Atari turns 40

You can play Centipede for free online at their website today.
Atari - Centipede

Also, APPARENTLY there's a deal to get a bunch of games for free on their mobile app, but I can't really confirm at the moment. Check out their homepage for more info.

on the ipad if jailbroken the atari emulator works well the last time i used it and there are plenty of free roms (games).i'm currently running NES and SEGA emulators. sorry to go off topic :eek:

I miss playing my 2600.

Sent from my DROID2 using SatelliteGuys

I wore my 2600 joysticks out.Had a blast playing some of those games.

We never had an Atari. My Mom worked at Lazarus (now Macy's) and they sold the Magnavox Odyssey2, not Atari hardware. With her discount, this was good enough... :D I still remember the membrane-style keyboard ! Hardly had any use for it, of course (the keyboard, that is).

These guys have kind of gotten lost over the years but so much innovation of the early days came from this company and its early employees. They were amazing.....
Regrettably, they wasted a lot of effort trying to catch up to Commodore once the C64 came on the scene. Commodore managed to steal some of the better people; most notably, Jay Miner.

If you have an iPad or android you can download their greatest hits app today and get nearly every game for free TODAY. The catch is that if you reinstall the app, you lose all the games. Still, not a bad deal. Get it from your devices' store.

I remember when we had an Atari 2600. We had tons of games for it, even a few Star Wars ones. :)

I had the 2600 for about a year. It was weird because as far as I remember, it seemed to just "appear" in our house one day. I don't remember my parents buying it for me or anything like that. It just seemed like one day it was in the house. It was okay, but really it was my Nintendo that I got that started my love for videogames, and I'm sure that if given the opportunity to go back, my parents would NEVER have purchased it for me for Xmas..

i had the 2600 for awhile until the 7800 came out. got the coleco after i sold the 2600.

here's a pic of the 7800

a273.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)