Where is the new DIRECTIVO?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
stogie5150 said:
I dont like the white remote either, it was one of the things i hated the most about my new HR20 when my HR10-250 went TU. I still don't like it. The TIVO remote was much better...to each his own I guess.

Never liked the Tivo remote....
If I had the extra cash id get a Universal remote

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

The only thing I liked about the old Directivos was the side by side guide, where you could click on a channel and see what was on all day without scrolling. It's not enough to make me want one though.

This is probably the best reason I've read about the delay of this product. I think you've hit the nail on it. D* was waiting to see where the whole Dish/Tivo lawsuit was going to make sure nothing serious would happen after the product would get released. Now here we are 3 years later and the product comes out completely outdated. If they do add more features to it within the next year to make it comparable with the rest of the HR's, (like 3D, MRV, an updated GUI, etc...), maybe more people will get it. But for now, this thing is pretty much a lame duck. And of course, with the HR34 out now, there's no way the Tivo could beat it even if the new features were added.

Actually, soon AFTER TiVo filed suit against Echostar (later to be split into Dish & Echostar) DirecTV agreed to develop the next DirecTiVo with TiVo ONLY after having TiVo contractually agree that TiVo would NOT sue DirecTV as part of the DirecTiVo agreement. Before the signatures were dried, DirecTV really held ALL the cards. DirecTV just moved the project along SLOW enough to avoid a breach of contract with its changing specs and feature set and . . . you get the picture. It has worked out exactly as DirecTV had planned. A 2006 platform TiVo in an old casing with NONE of the truly advanced and most sought after features. TiVo had no choice but to move everywhere DirecTV wanted it to while in that headlock. TiVo NEEDED the DirecTV deal as it was the ONLY one for a long time.

Also, Comcast did pretty much the same thing to TiVo, although NO contractual agreement for TiVo NOT to sue Comcast. After about $11 million and a whole lot of wasted time, Comcast announces they are abandoning the Comcast/TiVo product, but as a bone to TiVo, retail units would be able to access Comcast VOD. Pretty much the next day, Comcast announes Xfinity is around the corner, so to speak, with all its glorious bells and whistles.

And as for Charlie: he got out CHEAP with TiVo "Not wanting to wait for the Supreme Court [to decide if it would hear Dish's appeal]" was the reason Tom Rogers (TiVo CEO) gave for his sudden change in strategy. However, it is more likely that the full en banc decision that effectively said if offending DVR's still violate the patents, BUT in a DIFFERENT WAY (that would be pretty much Dish's workaround), it would require a whole NEW TRIAL. The en banc also tightened up the test for "colorably different" that would have made it more difficult for TiVo. Charlie was waiting for the right price, and TiVo agreed to it, and at terms more favorable to Dish. Oh, and Dish now OWNS those disputed TiVo patents, and TiVo some Dish patents relating to Dish's counter-suit.. Then Charlie goes on a buying spree as if the settlement were chump change, rather then the "gun to the head" huge windfall of OVER $5 per sub for Dish NOT to have to shut down its DVR's: the huge payday everyone predicted, had TiVo REALLY won. At least TiVo got some rent money out of all those years of crushing legal bills, also another reason Tom wanted to end the suit against Dish/Echsostar, and move on to better things at Virgin and other MSO's willing to offer TiVo for there cable systems.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why they would take a DirecTV TiVo over an HR24 or HR34?

Only the hardcore TiVo extreme fanboys would by this product. It is so easily inferior to what Direct's Media Center product, and inferior to even TiVo's retail product, except this one will record DirecTV. These folks think that the TiVo interface is IT. The BEST. So warm and fuzzy they feel. However, even at the TiVo forums, most members feel the same as the rest of us: DirecTiVo is a huge disappointment with all the same reasons posted here. Those rational intelligent TiVo owners, including current DirecTV subs, can't see any compelling reason to get the new DirecTiVo.

In regards to your "technical reasons" question: NONE. As in NO technical superiority with the old 2006 Series 3 platform that is to be the new DirecTiVO. Especially since they can't even network and transfer shows like the retail versions of the Series 3. This is a gutless, neutered product from DirecTV & TiVo.

If D* were to develop a tivo based on the hr24 platform, would that make a difference in your choice of getting a D* tivo?

Or if the current D* tivo had mrv capabilities and vod, would that change your mind.

If D* were to develop a tivo based on the hr24 platform, would that make a difference in your choice of getting a D* tivo?

Or if the current D* tivo had mrv capabilities and vod, would that change your mind.
It would be nice if they had a DirecTV TiVo with the same features as the standalone TiVo with many of the DirecTV features. Then I can understand people choosing one over the other.

The only thing I liked about the old Directivos was the side by side guide, where you could click on a channel and see what was on all day without scrolling. It's not enough to make me want one though.

As far as checking to see what is on a channel all day, you CAN do that with the current D* set up.

If you go to the Guide, find the channel you want and instead of being in the times area, move over the channel number and hit "Info" this will populate the shows that are scheduled for this channel for you.

As far as checking to see what is on a channel all day, you CAN do that with the current D* set up.

If you go to the Guide, find the channel you want and instead of being in the times area, move over the channel number and hit "Info" this will populate the shows that are scheduled for this channel for you.
Thanks for the tip. I have had a HR-22 for three years and an old R-15 before that,and never found that. Guess I should read a manual occasionally.:D

I tried this. It is a little different and a little slow to load compared to what I remember from Tivo, but the information is there. Thanks for pointing it out.

-Ted

So, I picked up a couple of used Tivo HDs in support of my move to OTA when my D* contract is up. After playing around with them for an hour, I remembered how easy Tivos were to use. Yes, the SD GUI is not nearly as pretty as the D* HD GUI, but it is clearly readable and provides very snappy performance compared to my HR24s. The THR22 does not have the nice MRV functionality, but I would give that up if I could count on the receiver to respond when I press list, guide, exit, etc. I really wish DirecTV had never abandoned Tivo back in 2005 as I loved my HR10-250 and my DVR40. After yesterday's experience, I would get the THR22 if I was signing up for DirecTV now as a new customer. If OTA does not work out for me, I may consider switching to the THR22 if I renew with D*. Maybe by then, MRV will be working, even if it is just the Tivo-style transfer of recordings.

-Ted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts