When Will Dish Give Us Network Hdtv??

Ota Hd Locals

When I said put up an antenna, I mean a REAL ANTENNA not and amplified coat hanger like the Wineagard Sensar Batwing or the crap shooter ( square shooter). I have an older Winegard HD7078 standard conventional tv antenna and get all my locals in Digital from Chicago 60 miles away. Yes I need an amplifier and a large antenna but I put some effort and money into it and I did it!!!

Attachments

• P1010062.JPG
    P1010062.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 230
Wow, 95 percent, where does that number come from (source please). I can get CBS OTA, the rest aren't broadcasting HD yet...and won't for another year. Last I checked we are in the 101st DMA. When the are up and running, I will get 2-3 OTA HD channels at the very most. Waste of bandwidth??? Putting up HD LiL in locations that already can get them OTA is a waste of bandwidth IMO.

dodge said:
When I said put up an antenna, I mean a REAL ANTENNA not and amplified coat hanger like the Wineagard Sensar Batwing or the crap shooter ( square shooter). I have an older Winegard HD7078 standard conventional tv antenna and get all my locals in Digital from Chicago 60 miles away. Yes I need an amplifier and a large antenna but I put some effort and money into it and I did it!!!

Well, I wasn't going to single you out even though my first post was in response to your previous post but now you've made it obvious you're exactly the type I was refering to.
What gives you the right to assume me or any of us are using "amplified coathangers". I spent close to $600 recently to have a rooftop antenna, rotor and pre-amp professionally installed and I'm sure many others in this group have spent a lot also in their effort to get OTA HD.

My 2 story house is already at 800 feet a.s.l., so my antenna is right up there. It did not add one station to my line up. I still only get the same 2 stations I can get with a Silver Sensor sitting on my living room shelf. One is PBS HD and it comes in great. The other is a local NBC affiliate that hasn't learned how to turn on their switch yet, so everything's upconverted SD. Both stations come from the same mountain 45 miles away. That's it - there are no others.

My point is I live in Vt. (that's between NH and NY, just below Canada) and like many people all over the rural areas of this country, we don't have much for OTA options - no matter how friggin much we spend on and antenna.

Sorry I came down on you so hard but those posts of yours appeared a bit condecending from where I'm sittin.

dodge said:
Having lived in the midwest and now the leftt coast I am offended by your statements.
You happen to live in the flatlands of the country wheras many of us now live in areas where the topography isn't quite so beneficial for receiving television transmissions.
I live 43 miles north of San Francisco and happen to have a mountain (Tamalpais) between me and Sutro Tower where most stations have their transmitters.
If it weren't for the topography, I too would have no trouble getting OTA signals from most of the major networks.
I bit the bullet and added Comcast cable basic and their HD receiver so that I could get the locals in HD.
I would expect that your 95% number is WAY off. Do you have any data to back that up?

BTW, there is one station that is 103 miles away which I get occasionally OTA but its direction is almost totally over water to the south. SO, IMHO, it isn't so much the distance but the terrain.

I hope I haven't offended you as much as you have offended me and others, many others, who can't get OTA HD reception. :mad:

Agree completely! I went from perfect reception (all in the 90%s) when I lived at the top of a hill (I was even getting San Francisco stations about 100 miles away!) to 0.0% reception when I moved (a valley surrounded by pine trees) And the distance to my stations are pretty much the same. :no . So, I had to resource to ExpressVu to get HD again.
it's just funny that we now seem to be going "back in time" and do things that our grandparents used to do to get good TV reception (i.e., put up a roof top antenna, etc). With the advent of cable tV and satellite I thought those kinds of antenna were museum pieces!!! :eek: So, IMO, HD at this point is really not for everyone!

Grandude said:
Having lived in the midwest and now the leftt coast I am offended by your statements.
You happen to live in the flatlands of the country wheras many of us now live in areas where the topography isn't quite so beneficial for receiving television transmissions.
I live 43 miles north of San Francisco and happen to have a mountain (Tamalpais) between me and Sutro Tower where most stations have their transmitters.
If it weren't for the topography, I too would have no trouble getting OTA signals from most of the major networks.
I bit the bullet and added Comcast cable basic and their HD receiver so that I could get the locals in HD.
I would expect that your 95% number is WAY off. Do you have any data to back that up?

BTW, there is one station that is 103 miles away which I get occasionally OTA but its direction is almost totally over water to the south. SO, IMHO, it isn't so much the distance but the terrain.

I hope I haven't offended you as much as you have offended me and others, many others, who can't get OTA HD reception. :mad:

Okay, try this if you want to see if you can get local OTA's. A channel master 4228 (an 8 bow tie antenna, big square thing looks nothing like your typical tv antenna) with a ChannelMaster 7778 preamp (mast mounted). This is a UHF antenna but almost all DTV stations are in the UHF range. I live in west Texas and there are no tv stations anywhere close to me (except one). With this setup mounted on my roof on 25' mast I am able to get stations all the time about 50 miles from me. Sometimes, during the winter mainly ( Idon't know if this is because of the leaveless trees or what) I can get stations as far as 100 miles from me. Anyway this may help you out some. Don't use one of the big VHF antennas, that will not help much with DTV. Now, with this whole setup which I have which works pretty well, I am unabel to get any HDTV broadcasts because the DTV broadcasts i get are not in HD, except during the winter which i can sometimes get one or two but these are in and out and not really good enough to watch. So in my area with the greatest antennas and high mast etc. I can't get local HDTV. So i wish the stations would either be forced to broadcast in HD (not just DTV) or they should allow me to get NBC, etc over the satellite. Which if this was the case i am sure dish network would provide all three stations in HD.

