Within an hour it was locking up and rebooting also. So I call DISH back today. The service rep informed me that they are aware of the problem, and a new receiver will not fix the issue. They said there engineers are working on it. I am ticked!! I will give them a until the end of March to fix this, then I will cancel, and switch to Direct TV. If they can't fix it in a month then that is their problem. Its funny the CSR said they the public wanted this DVR so the had to rush and release for US, because "We wanted it." Then she said now its just going to take some time to work out the bugs. I've been a dish network customer for 10 years, and I will cancel soon.

Since Dish released the L4.73 version software, I have not had any more freeze ups........ not to say it's actually "fixed" but so far so good at the moment. I will report back after a few days pass.

Im glad the install company had no 612s a quick call to the CEOs office and bam a 722 for the same price.

I have been a Dish customer for seven years. Just got the 612 and it locks up several times a day. I called Dish to report the problem and they weren't any help. Just said wait for the "fix" to come out. When? They don't know. Are the 622 and 722 "tested"? What is the word on these receivers?

Purpose of 612

Swap out your 612 for a 622. There really is no reason for the 612 to even exist.

The benefit of the 612 over the 622 is policy; they count it as one receiver of the four you can lease, while the 622 and 722 count as two. They could easily change their policy so the 622 and 722 count as one, then could drop the 612. How many people really use the 622 and 722 for two TVs anyway?

Thanks for the input..........

We (the 612 owner's) need to all keep up the pressure on Dish until they get this straightened out. What good is a HDMI receiver that can't do HDMI
Component is not an answer, just a cheap bandaid

Component is just fine. I prefer it and optical digital anyway.
HDMI was ill-conceived from the beginnig, there are issues other places too.

fred

Swap out your 612 for a 622. There really is no reason for the 612 to even exist.

Have they ever fixed the HDMI connector on the 622? On my 622 all you had to do was basically touch the HDMI connector and it would break. They used a surface mount connection, so the process of plugging on the cable was enough to break it.

If you are careful to make sure there is not a lifting force on the jack, they work fine. If you are brave you can resolder the jack. I have my HDMI cable ziptied to exert no force on the jack and have had no problems.

Hi, I have noticed that alot of people are having problems with their 612 Dvrs like me. I have to reboot mine up to 10 times a day, So pretty much my T.V. watching is controled by what my 612 DVR wants to do that day. I have called Dish Network so many times in the last month I lost count. Their customer service is the worst I have ever come across. The most I have gotten was a 50 dollar credit on my bill. And I know that is only because I bug them so often. I have asked if they don't find a software fix soon will they replace my 612 with a DVR that doesn't freeze up all the time. And they said that the engineers decide that and they aren't going to do that just yet. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you seem to be on issues like this so I really don't know what to say to Dish to get this fixed. I just know that I have read all of your posts on this issue and was wondering has
Dish finally solved your 612 DVR issue or are you still trying to get them to. Would love to know what anyone did to either get a different DVR or get the 612 software issue fixed.. Thanks for taking the time to read this rambling of mine. It just frustrates me because I have been a customer of Dish for over 12 years and they treat us like crap. I even had one tech guy switch me over to the Spanish channel on the phone when I asked to speak to his supervisor. Cute huh.... Thanks again.. Can't wait to hear what happened.

Hi, I have noticed that alot of people are having problems with their 612 Dvrs like me. I have to reboot mine up to 10 times a day, So pretty much my T.V. watching is controled by what my 612 DVR wants to do that day. I have called Dish Network so many times in the last month I lost count. Their customer service is the worst I have ever come across. The most I have gotten was a 50 dollar credit on my bill. And I know that is only because I bug them so often. I have asked if they don't find a software fix soon will they replace my 612 with a DVR that doesn't freeze up all the time. And they said that the engineers decide that and they aren't going to do that just yet. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you seem to be on issues like this so I really don't know what to say to Dish to get this fixed. I just know that I have read all of your posts on this issue and was wondering has
Dish finally solved your 612 DVR issue or are you still trying to get them to. Would love to know what anyone did to either get a different DVR or get the 612 software issue fixed.. Thanks for taking the time to read this rambling of mine. It just frustrates me because I have been a customer of Dish for over 12 years and they treat us like crap. I even had one tech guy switch me over to the Spanish channel on the phone when I asked to speak to his supervisor. Cute huh.... Thanks again.. Can't wait to hear what happened.
Send an email to ceo at echostar dot com and tell this story to them.

I explored this issue since receiving (2) 612's back in February and have used Component video to handle all signals with them since then. And since we can't expect 1080p signals from any service provider anytime soon, component will be just fine for me! I still keep in contact with Dish regularly and have also received their stock "our engineers our working on it" answer, but have otherwise been unable to get any other information out of them. I hope to speak directly with someone in their engineering department , but realistically isn't likely as they probably don't want to leak any information that might end up in the hands of their competitors.

Melony, just as romans8:28 stated, if the input is available on your HDTV, use the 612's component video output and your problem will go away!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)