Atari comeback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I am sure most of you have seen some of the articles of the Atari "comeback" that may be happening, any thoughts or guesses on what it might be. Retro console, or a new entry into the video game market?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I am sure most of you have seen some of the articles of the Atari "comeback" that may be happening, any thoughts or guesses on what it might be. Retro console, or a new entry into the video game market?

I've only heard a quick mention of it on a podcast. I highly doubt they are going to come in with a new console and try to compete with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and the various PC storefronts. The market is just too crowded for another console to come in unless someone else exits.

I think they saw how much demand there was for the NES Classic and they are going to make the Atari version of that.

Reactions: KE4EST
I've only heard a quick mention of it on a podcast. I highly doubt they are going to come in with a new console and try to compete with Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and the various PC storefronts. The market is just too crowded for another console to come in unless someone else exits.

I think they saw how much demand there was for the NES Classic and they are going to make the Atari version of that.
I don't think they can really go for that since so many of those exist and because they'd lose access to a number of classics unless they can somehow convince Activision to license all their games. Apparently it's going to use PC based components. I'll wait until I hear more about it before I pass judgement. I mean it can't be a modern console because there's no way they'd be able to enter against Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo, but to just make a dozens in 1 console isn't going to do very well either IMO since those are easily accessible, unless they just plan to make a much better version of that.

Maybe a larger version of the flashback

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Maybe a larger version of the flashback

Maybe but that may not do well either. The thing that made the NES Classic work so well was that there was literally nothing like it from Nintendo before. Yeah they had the Virtual Console but a little Nintendo box was brand new and it was a simple $60 way to play a bunch of generally very good NES games that mostly hold up to today's games. But Atari 2600 games have been sold in stand alone consoles already, and let's face it, the VAST majority of those games don't hold up well anymore. Any nostalgia that is to be gained from playing those games will likely die within a few hours. I mean at least the NES Classic had single player games that took hours to complete. How many games could a single player realistically expect to play from the 2600 for more than a few MINUTES?

Maybe but that may not do well either. The thing that made the NES Classic work so well was that there was literally nothing like it from Nintendo before. Yeah they had the Virtual Console but a little Nintendo box was brand new and it was a simple $60 way to play a bunch of generally very good NES games that mostly hold up to today's games. But Atari 2600 games have been sold in stand alone consoles already, and let's face it, the VAST majority of those games don't hold up well anymore. Any nostalgia that is to be gained from playing those games will likely die within a few hours. I mean at least the NES Classic had single player games that took hours to complete. How many games could a single player realistically expect to play from the 2600 for more than a few MINUTES?

I'd say that no matter what this new box is it's more likely to not do well than to be a big success. An actual new console isn't going to make it with all the competition that exists right now. An Atari version of the NES Classic has it's own problems but it seems the most likely to me.

On this week's Giant Bombcast they speculated that it might be a mass produced Linux based PC with an Atari storefront like the Steam Box. Jeff Gerstmann said he was hearing that there would be specific hooks that needed to be developed for to run on this box. The actual Steam Box wasn't really a raging success so I'm not sure why they would want to copy that though. Also, why would developers want to make yet another version of their game to sell in the Atari store when they can just publish to Steam?

None of the theories have I heard make it sound like anything that is going to set the world on fire.

We have a local store in the area that sells intellivision, Atari and such, brings back fun memories and makes you think back how far games have come. When I fire up my PS1 every now and then my son laughs at the graphics of that system

We have a local store in the area that sells intellivision, Atari and such, brings back fun memories and makes you think back how far games have come. When I fire up my PS1 every now and then my son laughs at the graphics of that system
I modded a Flashback 2 to use cartridges, so my son could see the games I had as a kid.

He patted my shoulder and told me he felt bad that I had such a deprived childhood.

:D

I modded a Flashback 2 to use cartridges, so my son could see the games I had as a kid.

He patted my shoulder and told me he felt bad that I had such a deprived childhood.

Yeah I went way back and picked up a Flashback and showed my kid what sports games looked like then as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)