Founder of Atari forecasts PS3 failure

Bushnell is the guy that doomed ATARI. He had the market going then when he brought out the Jaguar he did not try to get third party support. He made several bluders and basically helped ATARI out of the console business. As a matter of fact ATARI is about dead as a company so I am going to listen to him? Please!

:rolleyes: Joe, now you just hit your new low... :rolleyes:

You didn't like the message, so you're attacking the messenger? Tsk, tsk, tsk - it's probably the most primitive reaction...

BTW as usually you are wrong *again*: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell#Atari

Last edited:
Bushnell was gone many years before the Jaguar - He sold Atari to Warner Bros. in the late 70' or early 80's. The Tramiel family owned Atari in the ST and Jaguar days. There was also a fair amount of third party support for the Jaguar, but not as much as we would all have liked. What was missing was a good marketing program. Writing Breakout 2000 for the Jaguar was the most fun I ever had on a contract programming project.

Mario

Wow, I missed this one. :) Great post. :cool:

Last edited:
I purchased a 6ft. HDMI to DVI connector for $19.99 at Sam's (the HDMI only cable was the same price). It was very good quality. Now add that to the $499 PS3 and you have $519.98 with a 20gb hd and a BluRay HD player.

Now lets see who posted their Xbox360 purchases:

BrianMis $449.97
KorSijs $449.96
Posty-McPost $339.00 (he receive a $100 rebate - a great deal)
Mikley28 $489.23

If we take Posty-Mcpost out of the equation because of the great $100 rebate (are they still doing that Posty-McPost?) most did not get that rebate, you get an average of $463.

Now compare to my above suggested purchase of $520 vs $463 and you have a differance of $57.00! And with that you get BluRay Drive, HDMI 1.3, 20GB HD, wireless controller, internet browser included with media streaming, Dolby TrueHD decoding, next gen graphics and gameplay -- same as the Xbox360 premium unit without the HD-DVD drive. (We can't add the HD-DVD drive because that would simply not be fair would it?)

So----- lets see, $57.00 more is TOO MUCH MONEY? You guys have lost your ficking minds. You are arguing over $57.00 DOLLARS? Have you all lost your senses.

Lets just call this Sony bashing. For that $499 price tag you are getting alot of machine and to match that with the Xbox360 you would have to include the HD-DVD drive which would make the 360 $142.00 more money then the $499.00 price of the PS3 20gb system (with a HDMI cable purchase). But as you guys say, you are not being forced to buy the HD-DVD drive -- just spend more money then a PS3 owner to aquire the same functions (except M$ has already said there will be no game play from the HD-DVD drive) if you want them. Anyone purchase a M$ HD-DVD drive yet?

Nobody is making you purchase the $599 with the 60gb hard drive, wireless ethernet, SD and other memory card inputs. You only have to purchase the $499 unit to get the same deal as the Premium Xbox360 and the add-ons you guys purchased. Here, as the consumer you have a choice between the PS3 and the Xbox360 and for only $57.00 more!

But, you want to moan and groan about $57.00 DOLLARS! Posty-McPost is the only one who has posted a rebate on his purchase. He got a great deal but how did the rest of you do? If $57.00 more is your idea of too much for a console then your piggy bank must be busted!! How did you guys ever buy any games?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. A man (Bushnell) who owns a pizza franchise ( a company that has not done well lately) and got out of the video gaming business because he saw no future in it is someone you want to listen to?:confused:

I'm not going to moan about the price, I could actually care less about the price. I'm just not a Sony fan, never have been. There isn't one piece of Sony electronic equipment in my house. I've never owned a PS2, and went through 4 PS1's before I got one that worked. I also had problems with a Sony computer monitor years ago that took forever to get resolved.

Now I'm not going to get into a Sony bashing rant, and I'm not putting Sony down. I choose not to buy Sony equipment, it's just a personal preference.

Let me get this straight. A man (Bushnell) who owns a pizza franchise ( a company that has not done well lately) and got out of the video gaming business because he saw no future in it is someone you want to listen to?:confused:

He started chuck e cheese up as kinda part of atari but it was spun off. he no longer owns it. His startup is Uwink...I think it's mostly those games you might see in bars...

He used to own/live in the Folder house in California...you know Foldgers coffee ? it was that guys house.

Anyway much of the gaming industry works in the razor blade theory. You sell the product at cost or below cost to make up in the other part (games). You do NOT make money selling systems...you make it making the games. Moreover there has to be an established ratio that sony knows of how many of ITS games (not a 3rd party...although they get a fee from it) to sell before it's profitable.

personally I think sony really made ps 3 way too powerful and it's distracting itself from other things. The battery problem with laptops makes me think twice about this...now I'm not saying these things will explode but anyone remember the Texas Instruments 99/4a back in the day? They forgot to have UL look at the wires and the AC adaptor was improperly shielded...yielding potentially LETHAL electrical shocks!! :eek:

The only killer app I see on the PS 3 is GTA 4 and that comes out....next year...AND it comes out also on the xbox 360 which is already cheaper now and will most likely be cheaper next year and have more games.

