Where are all the live news channels, not 99w?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
One of the things I like about FTA is being able to catch live news broadcasts during major events. During the gulf spill, I was using 99w a lot as there seem to be a lot of news channels there.

For months however, there is very little going on there so is there another satellite that is more popular for live news?

Thanks.

It comes and goes. 91w seems to have the most feeds of anybody, but is more sports than news sometimes, depending on the day. 74w has news often, but seldom more than a few channels at once it seems. 72w used to be hot but seems to be declining, although it's a safe bet you'll find The Weather Channel reporters there. Sometimes you'll find a pile of feeds on 83w, other times nothing. Likewise 87w. (This is all Ku, by the way.)

I probably have 25 transponders set on the 99 bird. There are still several news feeds on there. That said, many are weaker and most people will need a larger dish to get them. I know of many that can't get the cbs newspath channel, but for me it is no problem. Keep scanning. The newspath freq. is 11786 V sr 3978. It is always there everytime I go to that bird. Have a great day!

I'm thinking of going with a 39" dish for this setup because I want to have multiple LNB's on it without motor.

The motor setup I have right now is 36" and keep it mostly on 97W. Even a little wind seems to take it out and I have to mess with the motor each time. Worse, the signal is only between two clicks (motor position) so it's very easy to lose (and even harder to find).

I should post asking if someone has a used 39" locally. I see some on ebay for $100.00 but don't like the looks of the LNB bracket since I want to use multiples.

Last edited:
I probably have 25 transponders set on the 99 bird. There are still several news feeds on there. That said, many are weaker and most people will need a larger dish to get them. I know of many that can't get the cbs newspath channel, but for me it is no problem. Keep scanning. The newspath freq. is 11786 V sr 3978. It is always there everytime I go to that bird. Have a great day!

Do you think a 39" would have a better chance than the 36" I have? It would not be motored either.

I have a 39" and I haven't seen Newspath in months for some reason, and most of the other feeds are marginal for me too. But I haven't looked at the satellite footprint, maybe I'm not in one of the stronger areas.

I've not seen any larger roof mount dishes than the 1M so far but I figured even just a bit larger should help. Probably not by much though from what I'm hearing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts