Where are the affordable LARGE LCD's?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've been waiting for the past year or two on the large (57" or larger) LCD's to become more common and come down in price. What's the hold up?? I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself that still have some old large rear projections. What are we supposed to buy when the old faithfuls die out? I currently have a 57" RPTV, and when it's time to replace it, I definitly don't want to go DOWN in picture size. I strolled around my local Circuit City tonight. They have NO LCD's bigger than 52", and they had two 58" plasmas, but the cost on them are still over $3000.

I know all of the smaller size TV's have come down drastically in the past year or so. What's the hold up on the larger TV's???

off the top of my head:

I do not know much about them but have you looked at the Mitsubishi DLP LCD sets; sizes up to 65" for under $2000; maybe someone here cna give opinion/advice on those sets

Larger LCD panels are more than proportionally more difficult to produce. They are slowly addressing this problem, but progress has slowed. Additionally, the economic downturn has further slowed progress. SED failed to reach market (wouldn't likely have been as cheap as LCD anyway), but OLED is making big strides. Might see a 40" plus in 2011 or so. Maybe MEMS will make it to market, or some FED variant.

If my 61" LCoS set dies, I'll likely have to look at large LED DLPs. Except my wife has decreed that she wants the next one to be flat against the wall. I hope my set holds up for at least another 5 years.

I've looked at the DLP's but I also would really like a completely flat set. Also, from the DLP's I have seen, I really don't think they look nearly as good as a high end LCD or Plasma. My cousin recently purchased a 65" Mits DLP and I don't think it looks any better than my current 57" Hitachi RPTV (57S500). I guess I just have to hope my current set will last a while longer.

Yeah, I love LCD's business model. Keep premium LCD's that are 52" above $3000 and we'll all be happy :). Plasma kills LCD in the 50" dept and value. DLP kills em both in larger sizes. LCD wins if yout want something 37" and below :)

Then, just as soon as 50"+ lcd's get affordable, they drop it and go full OLED, then 50" tv's will be $3500 again :haha

That's the merry-go-round of TV's. After looking at Circuit City tonight, I've just about given up on the big LCD's and was really looking at the Samsung 58" plasma. I think it was the PN58A550. They had an open box with a small dent on the back for $2,490.00. I just really hate the heat these things put off. And I really would like the "no glare" the LCD's offer.

Also, if reflections bother you, the 2008 Pannys have a better anti glare screen. I highly recommend a 58" 800u. Its $2699 at Amazon,the THX mode offers good color settings and the blacks beat the Sammys.

As far as heat goes, my 50" 85u is barely noticeable if you stick your hand behind one of the 5 fans on the back. The screen gets a little warm, but they are nothing like the plasma I had 3 years ago.

Samsung will be making several 55" LCD instead of the 52" LCD this year. I believe they will still produce one 52" LCD in a new model.

Samsung B8000 Series | LN46B8000, LN55B8000
Ultra-Slim LED HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 240Hz. Available in 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. Featuring an Ultra Slim Design with chrome styling, and 240Hz Auto Motion Plus, twice as fast as other for enhanced picture quality during fast motion scenes.

Samsung B7000 Series | LN40B7000, LN46B7000, LN55B7000
Ultra-Slim LED HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 120Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. Ultra Slim Design in semi-transparent ruby with dewdrop-like lighting effect.

Samsung B6000 Series | LN40B6000, LN46B6000, LN55B7000
Eco-Friendly LED LCD HDTV. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. 40%+ decrease power consumption versus traditional LCD HDTVs of similar size.

Samsung B750 Series | LN40B750, LN46B750, LN52B750
LCD HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 240Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 52-inch sizes. ToC design in semi-transparent ruby finish. Fast Motion Picture Response Time , matching that of traditional CRT displays.

Last edited:
Samsung will be making several 55" LCD instead of the 52" LCD this year. I believe they will still produce one 52" LCD in a new model.

Samsung B8000 Series | LN46B8000, LN55B8000
Ultra-Slim LED HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 240Hz. Available in 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. Featuring an Ultra Slim Design with chrome styling, and 240Hz Auto Motion Plus, twice as fast as other for enhanced picture quality during fast motion scenes.

Samsung B7000 Series | LN40B7000, LN46B7000, LN55B7000
Ultra-Slim LED HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 120Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. Ultra Slim Design in semi-transparent ruby with dewdrop-like lighting effect.

Samsung B6000 Series | LN40B6000, LN46B6000, LN55B7000
Eco-Friendly LED LCD HDTV. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 55-inch sizes. 40%+ decrease power consumption versus traditional LCD HDTVs of similar size.

Samsung B750 Series | LN40B750, LN46B750, LN52B750
LCD HDTV with Auto Motion Plus 240Hz. Available in 40-inch, 46-inch, and 52-inch sizes. ToC design in semi-transparent ruby finish. Fast Motion Picture Response Time , matching that of traditional CRT displays.

Man that's good news. I wonder what kind of price they will carry??

You can get a 67 inch LED DLP Samsung for around $1,900 shipped. Having the LED instead of the bulb in this unit, the LED will get you 60,000 hours which they say should be the life of the tv set. That is the best bang for the buck that I have seen with the least amount of maintenance.

Well, if Im spending that much its on a Kuro. I cant help it, I just dont like LCD yet. The 950 though is a tv that shows LCD right on top of plasma now. I fully expect my next tv (4-5 years) will be in the 60" range and LCD, I dont know if Plasma will make it that long.

Well, if Im spending that much its on a Kuro. I cant help it, I just dont like LCD yet. The 950 though is a tv that shows LCD right on top of plasma now. I fully expect my next tv (4-5 years) will be in the 60" range and LCD, I dont know if Plasma will make it that long.

Yep. Pioneer Elites are still the standard that every company tries to reach.

DLP led are terrible for off center viewing. A lot worse than LCD. IMO is the only draw back for LCD and the biggest plus for Plasma.

I agree on the off center viewing. It is not very good on the LED DLP. It depends on the size of the television that you want as far as the best bang for the buck but I have seen 50 inch plasma televisions for $900 which seems very impressive to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts