Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

I hear you about the "screaming 12 year olds" - one of my pet peeves. I'm surprised with all the recent scrutiny into violent video games that something wasn't attempted to better enforce the "M-17" rating.
First thing I do before any game is either Mute everyone or turn down my headset volume. I've never had to deal with a lot of jerks or annoying people online surprisingly. Even with volume up I often find that most people just don't talk. I miss the old days when most people would actually strategize over chat, but that may have been before the introduction of party chat.

Maybe I just need more friends... now I'm depressed.. :(

I'm currently wrapping up my hard difficulty/no alarms/no kills run through Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I actually bought this game for $10 two months before it was offered free to Plus members this month, but I certainly don't mind throwing a few coins at such an excellent game (I also bought all the DLC on sale and enjoyed The Missing Link quite a bit). By the way, it was announced yesterday that the Director's Cut version that was created for the Wii U is being ported to PC/360/PS3 sometime this fall, though I doubt I'll be double dipping.

Next, I'm having trouble deciding between Borderlands 2, which I bought three months ago, and XCOM, one of the new free games for Plus. I've never played a pure strategy game before, but I hear good things about XCOM and alien invasion stuff is right up my alley in terms of subject matter. I actually tried the demo last weekend, and it seems fairly straightforward, but I know it ramps up in difficulty and complexity quite a bit, even on easy and normal difficulty settings.

EDIT: but all of the above best laid plans could change tomorrow if tomorrow's Fry's ad offers a good deal on The Last of Us. Once in a great while they'll offer a new release game for $50 the week it comes out, but I'm not holding my breath--though regardless, I'll be driving by my Fry's Saturday morning for an appointment, so who knows? lol

XCOM is actually one of the games I'm playing right now. I got it from Gamefly a week or 2 ago and I'm probably 5 or 6 hours in. I'm having a good time with it. The resource management is fun and even though there isn't a ton of story you actually get attached to your crew thanks to permadeath. It sucks to level up a character for 4 hours and then lose him in battle so it makes you be that much more careful with your strategy.

I didn't even know it was a PS Plus game right now. Thanks for the heads up. I'm downloading it right now so I can send it back to Gamefly and get something else. I'm also downloading Dues Ex and I "bought" Uncharted 3 and LittleBigPlanet Karting as free games too but I don't need to download those.

Yes. Sadly XCom is another one of my games just collecting digital dust in my Steam Library.. But hell, $14 was too good of a deal to pass up..

And don't forget, we're all less than a month away from the annual Steam 4th of July sale..

I'm going to be in Northern Ontario completely isolated from technology and the outside world from the 2nd to the 9th on a fly in fishing trip. The only way in or out from the lake is on a little plane with pontoons that only takes 4 of us in at a time. This is a yearly trip we take and our group usually has 8 or 9 people so it takes a couple flights to get all of us and our gear in and out.

I love this trip but it is going to force me to miss the Steam 4th of July sale. This is my first summer with a gaming PC and I'm going to miss the legendary summer sale. I know it seems crazy but I'm actually considering giving my steam login information and a list of games to my sister who doesn't know a thing about games and telling her to buy any of them that are part of the sale. It would be more helpful if I had a family member who knew games well enough that I could trust them to just buy anything that looks like a good deal on a good game. Even if I ended up with a couple duplicates I could just give away the steam codes.

Last edited:
Well just finished Shank in one sitting. Guess that means I liked it. It took me about three hours. I know there are a lot of great indie games out there but I can't believe I never heard of this one until today. It is nothing truly special or groundbreaking but it was fun.

I loved the art style. It basically looks like an episode of the Venter Bros. which is an Adult Swim show that I loved but the tone is more like a Kill Bill revenge story. This is your standard, old school style, side scrolling beat-em up game. There is actually quite a bit of depth to the combat and like I said it was fun enough for me to play the entire 3 hour campaign in one sitting.

I got both Shank and Shank 2 for only $2 in the humble bundle I linked in the deals thread. If you have a PC it's worth checking out. After looking at the specs it seems like even a pretty modest PC should be able to handle it but they do recommend playing with a gamepad. I used a 360 controller. If you want to check it out but aren't interested in PC gaming, I think it is available on PSN and XBLA as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just finished The Walking Dead: 400 Days DLC. It took just under an hour and a half. During that time you will play out 5 separate, but somewhat intertwined stories. Because you aren't given enough time with any of the new characters to really get to know them the story isn't nearly as emotionally gripping as the base game. It is still a pretty well told story and at $5 it's worth it for anyone who wants to get the complete Walking Dead experience.

I only wish I had played the base game on PC instead of PS3. There are subtle nods to choices you made in the original game in this DLC. Choices from season one and this DLC will then carry over into season 2. This means you will want to play through the entire series on the same platform. I had planned to sell my PS3 this fall before the new systems come out but if I want my choices to carry over into season 2 I need to keep it. This may be true if future seasons come out down the road into the next console generation as well but those of us who played on consoles will have no option to keep our save files on the new hardware.

Thanks for confirming the length of TWD DLC. As much as I enjoyed the core game, $5 is just too much for 90 minutes of content for me. I realize you can replay and make different decisions and get more value from it. But from my experience with the first game, making different decisions really doesn't change the game's outcome all that much — just some bits of dialogue here and there and a character surviving for one more scene.

I just finished week 2 in Borderlands 2. This seems to go on forever. I'm definitely liking it more than the first (not to take anything away from the first installment). The developers made a ton of gameplay improvements, and it's great to see the first game's vault hunters as NPCs central to the main story. Not sure about the DLC, however. I hear a lot of mixed things about it, and that a different developer actually is behind it. :(

Finally played and finished Dishonored over the last couple weeks. I feel like it's been quite a while since I have played a bad game. In some ways the gameplay is similar to Bioshock. Your right hand holds your sword while your left is out for powers, a gun, or crossbow. The best thing about this game is the varied approaches you can take for the same mission. In that way this is very different than Bioshock. You can actually beat the game without killing anyone.

You can go in guns blazing or take the stealthier approach. I preferred the latter for most of my play through, but it actually goes even deeper than that. Just playing strictly stealth there are multiple options. Depending on the powers you upgraded you can use blink to move around rooftops or possess a rat to go through a drain. In one level you enter a masquerade party. I have already played this mission twice. Once I snuck up stairs and looked for clues. The second time I simply talked to guests at the party to find out what I needed to know. There really is a lot of depth here. Your allies and the world both change depending on how you play. So does the ending. There is easily enough variety for multiple play throughs.

The story is decent enough but it's no where near bioshock's level. I have seen this game very cheap lately. I just bought it for $10. If you can find it for a decent price I definitely recommend it, especially if you were in to the Bioshock games.

Edit: I wanted to add my playtime because that is something I like to know before buying a game. According to Steam, my play through took about 18 hours. This is a nice beefy campaign. However, I did take my time and play through most of the missions stealthily. I also completed many of the optional missions because most of them really help you on your main mission. I'm sure if your went through guns blazing you could finish it much faster. I am very tempted to start a second play through right away and try to get the achievement for not killing anyone too. I just don't know if I will have the time.

Last edited:
Started playing Prototype 2 again lately, among a smattering of other titles. Might be one of my favorite franchises ever, only so many games can you sit back and do what you can do in it, and roam an open world to boot. It's really a good game.

Started playing Prototype 2 again lately, among a smattering of other titles. Might be one of my favorite franchises ever, only so many games can you sit back and do what you can do in it, and roam an open world to boot. It's really a good game.

I bought Prototype 1 and 2 during the Steam summer sale but haven't started either of them yet. If they are anything like Infamous I'm sure I will like them.

They're like inFamous, but without as many restrictions. With inFamous you're reasonably restricted as a guy w/ electrical abilities. With Prototype the world is much more open to you because your abilities are relatively more powerful. It's just so satisfying to grow and explore and the action/combat is fun. Lately even without time to binge I just hop on for a couple missions and head to bed with a smile on my face.

That being said, inFamous is still probably one of my favorite franchise of this past generations.

I bought Prototype 1 and 2 during the Steam summer sale but haven't started either of them yet. If they are anything like Infamous I'm sure I will like them.

I've always said that the inFamous games are better in terms of overall games with structure, characters, world, etc.. BUT Prototype games are just more fun to play. The action is just SO off the wall and satisfying. It's a lot of fun to have superhero powers without having to really be a super hero. There's some sick joy to be had in grabbing a guy, slamming him to the ground, and crushing his head with your foot as you suck up his life.

Here's a pretty accurate comparison of the two games. NSFW due to language:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/789-Prototype

Sounds like my kind of game. I'll play them someday. The backlog is getting out of hand.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sounds like my kind of game. I'll play them someday. The backlog is getting out of hand.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Please... I saw your games list on Steam.. look at mine if you want a real idea of backlog.. ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)