Network Hdtv On Dish Chances??

My original question was in regards to Network HDTV on DISH...not local HD. I couldn't care less about locals in HD. They don't originate that much broadcasting in HD. The prime time HD shows are all Network....

But I guess I got my answer. My chances on DISH seem to be slim....and none....

Glad I have OTA for now.

Tvlman said:
My original question was in regards to Network HDTV on DISH...not local HD. I couldn't care less about locals in HD. They don't originate that much broadcasting in HD. The prime time HD shows are all Network....
You are aware that the network HD goes through local, mostly independantly owned, stations to get to your TV, right? So, when people refer to local HD, they usually are referring to network HD from local stations.

In the case of distant network HD, of which Dish only has CBS (versus ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox on DirecTV), they can only provide it to subs who live in areas served by network owned and operated (O&O) stations. Otherwise, you need to get permission from your local network affiliate to receive distant network HD from your satellite provider.

Sadly, each network only owns about 15 or 16 local stations, and not necessarily in the same markets. For instance, only 3 of the 4 are network O&O in my area. I would need a waiver for Fox. Luckily, as a Comcast customer, I receive all 4 local nets plus PBS (plus local sports net) in HD.

Ota Hd

The Syntax Olevia is a great tv for the buck, $1499, I have one and so do 3 of my buddies, yes it is true, many stations do not or will not broadcast in HD for awhile, I have replaced quite a few winegard sensars that were installed by dtv and did not work or failed, and replaced them with either a Standard radio shack VU 190 or a winegard 7084 hd depending on how much the customer wanted to spend. I have used these and pulled in stions from almost 80 miles away, chicago stations in Rochelle and Dixon Illinois.

For the time being now ota hd is the way to go, DTV local hd ny looks so soft. They should give every viewer with an hd capable receiver a network feed from ny or la and quit screwing around, but due to the crappy government we have many people cannot get these signals due to politics.

If one of the questions is when will Dish be providing HD locals to rural areas, in smaller DMAs, then it could be a while. I would guess 2 years as a minimum and could be 3 or 4 years. Too expensive to do right now, combined with too little demand.

Eventually as more and more people demand HD locals, as they do now for SD locals, and with more efficient technology, such as mpeg-4, the cost per sub will drop substantially.

But anyone sitting in say DMA #101, hoping to Dish offering HD locals within a year, is going to be sorely disappointed. You might have a chance if you are in a top 10 or 20 DMA, but I wouldn't take that bet either.

GaryPen said:
Don't sweat it too much. The guy's HDTV is a Syntax Olevia, the Kia of LCD HDTV's.

This is supposed to be a friendly forum not an AVS clone. Diss'in another member's DTV hardware is not conducive to maintaining that friendly atmosphere, it is just arrogance.

Carl B said:
This is supposed to be a friendly forum not an AVS clone. Diss'in another member's DTV hardware is not conducive to maintaining that friendly atmosphere, it is just arrogance.
Gary thinks he's being funny. He doesn't realize it comes off as mean.

Carl B said:

Sorry for straying from the topic of this thread but my feeling is that the arrogance tone has been set by some of the Staff Members here in posts and in some of the Chat room discussion during recent Charlie and Tech Chats. That and the occasional excessive self promotion really detracts from this forum.

Now back to the topic at hand. It needs to be recognized that even with MPEG-4, it is estimated that only about 6 HD channels per satellite transponder (TP) will be possible compared to the current 12 SD channels/TP so Dish will need a great deal more satellite capacity to provide HD locals. One area that Dish has excelled at especially in the past year is acquiring access to significantly more satellite bandwidth. These include the pending R-1 acquisition, 29 TPs at 157 W, the leasing of all the FSS-Ku band at 118.7 W, possible use of DBS TPs at 77 W and at least 16 DBS TPs at 129 W. They also have acquired licenses for Ka and extended Ku band at several other orbital slots. Yes, they need to build more satellites but that takes time.

Carl and Mdonnely-
I meant to be mean. If somebody disses somebody else (insults them, for the aged and/or white folks), I have no second thoughts about posting an appropriate response. The guy insulted a number of members' technical acumen, while proudly displaying his choice of low-end LCD TV. I offer no apologies.

If I had meant to be funny, it would have been funny.

GaryPen said:
Carl and Mdonnely-
I meant to be mean. If somebody disses somebody else (insults them, for the aged and/or white folks), I have no second thoughts about posting an appropriate response. The guy insulted a number of members' technical acumen, while proudly displaying his choice of low-end LCD TV. I offer no apologies.

goodjob.gif

GaryPen said:
Carl and Mdonnely-

I agree, Dodge was way off base with the 95% claim. That's what should be challenged, not his choice of monitors. Like the antenna, it works for him.

And Dodge, if the whole country had flat terrain like Chicago, OTA reception wouldn't be a problem, even with an amplified coat hanger.

Well said Waltinvt, I live near Denver which also has the problem that there are no high power Digital HD transmissions in this area. There has been a 10yr long effort to bring HD broadcast to the Denver metro area but the effort has been blocked in the courts (see hdtvcolorado web site ). What's ironic, is that Echostar is based in the Denver area.

dodge said:
Dont hold your breath waiting for HD locals from Dish 95% of the population can get them OTA, put up an antenna and get them for free!!!!
Jeez, Dodge, not everybody lives on the friggin' plains! We've got big ol' hills out here in Californey...I can't even get FM reception on my clock radio! There's also the little issue of Homeowner Association CC&R's that would block me putting up a 500 foot mast.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)