Also to remember is that these newer systems (360, ps 3, wii) are also trying to step up to HDTV...this can be tricky as I don't think everyone will fully be upgraded for a few more years. Hasbro tried something like this with the NEMO back in the mid 80's...it was a VCR based system but when they added up the fact that format wars with beta was still going on and they were about $300 that the market wasn't there...

your right, it was a rumor I guess, but the Ps3 comes with a standard one year warrenty, so they are really starting to combat microsoft! I think people should add that into their Hardware costs to be fair as I had to pay 30 bucks for a year warrenty, and its included with the sony! by the way I still stand by my post of Joe should have deleted his, it got ugly quick! :)

Damn! Now I wish I would've bought your 360 when you had it for sale last year. LOL

On a positive, aren't you glad you kept it instead?

In the seventies Bushnell might of been visonary but not now. Everyone has their opions and that is all it is. Nothing Bushnell says anymore has any affect in the video gaming industry. He is old news.

Thank-you BrianMis for your honesty. If I had the same experiance as you I might feel the same way towards Sony. However, as a boy my first transistor radio was a Sony and I fondly remember listening to the World Series many years on that radio. I owned a Sony tv that lasted over 10 years before I stepped up. The PS1 that I purchased is still working (my son-in-law has it). My PS2 has never given me any problems.

The only bad purchase from Sony is a HDTV I purchased in 2001. Sony tried using their own CRTs and the phosphorus would not stay put. The service shop wanted to change the CRTs over to Panasonic -- and they did -- but I had purchased the Sony from a Specialty Retailier who allowed exchanges for upgrades. I upgraded to a Pioneer 58" Elite DVI HDTV. I have been very happy with that exchange.

Mdovell, your analogy with Texas Instruments does bring up the Sony Battery problems. Sony should of recalled that product as soon as they found out they had a problem and not doing so is costing them plenty of business. However, it does not apply to the PS3. Many reports on the PS3 coming out now say it is quiet, it does what it is supposed to do and it does not melt down. So I think a PS3 purchase does not mean your house is going to burn down or blow up.:)

I won't buy a PS3 because of that creepy baby-doll commercial they have! :) Actually I have had numerous SONY experiences like BrianMis and for that reason, I will not buy a PS3 (don't have a PS2). I also don't have a 360. I had an xbox and gave it away before the 360 came out.

As for the price, it's irrelevant IMO. Sony is not forcing you to buy it, but if you do, that's the price you pay. Heck they gotta recoup the crazy cost involved in all the delays and making the product live up to the hype.

One thing to note on the warranty on the PS3 to 360. If you guys buy with a credit card like Amex, check your benefits as many of them will double the manufacture warranty right off the bat! That is how I got my Sony TV replaced 3 times (yeah 3 due to picture tube failures). Sony warranty had run out, but Amex warranty still applied.

Also to remember is that these newer systems (360, ps 3, wii) are also trying to step up to HDTV...this can be tricky as I don't think everyone will fully be upgraded for a few more years.
Nintendo doesn't have any interest in the HD market. The max on the video output is of the Wii is 480p. A lot of people were protesting this decision, but the big N stuck to their guns on this decision in order to keep the system affordable. It is unfortunate, especially considering I have always been supportive of Nintendo's products. The GC hardware even surpassed the abilities of the PS2, but maybe that was the lesson that they "learned." The biggest baddest hardware does not always make for the best sales. Software was why PS2 won the last console war by a long shot, while XBOX and GC were trailing far behind.

Nintendo doesn't have any interest in the HD market. The max on the video output is of the Wii is 480p. A lot of people were protesting this decision, but the big N stuck to their guns on this decision in order to keep the system affordable. It is unfortunate, especially considering I have always been supportive of Nintendo's products. The GC hardware even surpassed the abilities of the PS2, but maybe that was the lesson that they "learned." The biggest baddest hardware does not always make for the best sales. Software was why PS2 won the last console war by a long shot, while XBOX and GC were trailing far behind.

And software will make PS3 win, here is a small list of the PS3 software exclusives on home consoles(not mentionning the ones not announced yet):

Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, God of War, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, Driver, Metal Gear Solid, Virtua Fighter, Spyro, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, The Getaway, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, SOCOM, Onimusha, Crash Nitro Kart, Soul Calibur, Resistance, Lair, Warhawk, MotorStorm, Ridge Racer, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, Unreal Tournament 2007(exc. on consoles), Afrika, Alone in the Dark, Eight Days, Untitled Naughty Dog Game, L.A. Noire, Lemmings.

some of these may show up on another console but that still leaves a lot.

Last edited:
you really really need to revise that ist as turok is for the 360, devil may cry is rumored to be for the 360, and guitar hero is coming to the 360, those are without looking off the top of my head. There will not be alot of exclusives anymore.

you really really need to revise that ist as turok is for the 360, devil may cry is rumored to be for the 360, and guitar hero is coming to the 360, those are without looking off the top of my head. There will not be alot of exclusives anymore.

