when will the 6 tuner hopper come out? I hope "SOON" for real.

Maybe "cumbersome" was a poor word choice. What I really meant by cumbersome is having to spend time checking for conflicts (tuner, hard drive space, multiple copies of the the same program being recorded) rather than setting it up once and automatically resolving these issues.

While that is true, having multiple Hoppers pretty much takes care of the copies of programs being recorded, since there is twice the space anyway. Most people with the needs for so many tuners have a family of users. Having a single DVR might be slightly easier for a single person using 5+ tuners, however most of the times there are multiple users with multiple TVs using those tuners. So it doesn't matter so much about checking every single Hopper for duplicates unless you're really pressed for tuners and want to borrow someone else's tuners from their TV or their HDD space.

However you have a point, automatic management IS easier, but personally, with a family of power users here (I taught everyone :D ,) the way it is now is preferable. More control, slightly more effort, but in the end worth it rather than doing it automatically the way Dish thinks is "best."

Wait... I'm a little confused.

Right now with the current software, if you have two Hoppers, can you play recorded programs from one hopper on the other hopper WITHOUT using a Joey?

sofakng said:

Right now with the current software, if you have two Hoppers, can you play recorded programs from one hopper on the other hopper WITHOUT using a Joey?

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wow! How does that work? Do all recordings just magically show up on both Hoppers, or do you need to "switch" what you're looking at?

sofakng said:
Wow! How does that work? Do all recordings just magically show up on both Hoppers, or do you need to "switch" what you're looking at?

You need to switch. Dvr. Arrow right. Select. And pick the other hopper name from the drop down list.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Maybe I am liking the idea of a 6-tuner Hopper after all. That way, everyone complaining about "integration" can just get the 6-tuner Hopper, and have a (better) alternative to HR34-type WHDVR. Then, I could keep my "old" Hoppers and have it the way I like it. For me, it's far from cumbersome, and the menu setup isn't that hard to learn. Chances are, those that couldn't figure out this "cumbersome" way to do things aren't likely to care about "integration" either.

Another thing to consider, is the fact that Hopper has the same old "96 timer / 576 event" limit that the older receivers had. That means that having more Hoppers allows for more timers. This is crucial for my household. If this supposed 6-tuner Hopper were to come out, and still have the same limits, I can already see a lot of people complaining about it.

I think I like the 6 tuner Hopper idea.
Can I trade my 3 tuner Hoppers for TWO 6 tuner Hoppers, will they have TWO internal hard drives in each one to double the recording space?

In order to use a 6 tuner hopper , they are going to have to come out with a node that can use three sat runs and turn it into 6 sat tuners. The single node can be used with 2 sat runs and turn it into 3 sat tuners. The double node can turn three sat runs into 6 sat tuners. So a new node that can turn three sat runs into 6 sat tuners has to be invented.

In order to use a 6 tuner hopper , they are going to have to come out with a node that can use three sat runs and turn it into 6 sat tuners. The single node can be used with 2 sat runs and turn it into 3 sat tuners. The double node can turn three sat runs into 6 sat tuners. So a new node that can turn three sat runs into 6 sat tuners has to be invented. Two 6 tuner hoppers on one account would require two sat dish installs , unless they can come out with some kind of switch /node that turns three sat runs into 12 sat tuners.

Either that or two lines will have to be run to the Hopper from the node.

The For 12 tuners you would have to have 2 DPP44s or a DPP44 and a DPP33. As it currently stands though, as far as I am aware Dish won't allow for more than 9 tuners for non-commercial accounts.

Perhaps Hopper is the end of the line for DPP technology. I can see Dish allowing for a single 6-tuner Hopper (if it ever came out) and another 3-tuner Hopper.

Last edited:

You just can't, as I understand it, access Hopper 2's EHD from Hopper 1. Or vice-versa. Yet.

There would be a great cost savings to producing a single 6-tuner box versus two 3-tuner boxes.

There would be a great cost savings to producing a single 6-tuner box versus two 3-tuner boxes.
The problem is that you have to look at it in the context of their whole userbase and not just people who need five or six tuners.

Scott just mentioned that over 80% don't use more than 3 tuners in an HR34. That seems to match Dish's early numbers that very few Hopper customers had more than one.

As long as they maintain those 3 tuner usage numbers, it doesn't seem to make sense supporting a second custom box with different low volume parts that don't meet the needs of the majority of customers. Not to mention software support for a low volume box. Only way a box like that works is if you charge substantially more for it.

Last edited:
sparc is absolutely correct. The cost of building / supporting a 6 tuner model probably isn't worth it.

We're in the minority with multiple hoppers to begin with and the hopper is but a small minority of the installed base.

I just don't see where the value is for dish to produce such a device.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

My family has six TV's w/ 4 HD. A 6-tuner Hopper would be ideal for us. Also, I wish they would make a 6-8 tuner Hopper that can be distributed through the house without having to have a receiver on each TV.

My family has six TV's w/ 4 HD. A 6-tuner Hopper would be ideal for us. Also, I wish they would make a 6-8 tuner Hopper that can be distributed through the house without having to have a receiver on each TV.

2 Hoppers would work just the same, well, almost, could use a Joey to manage all the timers. As for distributing HD without a receiver, not going to happen. You can thank MPAA/RIAA and their buddies for that. Dish has enough lawsuits to last a while.

This has been discussed before. It wouldn't be cost-effective due to the low production numbers.

The problem is that you have to look at it in the context of their whole userbase and not just people who need five or six tuners.

Scott just mentioned that over 80% don't use more than 3 tuners in an HR34. That seems to match Dish's early numbers that very few Hopper customers had more than one.

As long as they maintain those 3 tuner usage numbers, it doesn't seem to make sense supporting a second custom box with different low volume parts that don't meet the needs of the majority of customers. Not to mention software support for a low volume box. Only way a box like that works is if you charge substantially more for it.

sparc is absolutely correct. The cost of building / supporting a 6 tuner model probably isn't worth it.

We're in the minority with multiple hoppers to begin with and the hopper is but a small minority of the installed base.

I just don't see where the value is for dish to produce such a device.
sparc and John get it. :)

This has been discussed before. It wouldn't be cost-effective due to the low production numbers.

sparc and John get it. :)
And if you have been reading the threads here, you would know that Dish has been surprised by the number of dual Hopper requests. A Hopper/Joey system works for a two TV household. Scott found out that a single Hopper doesn't work well with three or more TV's. I still believe that a six-tuner Hopper is in the works.

Voyager,

You're certainly free to believe as you wish. The problem with a 6 tuner receiver, besides the small install base is some potential hardware limitations.

First, you would need more storage and 3 and 4tb drives are still pricey, about 150-250 depending on capacity. Second, you have more vying for thew internal storage.

Now let's go corner case and assume a worst case scenario, 6 simultaneous record streams + a couple of playback streams. 3.5 inch 7200 rpm drives aren't particularly high with their number of iops and this pattern would likely be enough to overwhelm the drive and there simply isn't much memory to use as a queue. All of the contention would throw the drives into a largely random pattern which hard drives are notoriously bad at random IO patterns.

So there are other technical challenges besides the practical aspect of a small installation base. none are insurmountable, but they wouldn't be cheap either.

Cheers,

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts