Where does one place a inclinometer on a C-Band dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Where does one place a inclinometer on a C-Band dish? I'm going to buy one today and head up to my other location and attempt to finally get 99W on the C-band.

To the arm, back of the dish, or anywhere on the dish?

I searched the forums and saw where it mounts on a ku band dish, but could not locate where on a C-band dish.

Thanks

Bill, to get your elevation reading you need to put the inclinometer on the main elevation bar on your polar mount.

To get your declination you need to put it on the ring that the dish attaches to.

Attachments

• Sat Perfect 10 Polar Mount2.JPG
    Sat Perfect 10 Polar Mount2.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 937
Bill, to get your elevation reading you need to put the inclinometer on the main elevation bar on your polar mount.

To get your declination you need to put it on the ring that the dish attaches to.

Thanks for the answer, ....

BTW if anyone is looking for a inclinometer but can't find them at Lowes' site...

Lowes.... and some other stores know them as "Angle Finders".

Here is an inclinometer purchased at Home Depot $8 on my 6 foot dish (Polar mount). It is a big help. I took these pics when I was setting up my C band for NSS806 40.5W

Attachments

• Sat pics 1 002.jpg
    Sat pics 1 002.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Sat pics 1 007.jpg
    Sat pics 1 007.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 528
Thanks for your help.

With some tweaking, a couple of cans of WD-40, decent wrenches and the "Angle Finder" from Lowes ($9.50 incl tax) . I was able to get 99W tweaked in. I got the Virgin Islands mux and Lesea in with no problem, in fact.. The Virgin Island mux Quality was stronger than Lesea.

But no WAPA, KCHF and KCWY, just kind of strange that WAPA did not come in ....not hint of quality.

Another strange item was that I was watching the WABC 7 newscast out of NY on the Virgin Island ABC..saw the forecast.. they are going to get a lot of snow...

Now I have 99W C-band, 97 W Ku, 101W Ku and 119W Ion/Nasa connected to a DiSeqC 4x1 with a Fortec receiver at my second location. I now need to get some 22 khz switches and another dish or three.....

Anyone who installs more than one dish..needs a inclinometer/angle finder. I should have bought one.... months ago. They are cheap and save a lot of time. I really should have posted this in the C-band section.

Thanks again

Attachments

• DSCN0688.JPG
    DSCN0688.JPG
    953.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    997.4 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    977.6 KB · Views: 243
Now I have 99W C-band, 97 W Ku, 101W Ku and 119W Ion/Nasa connected to a DiSeqC 4x1 with a Fortec receiver at my second location.
I now need to get some 22 khz switches and another dish or three.....
See our Switches Simplified FAQ so you get the right switch and it all works the first time. - :cool:
Anyone who installs more than one dish..needs a inclinometer/angle finder.
I should have bought one.... months ago.
They are cheap and save a lot of time.
Last time Harbor Freight had the cheapie ones on sale, I got a 6-pack, both for myself and as gifts to friends. - :up
I feel the digital ones are more -necessary- for tuning up Ku band on a BUD than C-band on a BUD ....
... but that opinion may not be shared by others.

I loaned my analog angle finder (Lowes) out, never to be seen again. When I set up PortaBUD on 72w for NASA, I had to eyeball the elevation (not too difficult, since the SD180G is a prime focus dish) and azimuth (I don't use a compass). Still found the satellite in under five minutes, but I'm thinking of going for the digital meter from Harbor Freight to make things a little easier next time.

I like the magnetic inclinometer. I bought mine online for about $15 and it is very handy!
When you go to the site Mike045 mentioned, pay very close attention to ALL the details it mentioned.
You are getting the G4 (99W) great now, but when you start to track the arc belt, it will be more than likely need to adjust the true south. It describe this in detail.
Find out your latitude and read very carefully on how it go in play as far as setting the declination and elevation of the polar mount of the dish.
It will take a great deal of time, so BE PATIENT!!!
Keep us posted on your progress!

I loaned my analog angle finder (Lowes) out, never to be seen again. When I set up PortaBUD on 72w for NASA, I had to eyeball the elevation (not too difficult, since the SD180G is a prime focus dish) and azimuth (I don't use a compass). Still found the satellite in under five minutes, but I'm thinking of going for the digital meter from Harbor Freight to make things a little easier next time.

Tron, I have been thinking about getting one of those digital meters. It would come in handy for setting up my tablesaws in my shop, as well as the satellite dish setup.
I live not too far from the Harbor Freight in Memphis.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)