Devil May Cry 4 is PS3 exclusive, I'll remove Turok and Guitar Hero.

I would put a asterik by DMC, here is my link

http://www.qj.net/Devil-May-Cry-coming-to-the-Xbox-360-/pg/49/aid/69658

and there are many many forums talking about Capcom saying they will be doing Multi console for all their upcoming releases...just poke around, I am not saying this is 100% but as I said earlier there are going to be ALOT less exclusives.

Until announced otherwise for now it's PS3 exclusive like GTA3 and Vice City were. Een if it comes to xbox360 it won't be with the same time as in PS3.

Update: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_4

Devil May Cry 4 (????????4, Devil May Cry 4?) is the second sequel (Devil May Cry 3 being a prequel) to the Capcom horror-action series Devil May Cry which according to Capcom's Hiroyuki Kobayashi will be released for the upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusively.

He started chuck e cheese up as kinda part of atari but it was spun off. he no longer owns it. His startup is Uwink...I think it's mostly those games you might see in bars...

He used to own/live in the Folder house in California...you know Foldgers coffee ? it was that guys house.

Anyway much of the gaming industry works in the razor blade theory. You sell the product at cost or below cost to make up in the other part (games). You do NOT make money selling systems...you make it making the games. Moreover there has to be an established ratio that sony knows of how many of ITS games (not a 3rd party...although they get a fee from it) to sell before it's profitable.

personally I think sony really made ps 3 way too powerful and it's distracting itself from other things. The battery problem with laptops makes me think twice about this...now I'm not saying these things will explode but anyone remember the Texas Instruments 99/4a back in the day? They forgot to have UL look at the wires and the AC adaptor was improperly shielded...yielding potentially LETHAL electrical shocks!! :eek:

The only killer app I see on the PS 3 is GTA 4 and that comes out....next year...AND it comes out also on the xbox 360 which is already cheaper now and will most likely be cheaper next year and have more games.

Also to remember is that these newer systems (360, ps 3, wii) are also trying to step up to HDTV...this can be tricky as I don't think everyone will fully be upgraded for a few more years. Hasbro tried something like this with the NEMO back in the mid 80's...it was a VCR based system but when they added up the fact that format wars with beta was still going on and they were about $300 that the market wasn't there...

The only killer app for the 360 is Gears of War and that came out 1 year after launch

In the seventies Bushnell might of been visonary but not now. Everyone has their opions and that is all it is. Nothing Bushnell says anymore has any affect in the video gaming industry. He is old news.

Thank-you BrianMis for your honesty. If I had the same experiance as you I might feel the same way towards Sony. However, as a boy my first transistor radio was a Sony and I fondly remember listening to the World Series many years on that radio. I owned a Sony tv that lasted over 10 years before I stepped up. The PS1 that I purchased is still working (my son-in-law has it). My PS2 has never given me any problems.

The only bad purchase from Sony is a HDTV I purchased in 2001. Sony tried using their own CRTs and the phosphorus would not stay put. The service shop wanted to change the CRTs over to Panasonic -- and they did -- but I had purchased the Sony from a Specialty Retailier who allowed exchanges for upgrades. I upgraded to a Pioneer 58" Elite DVI HDTV. I have been very happy with that exchange.

Mdovell, your analogy with Texas Instruments does bring up the Sony Battery problems. Sony should of recalled that product as soon as they found out they had a problem and not doing so is costing them plenty of business. However, it does not apply to the PS3. Many reports on the PS3 coming out now say it is quiet, it does what it is supposed to do and it does not melt down. So I think a PS3 purchase does not mean your house is going to burn down or blow up.:)

Take the $499 PS3, add a headset and official PS3 component cables for the people who don't have HDMI inputs on their TVs but want to play games in 1080i. now you are looking at about close to $600 before tax. Nice job in minimizing the point in the lower prices once you challenged everyone who had a 360 and ended up still being lower than the PS3. Apparantly, if you add the headset and component AV cable it will be way more than $57 and more like $117 ($20 for the BT headset IF its compatible and $40 for the component cables.) Again nice job...

I also have had the same experiEnce with Sony products as BrianMIS. From Laptops with many dead pixels, My PS2 which the DVD drive (not to mention the millions of others with dead dvd drives) died and they wanted $100 to fix when you can get a new slim one for $129, my AVR which crackled when you put the volume up more than 25% which they refused to fix because it was 2 days out of warranty. Currently, the only Sony product in my house is my 46" tv which is on its way out to make way for a Samsung 56" 1080p DLP. Apparantly, you have the same experience with your Sony TV as I am having now. Having to mess with the convergence every freakin' day isn't cool!!

So you could also say I don't like Sony and that would be true. I don't like the way they treat the consumers with their arrogance in every market they enter.

Are you high?

Two sentences above you appeared to be able to READ and seemed like youdid catch the point he *founded* Atari and *designed* games, even if you came back with an even more retarded answer than your average low-briainers...

and now you are brainwashed or what?:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts