Where are the FTA birds?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigjnsa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Ok, second day of playing with this. Kinda fun. However, I can't get any other bird than IA5. However, I have been able to get 101W (dish network) and some other one just right of 101. I thought 101W was AMC4, but doing a Power Scan the only free channel I get is "You've just setup a Super DISH" message. I see from lyngsat, that AMC is also 101. Is the Dish bird over powering AMC4?

Also, since I know where 101 is, can I use that as a reference to find whatever else is close?

Thanks!

They do not over power each other. What are you trying to pull in?
What setup are you using - dish, receiver, etc? Is it motorized?
What is your zip code or lat/lon?

Here are a few basic resourses.

US Satellites http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

Ku Band List http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

C Band List http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html

Skyvision FTA List http://skyvision.com/pages/information_center/fta_mpeg2_no_am_east.html

Skyvision Satellite Chart http://skyvision.com/pages/information_center/satarc1.htm

FTA List http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Channels/Channels-FTA-free-to-air-Satellite-TV.htm

Last edited:
Update: I finally got AMC4, BUT only 5 channels are coming thru even after a power scan.Lyngsat shows a lot of FTA, but I only get 5, include KUIL Fox. I'm wondering if I should manually enter the TPs for the NBC feeds.

Yes, if Power scan does not pull em in a manual/advanced scan may!

PSB. the weird thing here is some TPs come in but others don't. For instance KUIL Fox is 99% link, 95% quality. So I manually enter 3860 for the NBC feeds and I don't get anything on Quality. So I try another TP, this one 12120. I get 88% Link and 40-50% Quality. So I do a TP scan and it doesn't find any channels.

Question, is it common for the different TPs on the same bird to have different link/quality levels?

Thats normal, all TP's are different strengths.

Also not all TP's pop in with a blind scan!

Ah, that's good to know, but bummer I can't get the NBC feeds. I wanna watch the Olympics NOT on cable ;)

They should be digital or what was it, 4:2:2 and I think something special was needed to decode, not 100% sure.

OK, I thought last time they were all in the 4:2:2 thus not allowing the vast majority of us free access.

PSB can you reexplain the 4:2:2 deal and how I might be able to get it; cost effectively. Thanks

Last edited:
bigjnsa said:
So I manually enter 3860 for the NBC feeds and I don't get anything on Quality. So I try another TP, this one 12120.

The transponder frequencies with 4 digits, like 3860 are the C Band transponders and require a large (7-8 feet plus) dish with a C band LNB. The 5 digit numbers like 12120 are the Ku band transponders and require a smaller dish, generally 1 meter (39 inches) or less with a Ku band LNB. the LNB is the electronic signal pickup part on the dish where you attach the coax cable to. A C band LNB only works for C band frequencies and a Ku band LNB only works for Ku band frequencies.

Larry1 said:
The 5 digit numbers like 12120 are the Ku band transponders and require a smaller dish, generally 1 meter (39 inches) or less

I would reword it to say something like "it doesn't have to be as large as a typical c-band dish" as opposed to "requires a small dish". It is great to have a Ku dish as large as you can afford, even using a 8' - 10' BUD is GREAT. You just need the dual band feedhorn such as the CorotorII with quality low temperature LNBs. (when using a BUD) That way it doesn't make a newbie think you can't use a dish over 39" for Ku. But thats just me.

Larry1 said:
The transponder frequencies with 4 digits, like 3860 are the C Band transponders and require a large (7-8 feet plus) dish with a C band LNB. The 5 digit numbers like 12120 are the Ku band transponders and require a smaller dish, generally 1 meter (39 inches) or less with a Ku band LNB. the LNB is the electronic signal pickup part on the dish where you attach the coax cable to. A C band LNB only works for C band frequencies and a Ku band LNB only works for Ku band frequencies.

Thanks Larry. I kinda figured that out late last night.

charper1 said:
OK, I thought last time they were all in the 4:2:2 thus not allowing the vast majority of us free access.

PSB can you reexplain the 4:2:2 deal and how I might be able to get it; cost effectively. Thanks
Probably the cheapest way to get 4:2:2 is to use either an internal PCI card such as the Twinhan or Nexus-S in your PC, or an external USB-based solution such as the DVB World USB box or the Twinhan Starbox.

There are some high-end ($700) FTA receivers that will receive 4:2:2 as well as HD, and of course some commercial broadcast-grade receivers (VERY expensive) that will work. But the PC-based platform is the most cost-effective.

4:1:1 - The component digital video format with one Cb sample and one Cr sample for every four Y samples. 4:1 horizontal downsampling with no vertical downsampling. Chroma is sampled on every line, but only for every four luma pixels (i.e., 1 pixel in a 1 x 4 grid). This amounts to a subsampling of chroma by a factor of two compared to luma (and by a factor of four for a single Cb or Cr component). DVD uses 4:2:0 sampling, not 4:1:1 sampling.

4:2:0 - The component digital video format used by DVD, where there is one Cb sample and one Cr sample for every four Y samples (i.e., 1 pixel in a 2 x 2 grid). 2:1 horizontal downsampling and 2:1 vertical downsampling. Cb and Cr are sampled on every other line, in between the scan lines, with one set of chroma samples for each two luma samples on a line. This amounts to a subsampling of chroma by a factor of two compared to luma (and by a factor of four for a single Cb or Cr component).

4:2:2 - The component digital video format commonly used for studio recordings, where there is one Cb sample and one Cr sample for every two Y samples (i.e., 1 pixel in a 1 x 2 grid). 2:1 horizontal downsampling with no vertical downsampling. This allocates the same number of samples to the chroma signal as to the luma signal. The input to MPEG-2 encoders used for DVD is typically in 4:2:2 format, but the video is subsampled to 4:2:0 before being encoded and stored.

4:4:4 - A component digital video format for high-end studio recordings, where Y, Cb, and Cr are sampled equally.

Tron said:
Probably the cheapest way to get 4:2:2 is to use either an internal PCI card such as the Twinhan or Nexus-S in your PC, or an external USB-based solution such as the DVB World USB box or the Twinhan Starbox.
There are some high-end ($700) FTA receivers that will receive 4:2:2 as well as HD, and of course some commercial broadcast-grade receivers (VERY expensive) that will work. But the PC-based platform is the most cost-effective.

Thanks TRON, the PC card would go for me; the $500+ set-top receive would cause ME TO GO, by the wife.

charper1 said:
I would reword it to say something like "it doesn't have to be as large as a typical c-band dish" as opposed to "requires a small dish".

Yes I did not word that correctly as a larger dish will also work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts